[list]
[]Too cool for school
[
]Too hot to handle
[]Too cold to hold
[
]Has to wear shades
[/list]

Maybe someone misstook it for a port-a-john…

Would this work for cooling the upstairs of a home in the summer?

Does it produce heat output like a typical AC unit, and if so, how does it vent?

It’s an evaporative cooler, not an air conditioner, so no, it does not vent heat.

It depends on where you live and what the humidity is like in your area. These work well in dry, desert conditions; they don’t work at all well in humid conditions.

They do produce heat but it’s just the heat generated by running a fan, so they don’t need to be vented the way that a room air conditioner would.

These are evaporative coolers; sometimes called a swamp cooler. Heat is absorbed as the water changes from a liquid state to a gaseous state. A fan moves the cooler wet air around.

These only really work if the humidity of the air is pretty low. If the air is humid, then they will just make the air ‘stickier’ and more uncomfortable. However, if the term “but it’s a dry heat” applies to your area, then this style cooler might work for you.

2 problems with these coolers, but I will say they do work

1. the pads or elements the water filters through become so dirty from dust and requires cleaning or replacement. Bacteria loves this.
  2. if you use tap water the impurities from the water will also ruin the filters and elements.

Replacement and cleaning is a constant demand on indoor units.
The good thing about the indoor coolers, summertime humidifiers. but as the humidity rises in the house the cooler is not as efficient. Swamp coolers work in and only in arid regions.

This won’t work in my humid area, but your comment got me thinking about inline hose filters to help prolong the usefulness of these to whomever gets one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00566BDKO/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00566BDKO&pd_rd_wg=7Hqtf&pd_rd_r=JP3F3WGSMSBAB0N0NDJ1&pd_rd_w=KUnz1

There are several varieties of these. Not sure which is best for this.

I used to work at a place where we had giant versions of these (same brand, too). They do a decent enough job if you’re in a dry enough area (we were in the desert).
Think of them less like an AC unit and more like a step between an AC unit and a fan. They’re not gonna cool an area to a chilly 70 degrees, but man do they feel good when it’s 100 out and you have to work in it.

Duh! Who doesn’t use an outdoor Port-A-Cool cooler right next to their outdoor swimming pool?!?