Portable Digital Media Players

Concerning the Samsung YP-G70. I have one of these and like it very much. If you don’t need a phone, but want most everything else a Samsung phone can do (assuming you have wi-fi) then it’s a pretty good deal. I think I paid a bit more than $110 for mine, but that was a while back. It does have some quirks I’ve learned to live with, mostly from apps that don’t always play well. I mainly wanted one to be an MP3 player in the car, and it works well for that (I use “Car Tunes”), but has other stuff you can use, say at airports or Starbucks. Oddly enough, the Starbucks app does NOT work on it (they want you to have an actual cell phone), but most of the Android apps I’ve tried have worked.

Sigh, I hate it when they drop the price right after I buy one. :frowning:

Isn’t this essentially just a
mini tablet???

Why are these so expensive still? I could buy a phone with expandable memory for less money than this. It will do the same thing plus I can call people. Ok maybe I won’t get HD video on the device but I am one of those people who will never understand why anyone would want to watch a movie on less than a 14" screen which is still painful.

Is the battery new on the 16G I pod?

The Galaxy Players are great. in addition to running apps and the fm radio, they make great voip phones. unlike Apple products, Samsung has put in quality micropones and revievers in these units. You can download several voip apps for these including Google Voice and Talkfone (uses Google Voice). In addition the 3.4 and 4.2 models have a neat trick-- they have a built in feature that lets you use the player as a handset for a dumbphone. I have a 3.4 and I can pair it to a dumbphone (bluetooth 3.0 not the older bluetooth) and keep the dumbphone in my bag and answer any incoming calls on the player. Unfortunalely since they is no dialer, you can only call out using the phone minutes by using the contacts list.
http://m.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-players/YP-GS1CB/XAA#features

The Galaxy Players are great. in addition to running appa and the fm radio, they make great voip phones. unlike Apple products, Samsung has put in quality micropones and revievers in these units. You can download several voip apps for these including Google Voice and Talkfone (uses Google Voice). In addition the 3.4 and 4.2 models have a neat trick-- they have a built in feature that lets you use the player as a handset for a dumbphone. I have a 3.4 and I can pair it to a dumbphone (bluetooth 3.0 not the older bluetooth) and keep the dumbphone in my bag and answer any incoming calls on the player. Unfortunalely since they is no dialer, you can only call out using the phone minutes by using the contacts list.

I got the 4.2 the last time they were on sale here and it’s great. I had a Creative Zen 30GB that finally died (battery) and thought this would be a great alternative. When using the FM radio you need to have the earphones in as that is the antenna. You can switch to the built in speakers. If you had Bluetooth headphones and were using the FM radio you would probably need to have the wired earbuds plugged in to get reception.

I also like that the battery is easily replaceable ( think its the same as the galaxy S3). From what I can tell from online research the 5" has a sodderd in battery.

Good deal at this price.

In a sense it is. It comes with Google Play and everything works on it very well. It’s biggest limitation is Android 2.3.5 is a bit out of date so some newer apps don’t work on it. But Google knows that and only shows you the apps that do work.

I’ve been carrying one of these in my shirt pocket for about 3 years since they first came out and it’s extremely handy.

Barry

The refurbished iPod nano is $10 more expensive than one directly from Apple, where you can pick your color and you get a one year warranty.

How do the galaxy players compare to an Ipod touch 4th gen?

anyone using the Samsung player with iTunes? I know there are droid apps you can do that with, wondering if its worth it…

Does anybody know if that $8 Global MP4 player supports playback of games (Java or otherwise)?

Does anyone know if the Global 4GB MP3 player ($7.99) has an FM radio?

No games. No radio. Basic mp3 player.

Especially if you like to play around & tinker with rooting Android devices, or are interested in learning how to root devices, these are a great deal! High quality Samsung products (not all plastic-feeling as the galaxy S3 & S4 phones lately). And once rooted, you can upgrade these to Android 4.0 and 4.1 versions. Just like mini wi-fii tabkets…very fun! I currently have 2 of the 5" of these players and still use them frequently. Get em for your kids that want a stinky iPad too…so much that any one can done with these!

Heh. I’m getting the 5" to flash CM on. Sadly, you lose the camera function since they haven’t figured out how to fix it over at XDA.

Going to be nice playing all my Humble Bundles on. Plus that new Plants Vs Zombies 2. Only recently switched to Windows Phone after a few Androids over the last two years.

Anyone have theirs ship yet? Mine has been getting ready since the 5th. (My first woot BTW :D)

Hey, welcome to Woot! This will take 3-5 days to ship from the vendor. Hang in there, new wooter!

Found it on Fedex. Typical woot apparently. It was 30 minutes away from me, but it went on vacation to New Jersey, hahahaha.