Portable Sonar Fish Finder

[QUOTE=kpearson, post:14, topic:241759]
200 kHz and 20 degree cone angle will be good for fresh water not salt water. It will work in salt just not all that well. This will be great for having at the local lake or pond. I’ll be in for one even though my wife will beat me![/quote

Can you expand on your statement that it won’t work as well in salt water? My interest is not in finding fish but in measuring the depth of salt water when my built in fathometer fails.

Thanks.

Isn’t using one of these kind of cheating? I thought the whole point of going fishing was to have an alternative activity you tell the wife so you can get away with drinking during the day.

I just bought one. My first woot. I need it by Thursday. I really hope it comes.

Highly Unlikely, sorry.

It works by sound? Like, the fish are real heavy breathers, or tap dancing on wooden floors down there?

That piece o’ crapola looks like the crappy little electric games that I used to get as a stocking stuffer as a kid at Christmas. Just $3.99 during the bluelight special at K-Mart.

doot doot doot doot doot doot ehhhhhhnk

I’ll drop it in my aquarium and get back to you on that!

Yes, it’s a mythical creature icon that shows up for Nessie or Cthulhu.

Once upon a time, I worked for a company that sold this same thing, it was version one.

http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/products/main.htm

[QUOTE=speedoo]

[QUOTE=kpearson, post:21, topic:241759, post:14, topic:241759]
200 kHz and 20 degree cone angle will be good for fresh water not salt water. It will work in salt just not all that well. This will be great for having at the local lake or pond. I’ll be in for one even though my wife will beat me!
[/quote

Can you expand on your statement that it won’t work as well in salt water? My interest is not in finding fish but in measuring the depth of salt water when my built in fathometer fails.

Thanks.[/quote]

you should buy a hand held sonar, it would work better. See the link in my post above.

Even if you don’t fish, this may make a cheap depth sounder for kayaking/canoeing.

• One touch control for extreme east of use

typo “east”

So how does it know which way is down?
And would this work for hide and seek, or knowing if someone was following you down a dark alley?

is the handheld portion of it waterproof?

Will the float support both the sensor and display, if it gets knocked in the water while reaching for another beer?

Does it show where your line/treble-hook is, in relation to the fish, for easier snagging? Hey, some-days you can force the bait down their throat, and I hate going home half drunk, and no fish. Makes it look like we were just out drinking.

http://www.amazon.com/Koolatron-Sonar-Fish-Finder/dp/B000Q739VO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1249231959&sr=8-8
No reviews, cost $29.97 + shipping $6.99

I wonder how many wires are in that cable. I want to mount the transducer inside my kayak hull and also be able to detach the display unit when not in use. I’m going to have to install some sort of connector.

not sure if this is a joke, or you just don’t care about science classes.

it takes up to five days before item is shipped. then you add the time for delivery service.
if you see this icon

http://sellout.woot.com/Images/Icons/64x64/SmartPost.png

give about a week and half* and be very patient.

*results may vary.

You expect this to arrive by Thursday? BWAHAHAHA!!! Oh, sorry. I just noticed that you’re new here. It might make a nice XMAS gift.

you should hit it; it’s just too low priced…there is no guarantee you will catch fish with it, but it’s good to know that you aren’t dropping line on where you know there isn’t any, that is the real benefit of a unit like this…and it’s also nice to know the depth…

either spend the $25 here (and i’ve never seen a fish finder this cheap) or spend $150+ on a real nice sonar (like the Hummingbird models; i got one)…