PortaMate Drill Bit Set, 300-Pack

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/4255ff82-1738-4b1d-b492-0ab49053cc95.jpg

PortaMate Drill Bit Set, 300-Pack
Price: $59.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $21 Two-Day OR $24 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, Mar 21 to Monday, Mar 24) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](PortaMate Drill Bit Set, 300-Pack) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=PortaMate Drill Bit Set, 300-Pack) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](PortaMate - Google Shopping Drill Bit Set, 300-Pack)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/4/2014 - $59.99 - 19 comment(s)
1/15/2014 - $59.99 (Woot-off) - 0 comment(s)
12/2/2013 - $59.99 (Woot-off) - 3 comment(s)

12/4/2013 - $59.99 (Woot Plus)

Check out the product page

Wow so it’s mostly metric sizing… not what most people will be expecting to get in a “300 piece set”

Wow! What a great deal! Seriously! I would buy it right now except it would be a pain to have to print out and try to keep a conversion chart in the box.

great set for the general home owner. don’t expect to drill though 1/4 or larger steel plate but will work well around your home !

This is exactly what I would expect in a 60.00 dollar bit set. Mostly metric and low quality, I am sure the smaller bits will break very easily.

I received one of these for Christmas from my Brother-in-Law. It is junk! The spade bits have no bevel for cutting. It is difficult to get the drill bits out of the tray. I think these sets are for display only and not to be used.These are the worst tools I’ve seen from China. This is my first post on Woot and unfortunately it is a warning. Don’t buy this!

[QUOTE=jimpow66, post:8, topic:414323]
I received one of these for Christmas from my Brother-in-Law. It is junk! The spade bits have no bevel for cutting. It is difficult to get the drill bits out of the tray. I think these sets are for display only and not to be used.These are the worst tools I’ve seen from China. This is my first post on Woot and unfortunately it is a warning. Don’t buy this![/quo

Do you still get along with your brother in-law?

[QUOTE=lichme, post:3, topic:414323]
Check out the product page[/qoute]

I think the metric content posting is incorrect.

If you look closely at the Woot! images, the bits slots have fractional inch markings.

My comments below of the same set in early Feb. Since then, a friend has purchased this set and I was able to see it. My advise is to pass on this item!

The 300 pieces in this set are made of a lot of items, of which only 116 of them are the traditional round, high speed steel drill bits (the type that will drill into metal or wood). All of these bits are metric sizes and they are packed in multiples of several sizes. The remainder of the items are hole saws, flat wood bits (I never use these), driver bits (as in screw driver bits), masonry bits, the plastic case and a few other parts.

By the way, all of the 116 drill bits are metric, as well as the hole saws and flat wood bits. I know that we are in the process of adopting the metric system in this country, but we are a long way from being there yet. So why are there not at least some American sized parts in this set?

Finally, this set must be very new in this market place. I’ve found very few reviews of this item…and those which I did find are not too complimentary. I’m going to wait until I could see more positive reviews.

The REAL Specifications

Acme Tools Brand Name:

PORT A MATE

Acme Tools Part Number:

PM1300

Assembled Weight (lbs):

Bit Sizes:

0,1,2,3 t10,t15,t20,t25,t27,t30,t40,t45, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 9/32, and 5/16

Case Included:

Yes

Drill Bit Size:

3/64, 1/16,5/64,3/32, 7/64, 1/8, 9/64, 5/32, 11/64, 3/16, 13/64, 7/32, 15/64, 1/4, 17/64, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8,

Drilling Bit Piece Count In Kit:

Driving Bit Configuration:

55 slot, Phillips, Allen, Torx, and other

Internet Product Code (IPC):

E8B34524C03

Magnetic:

Yes

Number of Nut Driver Bits:

Package Weight:

Quick Change Chuck Included:

No

Quick Change Kit:

No

Screwdriving Bit Piece Count In Kit:

Specialty Bit Configuration:

wood spade bits 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1-1/4

Total Piece Count In Kit:

Warranty:

MANUFACTURES 1 YEAR WARRANTY

Internal Supplier Part #:

PM1300

MFG Brand Name:

Port A Mate

MFG Model # (Series):

PM1300

MFG Name:

Port A Mate

MFG Part # (OEM):

PM1300

Packaging Level:

BASE_UNIT_OR_EACH

Product Name:

300 piece Drill Bit and Accessory Super Set

Supplier Company Name:

Port A Mate

UPC:

Yeah hey guys, you can clearly see non-metric markings on not only the container next to smaller drill bits, but STAMPED on the actual wood bits. This is not a metric only set. You can put away the pitchforks now.

That is assuming the picture is correct and the description is wrong.

The description is neither right or wrong … it abstains by not answering the question.

Hey TT… any idea on what you actually get with this?

I don’t know, the success of Wile E. Coyote and “Acme” brand has a dubious history - just saying…

this particular kit is 1 of 2 “common” chinese drill kits on ebay, with that said, this price seems a bit lower than those when you include shipping, so thats good.

I recently purchased the other of the 2. I suspect the bits are more or less the same.

Heres my 2 cents, the drills work… are they the best drills ever? obviously not. but sometimes you just need a hole… infact, its pretty rare that you need an absolutely specific sized hole where metric vs imperial units would ever matter. just opening up a space so the wood doesnt split or to make room for a bolt. a fraction of a MM variance between the MM and inch conversion is well within the tolerance for these jobs.

These are the sledgehammers of the drill bit world, and as far as I am concerned, they are invaluable. these are the bits you dont cry about breaking, you lose them in the grass and dont bat an eye. I would never own a GOOD drill bit without owning a set of crappy ones, lest I ever be tempted to reach for the good one when I plan to do something stupid.

As a retired journeyman machinist take my word for it, these are junk. Don’t have them, but don’t have to, to know they are junk. Never buy cheap tools, it never pays off.

According to the picture posted for this offering, there are some SAE drills and sockets in this set. This assumes that the picture is correct and actually the set you would be getting. I can only tell you that the set which I saw, which was purchased on woot during Dec of Jan last included no SAE sizes that I remember seeing.

I do agree that a machinist would never use these. Someone putting together a swing set sure could.