PortaMate Drill Bit Set, 300-Pack

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]

PortaMate Drill Bit Set, 300-Pack
Price: $61.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $21 Two-Day OR $24 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Tuesday, Oct 13 to Wednesday, Oct 14) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](PortaMate Drill Bit Set, 300-Pack) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=PortaMate Drill Bit Set, 300-Pack) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](PortaMate - Google Shopping Drill Bit Set, 300-Pack)

Good reviews (3.5 out of 5.0) over at Sears.com

Product Page

sure would be nice to know what size bits were included? is max 1/2? 3/8? 3/4? who knows?

In the “Features” listing is a link for what’s included:
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/50b6fc1a-f6e2-4c67-9833-dd41b60282ef.pdf

Meh. No number or letter drills, also no metric. But has multiple small drills of the same size so you can pick your teeth with the spares or something.

I bought this set from Woot months ago and unfortunately, I only opened it up to look for shipping damage. When I finally needed to use it months later, I realized that about 75% of the bits were not accurate in size, chipped, improperly finished, and even worse, many had a curve to them and weren’t straight. I only noticed this when I put them in a drill press and rather than spin evenly at the drill point, they had a huge spiral, so there goes your size accuracy or any accuracy at all. These are clearly MADE IN CHINA quality. Even for the few bits that are usable, it’s not worth the price. The small blue metal plate that lets you quickly determine the size of drill bits is also incorrect. I took some digital calipers to it and most of the holes were inaccurate. I guess they used the same inaccurate drill bits they are selling, nice work CHINA!

As a professional, let me tell you this- if you need 300 (mostly) different kinds of bit, you need something much higher quality. If you can make do with the quality, no way do you need 300 bits.

Overall quality is garbage. I bought this set a few months ago. The drill bits don’t hold an edge. The hole saws don’t last long enough to finish a single hole.

Weren’t these $50 just two weeks ago?

I wonder if WOOT relieses the damage to their image this does every time they list this item.

I have come to the conclusion that WOOT acts as a portal to out side vendors that pay to display their products. That’s the reason the warranty and return process is the way it is. I have noticed over time that when a product is crap and we comment on it an account (seller of the product) signs on and gives a rousing comment to try and get the product moving.

I think you’ve pretty much nailed it. To see the same crap products showing up over and over, they have definitely lost their way since the days before the Mothership when they actually sold things using the liquidation model vs the flea market model. The only thing that keeps woot going is the old wooters still addicted the suprise of seeing what’s on for the day and the empty hope of someday possibly seeing a real deal.

Well, that’s kind of Woot’s business. I don’t think it’s affecting their image when they have a product (like this or the previous set) that they’ve obtained and are trying to move; they know what they bought, and they took a calculated market risk to try to move the items to consumers. It’s not their branding, it’s not a product anyone at Woot made with their own hands, it’s just a thing in a warehouse that they’re selling. Can you also blame a company’s account rep for logging into an account to clarify or explain product features or descriptions? In my time on the site, I’ve never seen an example of a customer service rep making unrealistic claims, nor has Woot let them.

This isn’t your Woot, and that’s cool. In true Woot fashion, let’s have the other Woot-ers buy this carrot-tastic item, and see what comes up next. Life goes on :slight_smile:

In what world is 3.5 / 5 good?!

[QUOTE=Turc, post:14, topic:490692]
Well, that’s kind of Woot’s business. I don’t think it’s affecting their image when they have a product (like this or the previous set) that they’ve obtained and are trying to move; they know what they bought, and they took a calculated market risk to try to move the items to consumers. It’s not their branding, it’s not a product anyone at Woot made with their own hands, it’s just a thing in a warehouse that they’re selling. Can you also blame a company’s account rep for logging into an account to clarify or explain product features or descriptions? In my time on the site, I’ve never seen an example of a customer service rep making unrealistic claims, nor has Woot let them.

This isn’t your Woot, and that’s cool. In true Woot fashion, let’s have the other Woot-ers buy this carrot-tastic item, and see what comes up next. Life goes

I think you missed something: when something is junk and it looks like this product is,when you don’t pull it , keep on displaying it,how do you justify it? It sends a message to buyers, we don’the care.

No. A couple weeks ago it was a 400 piece for $50.

(That makes sense…???)

Nah, I acknowledge that this product isn’t something I and most other consumers won’t want, and will likely be condemned to an early morning WootOff item (and WootOff killer) It’s justifiable because that’s business. It’s not like they’re dressing it up and saying it’s the best thing ever, so I don’t see what the issue is.

It does seem this set would be good for one thing that comes to mind. I could take this over to a friend’s house that’s planning on doing some drilling, carefully conceal it behind my back and wait until he pulls out his drill bit set. And then, I could quickly pull this set out from behind my back and say, “That’s not a drill bit set; this is a drill bit set!”

These bits are crap.They are not made of hardened steel and won’t drill through anything harder than soft pine. Save your money.