Porter-Cable Nailers - Your Choice

@RevRagnarok, yikes! Those are a lot of problems with that HF tool. You sir, are a very patient person.

Even for DYI work, our time is valuable or we wouldn’t consider speed-improving tools like these.

(Although, I’ll admit nailers also improve fastening quality due to consistency and appearance due to no hammer marks in the material.)

There are very few (single use, very specialized?) things I would consider at HF. I’ve stupidly learned the hard way too many times.

I buy many items from HF. I have yet to be disappointed. There are a few things I expected to be disposable, and they usually are, but my stapler, three nailers (plus palm nailer) and spray guns have all been terrific.

I’ve used a CO2 tank with a regulator to run my PC pneumatic stapler, it’s quieter and doesn’t need an outlet. Might be an option for the occasional user, but compressors are more economical for most people.

I picked up the Porter Cable Finisher a year or two ago and it ROCKS. Never had an issue with it.

I find that the 3 gallon pancake compressors work, but they’re extremely loud and you’ll be hitting the compressor after every few nails. My friend donated a 10 gallon compressor tank and a quieter air compressor that really makes a huge difference in efficiency.

I have the framing nailer (and a brad nailer and stapler) and absolutely love them. I bought a 6 gallon tank + 3 gun set up for about $299 and use it CONSTANTLY, whether it’s nailing, inflating a tire, blowing out a vacuum filter, inflating a kids pool, etc. My compressor is THE most used tool in my my garage. My neighbor has a 30 gallon compressor and uses it to blow out his in-ground sprinklers at the end of the season.

I initially bought my set up for a project in my house replacing the moulding but have found a million other projects since.

Seriously, if you’re a home-owner, go ahead and get one of these setups. The 6 gallon “pancake” style compressor is sufficient for most of your projects but you’ll soon be envious when you go through a car wash and see a 100 gallon unit mounted to the floor. ME WANTS! ME WANTS!

Thank you. That was extremely helpful. As much as I’d love to have a roofing nailer I really wouldn’t have much use for it after I roofed my shed especially if I can use my framing nailer with ring shanks on the siding. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Received my finish nailer a couple days ago, went to HD and got some nails, and cut all my trim.
Nailer will not retract after shooting a nail? I have to disconnect the air and reconnect after each nail. This could take a loooonnng time.
I tried everything I could think of, changed air pressure, read the manual even.

You’ve got a one year warranty through Black & Decker. Have you tried contacting their support? They may have some ideas for you.