Post Mongering 4/28/22 (Part 3)

Dave does draw in 1000 post blocks

6 Likes

Historically, Dave picks 1 winner for every 1000 posts made. If you look at the winning post numbers, you’ll notice that there is 1 winner for each 1000 post range. So, based on this, I’m presuming he uses excel for each 1000 post range (1-1000, 1001-2000, etc…) to pick a post number with possibly the RANDBETWEEN function. I asked him if that’s the function he uses in a previous mongering but he has yet to confirm or deny.

5 Likes

I was reviewing the posts.
You were posting 3-4 gifs to each of mine, and padowan was getting about the same with wootybots.

I thought that I was posting at a good rate!
Guess it’s time to upgrade from my iPhone X.
Maybe 5G model would be faster?

1 Like

I post faster with my desktop than I do my phone (even with 5G or on wi-fi) and it lets me do other things simultaneously like pet my dogs when they’re needy.

9 Likes

Well since my internet consists of my phone’s hotspot, and I’m happy steaming/casting to tv, and don’t want to pay for additional internet provider, I’ll make do.

Added the period at the end of the sentence for Frosty.

1 Like

Do you think @davejlives can figure out by 2000s rather than 1000s?

Now I’m kurious–if someone does get picked twice, does s/he win two boxes?

As for the WootyBot issue, why not just add to the “no macros” part with “no WootyBot unless necessary due to posting limits” and see if most folks respect the request?

>Kat

I like wootybot🤷🏻‍♀️

1 Like

He could just by changing the parameters on the RANDBETWEEN function (if that’s what he’s using) but it doesn’t address the concern he made earlier as follows:

So, limiting the use of wootbot would be a counter to inflating post numbers but then that prevents posters from bypassing the 10 post limit message (which I’ve gotten before too). A practical (but not necessarily the only) resolution would be what I proposed earlier about if wootbot is chosen from the block group that the poster who called up wootbot be disqualified as a winner from that block group.

Expanding the block group from 1000 to 2000 does nothing to address the wootbot issue which @davejlives himself said is “a bit of a cheat”. Instead, I think it’ll only exacerbate the situation by encouraging more posters to use wootbot in order to meet the increased 2000 post threshold.

A possible disqualification for using wootbot would potentially discourage posters from using wootbot and likely would reduce the inflation of posts. It would still allow users to call up wootbot but there’s a risk to it. This method would require little additional effort on @davejlives other than notating who was disqualified so they are not picked in that block group again.

In the end though, it’s all up to @davejlives. However, I’d hate to see mongering be cancelled or be done less often because there are too many winners due to post inflation or it becomes too complicated to manage for the cat.

7 Likes

I also had serious issues while posting. The ‘Needy Dog Syndrome’ seems to increase the faster I try to post.
Pretty soon, I’m balancing my laptop on top of Shelby while Blazer is stretched out on the arm of the chair.
There seems to be no real cure for NDS, so I deal with it. :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

I never noticed that. I knew the very first one that I didn’t participate in was like that, but that was done more or less in real time from what I can deduce.

shooting star GIF

4 Likes

Actually post range would probably be 2- 1001, 1002 -2001, etc to account for either @davejlives or system being the 1st post for each thread. This would also allow for 20001 to be included at the end of each thread.

BTW, I’m fairly certain I never summoned wootbot during any of my posts this mongering.

3 Likes

Wootbot, should you be allowed in future post mongerings?

@WootyBot fortune

4 Likes

:crystal_ball: My sources say no

Wootybot has spoken.

5 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @wootybot display help.

I think it makes sense to keep things simple and encourage no wootybot use same as macros. If wootybot is chosen then it’s a DQ for that block. The 10 post limit is a shame but it also limits one person from dominating a block. It’s supposed to be fun and random after all, needing others to post keeps things balanced.

Thats my vote at least, though nobody said we are voting. It doesn’t really matter what is decided, my questions were to get an answer either way since I’d hate to get disqualified for using wootybot without knowing ahead of time.

6 Likes

That would definitely simplify it but it would be a deterrent for all posters in that block, not just the poster utilizing wootbot. I wouldn’t bother posting anymore if I saw someone spamming wootbot as that entire block group would have a high potential to be DQ’d.

However, it’d likely reduce the number of winners this way.

4 Likes

I posted from my laptop using my ISP but kept getting I was posting too fast warnings which was definitely NOT the case compared to previous mongerings. Seemed like somehow it was on my end as others didnt have the same experience.

5 Likes

At some point a politician probably said some of these things.

1 Like

I could do without wootybot,
In the wee hours, I only used him after 10 consecutive posts, and waiting (seemed like an eternity) for someone else to post, that I could resume, and no one else was posting.

5 Likes