PowerBlock Personal Trainer Set

PowerBlock Personal Trainer Set

Iā€™ve been on the wait-list to get a set of bowflex 552s delivered for months :sob:. Definitely gonna think about cancelling for these

1 Like

These things are great. The chrome cylinder inner weights by themselves are great for shadowboxing, YTWLs and such.

2 Likes

I would. Read up on how the Bowflex ones can fail, if there is a problem. The critical retention tab is plastic and can break dropping plates while doing an exercise. Not sure if it is still an issue, they may have corrected it in the years since I got mine, but when I had a similar choice I went with Weider Core dumbells. They use a central metal cylinder instead of plastic tabs to hold the plates, and when I have 50lbs in each hand over my face I am more comfortable with something overbuilt and metal.

I may pick these up even though I have a 2x50lb set already, since Iā€™m starting to need more weight and powerblock makes expansion kits where other brands donā€™t.

1 Like

If this is the ā€œpersonal trainerā€ model as described it is NOT expandable. There are plenty of reviews online that describe the different models. This is one of the ā€œMade in the USAā€ models (as opposed to the ā€œ2020ā€ models that were made overseas and sold at Walmart, Dickā€™s, etc.), so itā€™s a good set and a good price, just not expandable.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip, Iā€™ll skip this one then since the 90lb capacity us what Iā€™m after.

1 Like

My friends and I have been using the expandable types for year. Def worth it if youā€™re doing the home gym. He has the expansion to 125 and they live up to the ā€˜blockā€™ name at that point but absolutely worth it

2 Likes

Is this one block or two?

1 Like

When I heard you on the radioā€¦uhā€¦I just donā€™t knowā€¦

1 Like

The dumbbell set is a pair of dumbbells. This means there are two dumbbells, one for each hand. I just recently bought a set of Pro Series Expandable and so far it has been great. As noted by previous commenters, this Personal Trainer set is not expandable. There are expandable sets where you can add two additional stages: 50-70lbs and 70-90lbs.

IMHO I believe the size of the powerblocks is better than the bowflex because the width of the powerblock dumbbell is slimmer. The powerblock plates are square and have a larger surface area than the bowflex circular plates so the square plates can be thinner. This means when you do a dumbbell bench press, you can bring your hands closer together at the peak of the exercise.

1 Like

Had these for a couple yearsā€¦needed some more weight so sold them on local Facebook marketplace for 340 and moved to the pro model with expansions. These were good and the feel is really natural and compact. Noisier compared to pros.

1 Like

Yeah for anyone reading this, if you want the ones that you can expand to 70 or 90 lbs you donā€™t want this one. You want Powerblock Elite which is the same price I believe on their website.

1 Like

I have the Bowflex 1090 and theyā€™re pretty fragile. If go with these over the Bowflex any day, but I went with Ironmaster instead when I got new dumbbells because the Bowflex 1090s werenā€™t cutting it. I still use them for exercises where I donā€™t drop them just because I can switch weights faster, but objectively, the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells are crap.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input! Cancelled the Bowflex and have a set of these on the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

100% I would if I were you.

Only downside of these compared to other Powerblock series is that these probably arenā€™t expandable. Most people donā€™t need much beyond 50lbs, though.

Check with local gym supply stores. I just got a set a few weeks ago after being on a waitlist for some time.