Praxis Cellars Sonoma County Viognier (6)

Praxis Cellars Sonoma County Viognier 6-Pack
$79.99 $138.00 42% off List Price
2012 Praxis Viognier, Sonoma County
CT link above

Winery website

I didn’t realize the Klingons set up shop in Sonoma.

Man, the write-up missed a golden opportunity to say “Praxis makes perfect.”

Have any wooters tried this? If so, any notes?

Good, someone already made the Star Trek reference so I don’t have to.

Well, CT has some decent tasting notes on the previous 2 vintages, but there’s nothing on this one. And I’ve been out of the business for long enough I don’t keep more than a vague eye on vintages.

Maybe the mothership is evaluating the cost-effectiveness of sample bottles vs. purchase amounts. I know there aren’t any golden tickets anymore, but somehow tasting notes seemed to occur… until fairly recently.

This certainly seems like something I’d jump on, but I’ve got a dearth of white right now (with a cold front coming in) and there aren’t any tasting notes, so I’m going sadly to take a pass.

Here are some of our notes on the Viognier. Happy to answer any questions you have.

Gold Medal 2014 S. F. Chronicle Wine Competition
Best of Class 2013 Indy Intl. Wine Competition

We have been making Viognier for more than a decade. Bill loves the body and flavors of this white wine varietal – and prefers to make it in a European style. This is our second Best of Class award in two years on our Viognier; this time in an international field.

Our Viognier is crisp, dry and full bodied with a lingering finish of ripe fruit. To retain the purest expression of the grapes, the wine was fermented in stainless steel with no oak contact. Delicate floral and citrus scents are followed by guava, jasmine and white pear notes with a hint of ginger. Rich flavors of white peach and apricot are present immediately, while tropical fruits are more apparent on the palate as the wine opens. The round smooth body of the wine is accented by crisp acidity and a clean finish.

Actually, that is one of my husband’s (the winemaker) favorite lines.

Hello and welcome! Thanks for joining us. I got you all fancied up with a logo in your signature.

Thank you…I noticed!

Nice to see Praxis back, got the '10 Vio back in April of '11. Still have one of the two, the other consumed July 4 of '11; and lacking any meaningful notes other than a group of us enjoyed it.

How does this year compare to the '10?

How does this year compare to the '10?

Since it is always made by one guy (Bill), from one vineyard, and it’s 100% Viognier made in same unoaked style, I’d say it is very similar. We really like the floral notes and tropical fruitiness of this grape, but don’t like the wine to be cloyingly perfumy or flabby. So it is crisp and clean - a really nice alternative to an unoaked chardonnay.

But, but…
Nature.
Two quite different years if I recall.

But, but…
Nature.
Two quite different years if I recall.
All true and we do consider winemaking to be a combination of art & science (and I was afraid my last comment sounded a little snippy…) I don’t really remember the details of the’10 and my tasting notes are pretty similar on both vintages.

Side by side specs

Appellation: Russian River
Alcohol: 13.7%
% Malolactic: 0
Res Sugar (g/100ml): .05
TA (g/100 ml): .67
Brix at Harvest: 23.9
pH: 3.24
Production: 500 cases

Appellation: Sonoma County
Alcohol: 14.2%
% Malolactic: 0
Res Sugar(g/100ml): .04
TA (g/100 ml): .58
Brix at Harvest: 23.8
pH: 3.56
Production: 600 cases

Looks like the 10’ has a bit more acidity and less alc. but it also looks like different vineyard sources since the 10’ is labeled RRV and the 12’ is not.

Edit: it looks like the 2010 is more to my taste in whites but without tasting it it’s really a crapshoot.

PM for you

Thank you all! We hope you enjoy your wine. Susan & Bill Arbios, Praxis Cellars