Presorvac 5 Cycle Marinater

why the heck would you do that? just eat whatever it is you’re trying to get the tofu to taste like. you’ll get the flavor you’re going for, and you won’t have the texture of firm baby doo doo

I don’t know how well it would work, but a good way to infuse tofu with flavor is to freeze it solid and then thaw it. Whisk away excess liquid but don’t squeeze the tofu too much. Now it’s basically like a sponge and it will readily accept any liquid you give it with great eagerness. It also changes the texture so you can have more fun playing off the new texture as well. Many like to make fake fish dishes this way.

I like to get marinated every once in a while. My question is this: would I fit in this? Does it have those little spa jets? Looks comfy.

Mine is still running and I got it at the last Woot offer. It’s nice because I don’t often have time to let things marinate for Hours.

Bought one of these from woot awhile back, used it 3 times and the motor died. Spent a bunch of time trying to contact the company with no response. I think its hit or miss on whether you get a good one but don’t expect them to honor the warranty.

What’s the power consumption of this marinater?

I got this a little over a year ago…quite loud, but it worked well for the most part. The motor in mine stopped working about a month ago, though. It’s a cool idea, but I don’t think I’ll be getting a replacement.

Those are real tough to clean. So are injection marinaters. This is much more practical.

I also bought one from a previous Woot. It is LOUD but I put it on a dish towel and cover it with a bath towel making its it quieter. The cycle is only five minutes or then it auto shuts off so so the noise is tolerable. It basically pressurizes and depressurizes several time to do its job. For kicks I put marshmallows in for my daughter so she could watch them expand a bit. Science moment!

Quite a rambling post, something about marinading a pillow because it taste like chicken? Need to be less wordy and clearer. Have any good pillow marinade/recipes?

Marinade recipes:

allrecipes.com

Marinade Recipes - Marinades make meat better

a slew of recipes

Sauces and Marinades on iChef

Dude…tofu?

The Amazon web site http://www.amazon.com/Presorvac-Systems-Marinater-14-in/dp/B001CWUGK4 list this as “Currently Unavailable. We don’t know when or if this item will be back in stock”

Translation from Amazon-speak, out of production, Woot is selling the remaining stock, likely company is belly up or not supporting this product.

Now I’m hungry. Might as well call me Starvin’ Marvin. Thanks man (or should I say ghost).

That probably won’t work since normal tofu is not absorbent. There is too much water in the tofu and this device can’t suck out the water. So the pores won’t empty out to suck in any marinade.

The best way to marinade tofu is to freeze it overnight and then thaw it. After thawing, squeeze out the water. The tofu will now be very porous, literally like a sponge. Make sure you start out with firm or extra firm tofu. Soft tofu will break apart too easily. The thawed tofu will now have a rough chewy texture which is a good substitute for beef. I like marinating it with soy sauce, sauteeing and then using in sandwiches and salads.

You people sold me on it! If it makes my cooking taste better, it’s worth the money. I’ll try one.

It pulls air out of meat. When you release the vacuum, air rushes back in and the meat sucks in whatever is surrounding it. If the meat is submerged in marinade, it will suck in the marinade. In other words, it will deep marinade meats in about a minute rather than hours. And it does so with more penetration.

wordy? maybe. I felt it was a lucid description and appreciated the post. I think the point is that this should work better than just dunking the beef in a bowl.

Now if only the motor keeps working …

I found it perfectly clear and liked the pillow analogy. Basically he or she explained how a vacuum helps in getting the marinade in. Instead of criticizing someone else’s writing style, consider discussing the actual product if you think you can do better. Thank you.

Sucks the air out of the meat? Doesn’t it simply just lower the pressure of the entire chamber, causing the meats pores to open up due to the lower pressure, thus letting the marinade seep in deeper?

Ever hear of vacuum enlargement devices? I don’t think they work by removing the air out of a guy’s muscle…lower pressure, things expand because of the drop in atmospheric pressure, stay that way for a while due to skin until they return to normal…making sense yet? Last time I cut into a piece of lean muscle, it’s density didn’t resemble the air pockets found inside pillows, and the weight of the meat supported the fact that it’s fairly solid.