Purchased Ecobee in January of 2021

I purchased 3 of the ecobee 3 kits in January of 2021. I’m building a new house and the process was VERY slow. So we didn’t actually get them installed until June of 2022. Worked fine for cooling this summer. But now that it has turned cold, one of my 3 units isn’t engaging the heat. If I swap units and keep the cabling harness in the same place (meaning not messing with wiring), the problem follows the ecobee. I called them for support because the writeup on the item says “3 year limited manufacturers warranty.” So worst case, I expected 3 years from January of 2021. Nope. It was an open box and somebody had connected it to wifi back in 2017. So the day I ordered it, it was no longer covered by warranty. Now I have a unit that doesn’t work and I can’t get help.

Here is the info from Ecobee:
ecobee Support Logo
You called us today due the following:

No heating / New installation / Thermostat defective

First Connected: 2017-08-30

ESN: 3110xxxxxxxxx
ecobee3

Out of warranty

[TT: Removed ESN]

If you need it. order # 683xxxxx

[TT: removed your order number]

Hi there. Reach out to Woot! Customer Service. Tell them what you’ve tried (like you did above) and they’ll give you some options.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

Please allow 24h for them to respond.

Thank you. I appreciate that. I’ve sent them a message.