Pure Digital Flip Ultra Series F230 Camcorder

WOOT ONE! Two…no thanks, but one seems worth a try. It seems like a good xmas gift. Should I give it to my sister or my brother? I’ll get black just incase. :wink:

somehow I can’t wrap my arms around the thought of “sweet” and anything named “insignia” being even remotely related

No need for Vista. I use it with my Windows XP machine with no problems.

THIS unit is NOT DVD Quality… Only 640 Lines of resolution. DVD is 720 Lines. This may be fine for a child, but not for real uses.

• Video quality was below par. I mean it has pixelations all over. But hey… maybe it’s good enough for your mother or child.

• Craftsmanship was poor. I felt this just by holding it. It’s thin plastic and feels like the door will break right off.

• The microphone is no better than a $0.99 one from any major “-mart”.

All in all… the bottom line is that this camera is no better than a $15-$20 one at Wal-Mart. Thus it is NOT worth even $30 shipped!

…and if you have a beef with satan… oops i mean wal-mart, you can still find one for about $45-$100 at other electronic store… but you may have to look around. Or check newegg.

no way, my lady was just talking yesterday about wanting one of these for Christmas…nice timing woot

how is this better or different from a video shot from a point-n-shoot? like the video function on a regular digital camera?

in for 2, one for each kid.

I have the HD version and is not really High Definition, Just a little better resolution (1280 x 720).
Records for an hour in a 4 GB internal Memory
All videos are MP4 and cannot be imported to Windows Movie Maker

My daughter’s major complaint with her digi camera video is that it only allows 3 minutes per video, which cuts her off all the time in the middle of a DDR, GH, RB video…

My complaint is that her vids are real blocky, esp. when she pans, on her digital-still-cam-that-happens-to-take-vids.

Here is one I took on my flip in low light (outdoors at night) of it sleeting in Austin the other day. Give you a chance to hear subtle sound and is just a few secs long:

I have a camera made by RCA thats very similar to this but 60 minutes. I use it at work to do time studies and to document manufacturing processes. Its actually really handy since I can download the video so fast. Other engineers borrow it from me all the time. I wouldn’t use it to like record a wedding or a kids birthday, but definitely good for those spontaneous moments - and where super high resolution is not necessary. I’d woot this but don’t need another!

Ummm… I thought 720p was 1280x720.

Can you mod the internal memory?

I don’t think this is a popular enough video camera where you’re going to find a community for modding the memory. Although, i’m sure it can be done. Do yourself a favor, buy a powershot.

hm thanks.
(at least it’ll be warm by thursday!)

Wal-Mart has $15 camcorders???

Dr. Ashen’s did a review of this

Wrong. Nerds will hack anything.

In fact, way before this camcorder came out, they were modding the CVS disposable camcorders by Pure Digitial. PD got wise and made a reusable version, which you see now on woot.

CVS disposable camera hack

I’m pretty sure the internals on this thing isn’t far off from the CVS version if anybody was so inclined to find a way to boost the internal memory.

Why have Battery Life: AA Alkaline – Up to 2 hrs of use when you can only record 30 minutes of video?! Why don’t they come up with a camera that has the recording time and battery time equal? This is the old hotdog to bun problem!

everybody whining about the resolution etc. etc. needs to realize these things are for web video and even though a lot of players now offer hd support it never is that good over web anyways. At amazon these things are going for 130 bucks and out of 1000 reviews over half of them are five star reviews.