Put a Steak in it

Knife fight! Knife fight! Tell me your favorite of these brands below and why. :slight_smile:

MORE SHUN KNIFES PLEASE!

When I used to work in a restaurant we’d fight over who didn’t have to use the knife with the exact same shape as Cat Cora’s 8 inch chef knife. We’d usually make whoever the new guy or gal was use it. And because we’d all been the newbie at one time we knew just how awful that particular shape is. Well, I should say it’s awful at not stabbing into your hand or fingers at any given moment. Most chef’s knives have a downward pointing tip for a reason. They’re much less stabby. Also, they’re not filet knives and aren’t meant to be. That’s generally where you see a flat back and a pointy tip in line with the spine.

Hi…

Can someone please help me?

How does the Shun VGE0150STB Pro 150mm Steak Knife blade compare to the 4 Shun Ken Onion Knives that I just recently purchased here?

Will I be happy with them?

Thanks!

Them? Unless they’ve made a mistake in the text, that’s $60 for one steak knife. I might consider $60 for four, but they ain’t that pretty.

I personally love my Shuns. The blade is the sharpest out-of-the-box blade I’ve ever found. The steel is good, and blade designs are generally practical and well thought-out.

Kyocera ceramic blades are quite sharp, but I don’t have any at this point, because I broke mine. I know there are people out there who swear by them, and I can attest that they’re quite sharp, but I never managed to keep one for more than a year.

As for the Pro Edge electric knife sharpener, it’s good for knives you don’t enormously value, but I wouldn’t use it for any nice knives. Better to use a steel frequently, and get them sharpened, or better yet learn to sharpen knives yourself! But for run of the mill steak knives or knives you just keep in a kitchen drawer, this is a handy gadget.

The WMF steak knives look like a pretty good deal. I found them on another reputable site for $50 and free shipping, but they’re $70+ everywhere else. If they were non-serrated, I’d probably buy them. (And yes, I know the Shun steak knife is non-serrated, but it’s also hand-wash only and WAY too expensive for me.)

Speaking of Shun knives, though, I’d really like to see a 10" Shun chef’s knife show up somewhere in the Wootiverse for under $100. The 8" chef’s in the Kai Tan Ren set I bought last year is pretty fantastic and still razor-sharp, but I really want the extra length and heft of a ten-inch blade (TWSS).

Please remember to look back at my posts on other kitchen knives on their care and sharpening. In fast summary; never put them in a dishwasher, never steel wool and always find the right sharpening stone for each knife. When the blade is sharp and clean it can rest on a soft tomato and the weight of the blade will cut thru w/o any additional ‘cutting’ pressure. Unfortunately, I was not able to buy one of the Shun Ken Onion knives [maybe Woot service will find one for me!!] since I woke up late, but I would have purchased it for variety! Once you develop a collection, you will have a small gaggle of knives that you gravitate for each cutting task. So invest in proper storage like a knife block or some sheathes so the blades and handles are protected. Never put knives together in a kitchen tool draw.

beat me to the $49.99 with free shipping

The steak knife and Shun differ in their length and the thickness of the blade. The specs do not define that so I can only inform you what blade thickness means for your use. The thicker a blade is the greater the drag when cutting. Drag isn’t a consideration when cutting thru a bone joint or raw and thick slabs. So one wants a thicker-stronger blade to pry and cut thru tough tissue. In carving or cutting thru a steak, chicken/turkey breast, or roast one wants to slice in one clean motion w/o sawing to yield a smooth and good looking serving.
Once you learn to use and sharpen you will be quite happy with your new knives and you will become very territorial about them to the point of denying anyone else from even touching them!!! Enjoy and open the packages carefully. Sometimes the knives can cut thru the packaging presenting a danger.

In June I picked up a ten inch Classic chef’s knife for $119.95 on an Amazon.com lightning deal. It wasn’t under a hundred, but it was as lose as I think it is going to get.

I’ve been keeping my very sharp kitchen knives in a toolbox. Really sucks reaching in for a knife in a hurry.