Pyle 720p or 1080p HD Sport Action Cam

Note that while the specs for the HD model list “wifi remote control” it’s actually a plain IR remote, and the receiver on the camera is in the front, so if it’s facing away from you operating it by remote control is iffy.

What’s the storage space on this? Wondering how much (in minutes or hours) video can be stored on the device.

It doesn’t have any onboard memory, relies on micro SD card.

After dropping the $40 or so the last time this was on Woot, I can safely say that it was $40 terribly spent. Pyle is short for “Pyle of Garbage” or whatever swearword you’d like to use.

First off, mine came with a part missing from the car charger. It doesn’t work, so you better charge it via usb on the way to the mountain. (I bought mine for snowboarding) The charge in the real world may last 20 minutes, but I have yet to have it actually work for that long, so I don’t know. And if the camera sits around for a week, battery will be dead anyway. It takes a good hour or more to fully charge.

I’ve taken it to the mountain 3 times now, and it has failed to even turn on 2 of them. That’s pretty bad freekin odds. You get the “busy” light on… and there is no hard reset or battery pull, so tough luck! You have to wait until the battery completely dies to try again. Oh, and if you get the red light of death after you’ve shot some footage, that footage will be gone. I don’t know why it decides to wipe it… but it did.

The colors are very “artistic.” They are very saturated. Honestly, if you’re only threading things together with this cam, they’re not bad. If you can get footage that is. If the subject is more than about 10-12 feet away, you can barely pick them out because of the focal point of the camera and the saturated color. I’ve only shot on the HD… maybe the lesser would be better? If it stays on long enough to tell a difference, I’ll let you know.

The mounts they send are a joke as well. Really, the handlebar mount is the only one worth anything. The helmet mount is a strap that you thread through the air vents on your helmet… really?

I was really excited about this cam when I got it, as it worked great around the house to test it… but it’s failures in the real world would force me to give it a 1 out of 5 stars.

That’s what everyonez does, whether them doing lame riding on their bike, board or wutever. Since I only chill, I have to do it too.

I soooooo wish I had the clips uploaded as a demonstration of my experience with this camera. I play ice hockey and i wore this on my Goalie Mask for a fun scrimmage that a group put on earlier this month. It takes descent video for the price, I found that it does break up the video into segments even not in car mode. I was on the Ice for an hour and I found two 20 minute clips on the memory card. It claimed that at 1080 my 8 GB card would do about 1 hour 18 minutes, but 40 is what i got. Soon I’ll be trying this out at the Go-Kart Track on my helmet to give it a second go after finding out that this camera doesn’t work at all in low light situations. I’d give this product a 3.5/5. It works for what I use it for, it’s all-right for the price since I run the risk of it taking a puck, but it’s not the GoPro that one might think they could get for this price.

It probably has something to do with the amperage of the charger. PC USB ports are only 0.5 amps or 2.5 watts. The car charger is probably 5 or 10 watts. There’s probably not enough power to charge and run the camera from a PC. You might be able to get it to work from a powered USB hub.

does anyone know if it does timelapse images like the gopro?

Make sure you use a class 5 or better SD card. I returned mine because it kept locking up but was later informed it needed a Class 5 or better… That might have been the issue. The camera would just go to a static screen and would do nothing else until the charge ran out.

So if it freezes up, check your SD card before you return it.

I noticed that the 4x zoom is digital rather than optical (optical is usually better). Can anyone comment on the effectiveness and the quality of the recorded video when the zoom is used? Thanks for any input.

obviously the quality goes down, and all these action cams with no image stabilization, you will just see alot of jiggling if it was zoomed to any range that resembles a prime lens’ field of view. To put a fast superwide zoom lens on what looks like a $10 disposable camera (or onto a $50 one like what’s on the GoPro) would make it more expensive than the orig camera itself.

Nothing shows off the HD quality of your product like a video posted in 480p

FYI: you can get the pink Pyle 720p camera on the main Woot page for $5 less under the Pyle Sport Electronics tab

That’s weird… Anyways I’m in for a 1080p model.

The camera shuts off after 35 min on HD. Pretty crappy.

Wish it came with a micro SD. Also would have been good information to have when ordering. Best I can tell the remote doesn’t turn on the camera??? Figuring my unit is broken… but maybe it needs the card to work? But that doesn’t make sense does it? The manual is a JOKE. Anyone know what “car mode” does? Best I can tell it only allows you to flip the screen.

I can’t get the unit to turn on. I was finally going to get to use it so I charged it over night. The red light was blue this morning so I tried to turn it on but nothing happens. Any solutions?

I plugged the unit back into the computer and it turned on. So I unplugged the unit and it said that it was “out of battery”. How is that possible when it charged all night.

Are you charging it using a wall adapter? Your computer may not have enough umph to charge it.

If that doesn’t work, you can contact Pyle for assistance.

I purchased 2 of these. One died after strapping it to my ATV and a day of riding. The second so far is still kicking. I asked them about warranty they said I pay to ship it to the and I pay to ship it back … and if they determine it was a manufacturing defect they will fix otherwise I have to pay to fix it too. Well it’ll cost me half the value of the camera just for the shipping in hopes that the don’t say it’s my fault it broke… so in the trash it goes.