Pyle Marine Grade Bluetooth Speaker

Are you asking seriously, or just trying to be funny?

The first line on the product page is this: “Pyle PWPBT60 Sound Box Splash Rugged and Splash-Proof Bluetooth Marine Grade Portable Wireless Speaker” – Notice the “Splash-Proof part”.

The first line of the specs is this: “Marine-Grade IP-X4 splash proof & shock resistant design”

The name of the freakin’ speaker is “Splash Sound Box” and the terms “Marine Grade” & “Splash Proof” are peppered throughout the description and other info probably a dozen times or so.

I was disappointed as well. Sounds like a poorly tuned AM radio that has been drop kicked across the gym floor. I tried to return it and Woot wouldn’t let me.

Until . . . I discovered that when initially pairing the device you must be within about 2 feet. Then it doesn’t matter if you carry the phone away a little farther than that (but not much more). It sounds about like I expected it to sound - pretty decent.

I also got one last fall on Woot! We’ve been quite happy with it and just had it on the boat this weekend. We re-purposed a retired smart phone as an mp3 player for most use of the Pyle.

We set the Pyle volume at the max and then control the volume from the mp3 device. It makes fine volume adjustment on differing sound level mp3 files easy without jumping songs and makes it easy to back off volume if it buzzes or distorts.

Surprisingly, my nearly 4 year old retired Droid sounds better through the Pyle than probably any newer phone we have used. We used an HTC M8 this weekend which has the same mp3 files as the Droid, and it wasn’t as loud without speaker distortion. Similar result with friends’ newer phones.

I think some of the problems people mention are more related to their mp3 device or mp3 files rather than the Pyle. The old Droid can only get about 5 feet away before losing BT. The new phone can get 20-25 feet. Some of my old, low quality mp3 files don’t sound so good, but the newer higher quality rips sound fine.

For background music on the deck, float trip, camping, boating, etc it does a good job for the price.

This Pyle Speaker has very poor quality sound, and the Bluetooth is only good from about 15 feet then breaks-up and drops connection.

This may be OK for background music around the pool where it’s noisy and sound quality isn’t as important as the risk of getting it wet. The quality on this unit is similar to that of the dollar store’s $15 Bluetooth speaker.

For $12 more the Logitech EU is quite impressive, it’s not Marine Grade, but it’s much smaller, the Bluetooth has a 50 foot range, and has incredible sound with bass.