Pyranna Plastic Package Opener

The manufacturer’s website claims that Good Housekeeping likes this thing.

I bought something like this Walgreens link

and it came in the hard plastic… i swear… whoes idea was that/.

For $8, you could get a pair of really high quality scissors, or 8 pairs of dollar-store scissors, or a bunch of razor blades. This product is about as useful as those CD jewel-case openers…which are not remarkable to say the least. Sorry woot, but ME NO WANT (well, not at that price, I’d buy them for $2 each shipped)!!!

What kind of man doesn’t have a decent pocket knife? I mean a good quality, sharp knife that costs more than thirty dollars…What kind? Most kinds, unfortunately, in these days of Metrosexual men. Hey, Man up and get yourself a respectable Spyderco, Buck, or other quality name knife, buckeroos, and leave the plastic toys to your kids. Oh, no knives from China, please. This thing? I wonder if it would pass airport security. It probably would, and that is not a good recommendation.

Fun gizmos, they work really well - I own a similar item that was a free promotional product for a company. Its handy, and does what it says it does.

It is also not worth $3, let alone $8. You can find similar items in Linen & Things.

I bought one of these several months ago. It works great, and it’s much easier and safer to use than scissors or a knife.

The $5 shipping kills this one. I’m out.

but think of the women and children!! men aren’t the only ones who need to open hard plastic packaging, y’know, and the non-men segment of the population (along with some men) are liable to hurt themselves with a pocket knife.

These work okay. I am one of those who end up cutting themselves on the plastic 1 out of 5 times using a knife. But to save a few dollars and some blood have figurered out you also can use a can opener on most of the plastic.

I’m in for 3. I’ll call my family and get them each in for 3. Anything to keep this from hanging around and showing up at the next woot-off…probably going to fill up my bag of crap with this thing…

What’s the purpose of having them on woot now, they won’t arrive in time for Christmas morning. They should of had these a couple weeks ago.

I wish this would have come around in time for Xmas…no better way to let someone know you hate them then to give them one these. Kinda like getting a chia pet.

Since it’s Christmas I’ll recite what I can remember from a Wall Street Journal article on opening plastic wraps from a couple of years ago. First, it said use scissors, not a knife. Second, it said to cut around the seams, not cut through the middle–they are intentionally made to be difficult to cut into the middle to prevent shoplifters. The scissors/seam thing usually works for me. If not, you can sometimes use the hole at the top they use to hang the package to get into it. Or if you can cut a small hole, then run a good pocket knife up the middle (away from you) then cut sideways to make an H or T shape, depending on the package. Cut in the back so you don’t end up cutting the product.

Hopes this saves you some time and injury this holiday season.

Whether this gizmo works, who knows. You’ll get it after Christmas anyway.

Nice Woot… i could’ve used this in time to open all my Xmas WOOT boxes… but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo… on the Santa Day arrival… humphhhhh!

Crap opening Crap… that’s what i always say!! Sharpen your nails… fast…

LOL that would probably be the only way it’d be worth the shipping. If it were free delivery, I may try one considering all the boxes I open from woot. :slight_smile: But umm… not for $9.

Edit:
Then again I don’t think Woot cares… if they don’t sell now there will be plenty of suckers buying them up to get to the BOC in the next woot-off.

sold me. thankx!

does it seem stupid to anyone else that you won’t be able to open Christmas presents with these? Seeing as how they probably won’t arrive until after New Years, do you think you could wait that long to open any presents?

Thanks for this info. I was seriously considering getting one - scissors do NOT work on clamshells - but no reason to buy one more thing that will go in the trash.

Once I bought a cheap cassette player at the airport, you know that really cheap brand that starts with a C. It came in that hard plastic package that you need something sharp to open. Something that you’d never get through a security check. Colby, that’s the name. Anyway, I couldn’t open the damn thing until I got where I was going, and then I didn’t need it cause I wanted to listen to a tape on the plane. I never could have got this pyranna thing through security, so it’s a lame story. Nevermind.

I predict that the next major evolutionary change for humans will be some kind of retractable package-opening finger mutation. But until then, and because I’m a man, I ordered three of these. One for home, one for work, and one for the truck. If I were a woman, I could buy one and keep it in my purse. Maybe I should buy a purse instead. My OPENX has gone missing and didn’t work that well on plastic anyhow.