Pyrex 17pc Easy Grab Set

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

Pyrex 17pc Easy Grab Set
$39.99 + $5 Standard OR $25 Two-Day OR $27 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Pyrex. Is. Perfect.

Take a look at the navigation bar at the top. We got us a new site! Go say hi to Tech.Woot!

It’s glass, so chemical free. It’s glass, so it’s microwaveable. It’s glass, so it’s freezable. It’s glass, so it’s attractive on a table. It’s glass, so you can pour hot stuff in it. It’s glass, so it doesn’t stain. It’s glass, so it doesn’t puck up odors. And it’s Pyrex glass, so it doesn’t break.

Was perfect. They went to a cheaper recipe for the glass and it sucks. The last time I used this newer version the glass shattered and my lasagna was spread all over the inside of my oven. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone that was planning on using it for hot dishes. Maybe for jello but nothing else.

after.

Sorry I’m a bit late, Just got on and saw… pyrex? Not a laptop? Tablet? PC for monday? Then noticed Tech.Woot. I don’t know how to feel about this yet :tongue:

Woot will be the best deal of the day in any category. Could be something from Home, Sport, Kids, or Tech. Best. Deal. Period.

Now that i have gotten my QP about something i truly love, I’m off to Tech!!!

I’m sticking with Thomas on this. Last time, (or, was it earlier) I got 3 different shipments, ALL with busted-up glass in them.

I’m passing this time.

I bought this the last time it was on here. Love that I can use it to cook int eh oven, then reheat in the microwave without switching dishes after storing it in the fridge with the lid! The bowls are my most used kitchen item for mizing and baking and storing. They do take up quite a bit of space and the sizes are different being more taller and narrower then the low sided ones I am used to but overal it is a good buy!

Modern Pyrex is soda lime glass instead of borosilicate (assuming this is made by World Kitchen), so it won’t hold up to as high of temperatures as the old borosilicate glass made by Corning. However: never put glass bakeware directly on a burner or under a broiler. Pyrex is not broiler safe, as far as I know.

One of these shattered in my oven just last week. Probably not a good idea to put it into a preheated, convection oven.

It says in the item description that the bakeware is broiler safe, but the other stuff is not. Are you sure?

Actually - this is a common urban myth. Go to Snopes to read about the real story about the Pyrex dishes. http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

I own this set, and I love it. I’ve had it for 6 yrs now, and none of it is broken and I use it all the time.

Yep. I’ll defer to Pyrex’s website on this one:

I’ve had several pyrex items break in the last few years whereas their predecessor items lasted decades. Most recently, a large pyrex measuring cup with 170 degree hot water “exploded” when I placed it on some room temperature (80 in this case) formica. I was left with sharp shards AND what kind of looked looked like crumbled glass. I found a lot of info on the internet when I got curious about what was going on. I won’t pass judgment on what I’ve read other than to say I’ve lost a lot of the confidence I had in Pyrex but if you’ve got the time you might find it interesting reading if you did some surfing.

Actually they started using the soda lime glass in the 40s before Corning sold them. This whole story about them being suddenly inferior is an urban myth.