Pyrex 18-Piece Storage Set Color Lids

Need bigger covered Pyrex bowls etc for tailgating. need 3, 4 maybe 6 QUART sizes. multi piece sets are good.

I have a very hard time believing that Pyrex would make two almost identical looking sets of bowls, and have one be oven save and the other one not. It also seems like it would be too expensive for them to have two separate manufacturing runs with different glass or whatever just to save pennies on a “non oven safe” version.

Unless they are stamped “NOT OVEN SAFE” on the bottom, I would say they simply left that bullet point out of the advertising.

(edit) Based on the WalMart reviews, a bunch of people are happily putting theirs in the oven. I also have a “all red lid” set that I use in the oven.

These are awesome-just buy them!

Red, orange, green, blue

Primary set I need you

Got one since you’re new

I bought a set here previously.

Only caveat: You cannot nest all 9 in one stack. You can have two separate nested sets of four, plus one left over.

(A bowl of capacity X will not nest in another bowl of the same size.)

I have a set and love them. They have lasted a long time (5 or 6 years?) although the lids start to break down and perhaps leak a bit after taking them on and off and microwaving or putting them in the dishwasher.

One caveat - I guess it should be obvious but I wasn’t thinking as I was used to more of the Rubbermaid or Tupperware containers. These things get hotter than the dickens after microwaving even for a minute! The glass gets very hot and takes a very long time to cool down, especially if microwaving a liquid like a bowl of soup.

But a great set of storage containers, for sure.

I looked at the link you provided and it is $6 more. So what the heck?

Well, I’m convinced! In for one set.

And a Bonus – free optical illusion to amaze your friends and frustrate your enemies! Are the large bowls on the left behind the smallest bowls, or precariously balanced right on top of them? Look closely…can you be sure?

Unless it’s stamped “Not Oven Safe,” most Pyrex is totally safe in the oven. The plastic lids, however, as common sense would imply, are NOT oven safe in any way and can ONLY be used for storage/microwave. Although, like another person stated, the lids will warp if microwaved too long.

Also, the Wal-Mart page does not say anything about the dishes being oven safe or not. They just don’t mention the oven at all.

Given that GLASS is melted and formed at extremely high temps, why would anyone think a 400 degree oven would hurt it?

Good gawd y’all, use common sense!

Perhaps Walmart had enough returns from customers putting the lids in the oven and melting them that they wanted to eliminate confusion. Plenty of people don’t have common sense, and would just say “It said oven-safe!”

I was in for the last sale because I had a really old set (grey/blue) which kept disappearing and they are as solid as Pyrex was way back when and I think these new lids fit much better. I love the smaller bowls in this set for lunches and snacks - no “plastic container funk” with glass and if something ends up in the back of the fridge too long, at least you can sanitize Pyrex!

I think the cracking/exploding issue is pretty well covered, but since one of my degrees mentions something about Material Science I suppose I could add a voice: Pyrex is Pyrex, it was developed as oven safe glass. Does this mean it is super glass? Nope. Pyrex can thermal shock, it is just really hard to make it due to the crystalline structure. If you take a hot container out and place it directly on a cold (like marble cold) counter or worse a puddle of water, is it going to be ok? I wouldn’t chance it. Is it really that hard to grab a kitchen towel or a trivet? In addition, if you see a chip in your bowl, do you think it could be a stress concentration point? Yup, I wouldn’t use that for hot stuff anymore. Pyrex rocks, but it does entail a little common sense.

(Would totally be in for another set, but the rainbow lids have actually deterred “borrowing” - LOL! Bonus!)

Best deal ever on Woot! Bought these for my wife and she thought it was crazy. In two weeks she wanted another set for herself and our daughter wanted a set, too. Who knew 1950’s tech could be so useful? Priced these elsewhere online and in brix 'n mortar. Still Woot is the best deal around.

Had the 2-cup ones for years and they are great. I’d pay $20 for just 2 4-cup ones.

Pyrex will last forever if treated right. I have 4 50 year old dished handed down from my grandma.

Researched the topic ad nauseum about 2 years ago on the Pyrex breakage and don’t want to dig up the woot posts related to them (they’re long). The simple answer related to the above is that I highly doubt microwaving will set it up for exploding (and I don’t recall ever hearing a microwave exploding glassware story). From the oven (e.g., 400 degrees, and as noted above, putting it on a cool surface)? Yes, reports are out there more for the soda lime Pyrex than the European/old style borosilicate Pyrex, but not a lot/lot more (in one small study the Pyrex did have more thermal shock but not a lot more). Also, from memory, the one thing borosilicate isn’t as good at I believe is handling drops onto the floor–I think it breaks in many pieces vs. the soda lime not as likely to “shatter” from a drop.

(Please correct me if you want to. I have to get back to work)

Confused…people have EXPLODING pyrex dishes? How is that physically possible in this universe?

I mean, of course it CAN happen, but under what circumstances that would cause anyone trepidation? Cuz AFAIK all types of glass when rapidly heated and cooled with break, explode or shatter. With pyrex being no different.

So…is there literally something I can read about this that isnt some idiot taking a dish from the oven, perhaps emptying the cooked contents into a serving dish, and then dumping the empty pyrex into an ice cold sink!?

From August 2012:

I got it today. But it shattered into pieces. Woot didn’t pack it properly. I am so disappointed.
Now I’m waiting their answer for money back.