Pyrex 18-Piece Storage Set Color Lids

buying my second set plus 1 for my daughter. they are Wootalicous!!

Soda Lime is clear… as are these storage containers.

Listen, I have this set. It’s as clear as day and not Borosilicate. Maybe not all Borosilicate is blue, but certainly some of my older hand me down genuine Borosilicate pyrex is.

The bottom line is that there is enough evidence out there that these storage containers, which are being advertised as oven capable, are susceptible to shattering with extreme temperature changes. Maybe some of you haven’t had any problems, but there’s enough evidence that you can easily google to suggest that you may not want to press your luck.

Reminds me of the old Iomega Zip Drive “Click of Death” controversy.

When you sort out the improper use and as Dr. Steve Freiman, an expert of brittle materials, formerly with the National Institute of Science and Technology said, “…I’m not sure how many people read the instructions on these things or would remember them after a few years” you get a different picture.

I have this set too, and they look clear until I put them aside older pieces of Pyrex, then you can see the blueish tinge along the edges.

Anyway … no glass is shatterproof, no matter what my old chemistry professors (from 1970-1980s) said. :slight_smile:

I’ve been using the ‘new’ Pyrex for as long as it has been around and have yet to have anything shatter. And we use it a lot.

As for the lids cracking, the sets with the all dark blue lids seem to have this problem but we haven’t experienced it with the multicolor lids as in this set. We use the top rack in the dishwasher for the lids and also use them in the microwave and they can warp if they get too hot.

This type tends to crack. It’s a darker blue than the blue in the woot! set.

This says they nest well, but another poster seemed to say that you can only nest the smaller bowls, not bowls that are the same size. Any clarification? I’m looking for options that take up a minimal amount of space, and two big bowls plus a third 2-cup bowl to store seems like it would need a good bit of space.

Totally agree with you.

The Wikipedia article links to a page from the American Ceramic Society (I didn’t know there was one!) at New paper addresses causes of shattering glass cookware; margin of safety described as ‘borderline’ - The American Ceramic Society which noted that “…soda lime glass cookware shatters more frequently because, in theory, it can only resist fracture stress for temperature differentials less than about 55°C (99°F). In contrast, they estimate that the borosilicate glassware could tolerate a temperature differential of about 183°C (330°F), a three-fold difference.”

Here is one of the disclaimers on the Pyrex site:
http://www.pyrexware.com/3-qt-oblong-bking-dish/5300114.html
Avoid sudden temperature changes to glassware. DO NOT add liquid to hot glassware; place hot glassware on a wet or cool surface, directly on countertop or metal surface, or in sink; or handle hot glassware with wet cloth. Allow hot glassware to cool on a cooling rack, potholder or dry cloth. Be sure to allow hot glassware to cool as provided above before washing, refrigerating or freezing.

The 4 sizes nest together, but 2 bowls of the same size stack. I usually nest each set, then stack the two sets on top of each other.

I’ve gone from fridge to microwave many times with these and had no problems. I don’t think that is the rapid change of temperature that is the problem. I believe the problems happen when you go from fridge/freezer to a pre-heated oven, or dunk a hot dish in water. THAT would produce a rapid temperature change and cause it to shatter.

Last time i bought these the second from the biggest size came chipped around the edge and had to waste my time calling some number, couldn’t get through 3 times, so i just gave up.

I agree with some of the others. I bought two of these a month ago for $3 more each. WTF, woot? I’ve loved you since inception, I even worked in the building next door. Why betray me like this?

Hi everyone! Bought 3 of these sets Tuesday and they showed up the next day (wow!)! Problem is, the box they were packed in was barely still taped shut and every box inside had at least one chipped/broken dish in it (all i can picture is Ace Ventura’s opening scene as a delivery man…). Contacted Pyrex and pretty sure they’ll send out replacements. Just wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen.

Mine arrived today with one of the 4-cup ones shattered. The glass slivers are dangerous.

How do you contact Pyrex?

Sorry for the late reply.

Actually, since the item was damaged in transit, we recommend that you email into support@woot.com and let them know what you’re experiencing. They’ll be happy to help answer any questions you have about your order.

Sorry for my even later reply.
we ordered 3 sets, and each of the sets had something chipped or broken… a total of 5 bowls. I emailed HELPCENTER@WORLDKITCHENCS.COM (am i allowed to post that?) with pictures and they asked for my address so they could mail me replacements… kinda easy peasy.
just out of curiosity, what does Woot do in this situation? Next time i know to contact you first, but i kinda already messed up for this time…

These have a warranty with Pyrex, so your route to them directly skipped Woot CS telling you to contact them. However, Woot CS may have offered to refund you if you didn’t want a replacement from Pyrex.