Pyrex Mix, Measure, Prep and Bake

Since it’ll come up (it always comes up), I’m going to link to this Snopes article on exploding cookware.

I don’t have much to say about the glass part of the dishware… as far as I know they have seemed to work fine for me in pretty much any application: oven, microwave, hot liquids, cold liquids, etc. The only thing I have not done is freeze in these. But I can say that I have never had any issues with exploding/cracking glass, even with small (ie less than 1ft) drops and many, many washes in overflowing dishwashers.

As for the lids, I cannot say as much. While the glass dishware does not change dimension, the lids eventually do :frowning: they are the kind of lids that stretch over the outside lip of the glass to make the seal. Eventually the corners crack, and the sides of the rectangular lids elongate enough that they leak.

GRANTED: this is after 3 years of regular use, so take that into consideration. If you just store leftovers in the fridge, this is just fine. But if you overstuff your Tupperware with lunch for tomorrow and then carry it to work, only to find that it leaked from being squished… go for the locking lids.

On exploding Pyrex: I’ve been using these for years and have had one “explode,” and embarrassingly, it was user error. It was sitting on the stovetop, empty and waiting to be filled, on a back electric burner. The burner was accidentally turned on instead of the front burner and instead of smelling potatoes boiling ten minutes later, we heard the pop of glass breaking.

I’m sure it was the uneven and prolonged heating that caused it to break. I bake everything in them, and they go from fridge to oven or microwave just fine. Don’t abuse them and they’ll last until the end of time (ymmv). I’m pretty sure they’d break if I threw them from the roof too, but with normal use, I doubt they’ll randomly explode or implode.

I trust them enough that I’m buying a set for my college-age son. Maybe it’ll spur him to cook in his new apartment, or maybe they’ll be used in deluxe drinking games. Either way, I’m in!

I love Pyrex, and I think it’s second only to the old white Corningware that was stove top compatible. However, I am having a hard time justifying any of these purchases. The list prices are so low that $5 shipping is more than the savings on a lot of the items. Hopefully, there will be something else I want from Woot! before this deal ends, and I can tack these on to an “all you can ship.”

I’ve broken two of these recently (though, admittedly, it’s usually rare):

One was my fault, I poured a little boiling water into one that I was using for a water pan while baking bread. It had boiled dry, and I didn’t really realize it. The other broke due to a drop from a counter top onto the floor, thanks to some nosy cats.

I like Pyrex, but after the last thermal break, it makes me nervous again. I think I’m going to buy some Marinex borosilicate glassware this time.

EDIT: One last thing. The easy grab set says it’s broiler-safe. According to Pyrex, none of their glassware is safe for broiler use:
http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=32

That “never place hot glass bakeware on top of the stove” thing also bugs me. I do it all the time, with no negative effects, but I wouldn’t have to worry about that with borosilicate. It certainly doesn’t hurt my glass stovetop!

As others have noted, pricing (at least on the Pie Plate) is about the same as Amazon if you have Prime and are paying for shipping here on Woot. But if you get this once you have “unlocked” free shipping (seriously, that cracks me up every time I see it) - you are getting a decent savings.

Also - good to note about the pie plate portable: It will only hold up to the 9" pie plate that it comes with - larger pie plates will not fit. This is based on a review on Amazon. Overall it recieved excellent reviews, just something to keep in mind if you have a special pie plate you were planning on using.

I have the 2-cup measuring cup and I can’t pour anything out of it without it dribbling down the side of the cup and spilling everywhere. No matter how full it is or how fast/slow I pour, it always does it. I also have the 4-cup version and have no pouring issues with it, so maybe I just got a flawed one but I thought I’d mention it.

yeah, no. the savings on all of these at Amazon since I have prime is under $1. I can get them anytime for functionally the same prices.

I have a four, a two and a one cup. I find that the four cup is more forgiving of faster, not quite perfect pouring, but the two and the one are less so. The two is more frustrating, because it’s much easier to wind up not pouring quite straight, and/or pouring too fast, while the one cup, even though the “spout” is much smaller, seems easier to control. Sometimes I have the same problem with the four cup, but it’s usually because I get impatient and try to pour too fast, or my arm gets tired and I wind up off center. Don’t know if any of that is at all helpful, but I thought I’d share.

The Plus deals are select deals of product that we can’t sell on the main sites for various reasons like it being too niche or the small quantities available.

They’re generally good deals in their own right but they’re not going to have the deep discounts that you’re used to seeing on the daily sales. This is due in part to the smaller quantities (i.e. no volume discounts). In some cases, the deal is improved if you take advantage of the $5 all day shipping.

As always, we know our wooters are serious consumers and will hunt down the best price available. We expect no less of you.

Hope that helps. Happy shopping!

Freezing is about the only extreme temperature I’ve put my Pyrex through (not much of an oven user) and it’s all held up well so far. I always make sure the transition from hot to cold or cold to hot is a gradual one, though, just to be safe.

I disagree with this comment and review. I have this container and it works great with my Pi Pie Plate which is larger than a standard 9 inch pie plate. It also works well for storing and transporting a regular plate holding cupcakes, a short cake or other baked goods.

Oh thank you for posting! I just ordered one since I usually use the 9" Pyrex pie plate anyway, but I have a couple specialty ones I’m hoping to be able to use with it.

i have the 4 bowl set and they are WONDERFUL !! I AM BUYING MORE i payed almost $35.00 for the exact same set. THANK YOU WOOT!!!

I have tons of old colored Pyrex bowls. I wish Pyrex still put out the colored / themed sets! They’re so much more fun.

Costco sells the Pyrex 8pc Mixing Bowl Set with Color Lids for $15. So if you don’t have a Costco membership, this is a great price.

My wife has proved that the lifespan of the lids is a lot shorter if you leave them on lit burners: She’s melted 3 of them to date.

I bought the 17 pc set and it was completely shattered upon delivery. Am I in the right place to get a replacement set shipped? If not who should I contact? Thanks for your help.

First of all, Where’s the pic?

Second, no you’re not in the right place. Send an email off to service@woot.com and they will be quick to help, if you consider a monkey smashing a keyboard as quick service.