QNAP Diskless Network Attached Storage

If you buy one of these, get one of the white ones, they are much newer models (2014 or 2015). The black one is a very old model from 2011 and has some pretty bad reviews. I.E. buy the 231 or the 431, not the 412.

Thanks for the heads up as I was just looking at the 412-US one. Dangit. lol

RAID Configuations:

TS-431+: Single disk, RAID 0,1, 5, 6, 10, 5 + hot spare

TS-231+: Single disk, RAID 0, 1

from

These are nice and all, but you can easily take an older computer tower and install FreeNAS, which is based on Linux, and just hook hard drives up to the motherboard (or a PCI Express SATA card) to create a NAS.

Question: Sounds like a network interface engine. Do I provide the hard drive to hold the apps available to users on the network? What features make this product superior to a software solution like what poster darianwiccan suggests?

you can’t really take an older PC and install FreeNas. The freeNas I am using needs at least 4 to 8 gig of RAM, a 64 bit computer, and then you have to buy the drives.

With these devices, all you need is a drive and the device and you are ready.

That doesn’t sound right at all. Memory requirements are pretty slim. You need a 64bit CPU? So what? Every CPU I’ve ever looked at since I graduated high school has been 64bit.

It’s not quite as plug-n-play but for anybody who’s even remotely technically literate (ie anybody who would be trying to get a raid array) it’s really stupid easy to do. And in my experience a lot of these plug-n-play setup things really do a poor job of risk management in setting up their arrays, unless you manually configure it, and then how is that any better than doing it with a PC? Except now you can actually expand teh thing with additional capacity and have a semi-decent chance at recovery if something does go wrong.

“QAirplay allows you to steam your media content” – it gets out the wrinkles?

They sold out at Woot, but Amazon still has them. Only $15 more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-431-Personal-Mobile-Support/dp/B00O3Y7E2G

Sure you could do that if you have time to tinker. When I was in my 20’s sure. Now I want a turn key solution. I want a seemless connection to watch and view pics, movies, music from my network to my phone, ipad anywhere. FreeNas can do that but it takes work and tinkering. I like less work.

I’m in for one of the two bay models to replace my two-generations-old Netgear ReadyNAS (and its clunky as hell interface). The features on this unit look first rate and the price is great.

Amazon has the price of the QNAP TS-231+ for $10 cheaper with prime.

Actually, that’s the TS-431, not the TS-431+, which is $409 on Amazon. Wish I’d realized that earlier, missed out on the deal.

That’s the TS-231 (no plus) – it’s a less powerful unit. I can’t actually find the TS-231+ on Amazon (there’s one listing that appears to be in error), but B&H is selling the + for $289.

Am a geezer (late 50s). Yes my time is of value. But that is not the issue. Can set up a Linux file server in less than 45 min that will talk to my droid stuff etc, but am a geek, so no biggie. The big issue is security. Many home-grown server, typically the windoze stuff is poorly secured. The Linux stuff is intrinsically better, there are gotchas if you do not know.

These QNAP boxes are not Ft.Knox, but will do just fine for most stuff if you do not override or over-tweak the default stuff.

A friend got a qnap 231 that we set up as git box and for calendar sysncs. Does ok and does not suck as much power as server, but not as versatile as a ‘headless’ Debian server.

If you have to ‘tinker’, then you probably should not be doing it.

Then get an external networked hard drive. a NAS box is more oriented toward large scale solutions that have redundancy and are intended to be used for important data that will be kept a long time. In that case, it’s worth the extra 10 minutes it takes to tinker with and be sure things are set up correctly.

There are gotchyas to anything you use. I would trust the default security of a linux install over whatever random ass code a hardware mfg put together though, given the two options of “zero tinkering”. If I’m bothering to tinker then all the more reason I’d prefer the linux route – since you can actually affect changes there.

That was true for the early versions of FreeNAS, however the more recent version require more RAM to use all of the features it offers. For example I have 2GB of RAM in mine, and can only run the basic NAS function. Any other apps like transmission, PLEX, etc wont work without having more RAM.

It’s nice with these QNAPs to have a turn-key solution. Easy updates, everything runs fine, etc. Whereas with FreeNAS you have to tinker with it every once in awhile, and even upgrading the firmware would occasionally corrupt everything and require a complete re-setup of the NAS.

These are so much better than the QWOP devices. Those things were impossible to get running.

Then do yourself a favor. Just get a 6TD WDMycloud. I have a 4 and 6. Plug and play and pretty foolproof. I do have a netgear 104 NAS box with 16tb (some have reported running 24tb) but I was looking at adding another till I seen the specs. Too slow and not enough access licenses. They do support 6tb drives but I see this on thier page, The maximum size for a single volume is 16TB. Please create multiple volumes". So, how can you support 6tb drives but only up to 16tb? That must be a misprint.