QNAP TS-328 Personal Cloud NAS Storage System

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5]

QNAP TS-328 Personal Cloud NAS Storage System
Price: $199.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard (Free with Prime)
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 Business Days. (Thursday, Aug 23 to Tuesday, Aug 28) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](https://computers.woot.com/offers/qnap-ts-328-personal-cloud-nas-storage-system) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=QNAP TS-328 Personal Cloud NAS Storage System) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=QNAP TS-328 Personal Cloud NAS Storage System)

Does anyone has any experience with this?

Decent NAS for the price. Recommended to run as RAID 5 in 3 identical disks.

If your switch supports LACP/bandwidth aggregation, you can run the 2*1G connections. Depending on how you access it, it should be able to give you sustained throughput higher than the 1G link. For simultaneous user of 2-3,this is a good idea.

Yo, Woot!.. the one thing Edwin knows is that QNAP TS-328 isn’t part of The Fast & The Furious Franchise anymore, he was just in the first movie… right dawg

*I did Drobo customer service once upon a time…

Customer~ Why does it take so long? (They would turn it off over the weekend or something)

Me~ Because you have four 1 terabyte drives (modified RAID 5?) loaded with huge files connected to your computer via USB 2.0 using proprietary software/hardware (1TB used to be huge) (The Ethernet adapter was super slow and even worse)

Customer~ Well, can’t you make it go faster?

Me~ Facepalm - another long day

*If I said something wrong it’s because I scrubbed my memory banks with alcohol… The only way to be sure

Could I run a Plex server on this, not just storage? Could it it transcode multiple streams?

Short answer is no. You really want an Intel processor in the NAS if you’re going to try and run Plex on it. Long answer is you can google “plex nas compatibility list” and see a more thorough file describing which NAS can handle what, but don’t expect any transcoding from this.

Anyone have experience on reliability of QNAP vs, Synology? Also, RAID 5 protects against A single disk failure - experience when the device itself fails.

Okay, does this have the hard drives in it or not? If it does, what is the storage capacity?

John

It does not. Note the word “diskless”.

QNAP TS-328 3-bay Diskless Personal Cloud NAS Storage System

I have had both. I had an 8-bay QNAP array that freaked out during a long, large transfer and trashed the array. I bought an 8 bay Synology with larger drives to do some data recovery from the QNAP fiasco, and it has been running fine ever since.

Pray to Jesus or whichever God you trust ~ Tech support

Okay, diskless can mean many things:
Does it have any existing storage capacity, or do you have
to add drives in order to get storage?

One of the pictures shows 3 drives.

So here’s the dirty secret of NASes and RAID in 2018:

RAID5 is dead.

The issue: the MTBF on modern capacity drives is now such that, if you have a drive fail and then swap in a replacement drive, during the time it takes to resilver onto the new drive you’re almost guaranteed to experience a read failure… and now you have NO REDUNDANCY. Poof goes your data.

In my professional life (I work in IT and manage thousands of systems and users), I’ve seen this happen several times in recent years to people who didn’t follow policy, went rogue, and ordered their own personal external RAID array.

Go RAID6 (or in ZFS parlance, RAIDZ2) or don’t bother. Otherwise it’s just a pretty shiny expensive fire extinguisher that when you go to use it you discover it doesn’t work. A false sense of security doesn’t help you.

I will second that. I let my system use X-Raid (A netgear setup on my ReadyNas104 box). Uses 3 of the 4 drives for data, drive 4 is for snapshots. I’ve had 1 failure. It recovered all my data but took a very very long time IMO. But I use the same approach I use when I make my Bug Out Bags… One is none, two is one. I keep two 8tb external segate drives plugged into mine that back up my back ups. :slight_smile:

And if you need help to figure out what brand/size drive you want to feed these things, this place has a good list of brands and failure rates. I’m sure there are lots of other sources for this info.

Exactly! Now, if I could only remember how to set up Raid6 with 3 drives and not have it be completely pointless…

Raid5 is fine here. You get the read benefits of 2-disk striping with enough redundancy to handle a drive failure and still keep your data. Of course, if you are using this as the data backbone of a 5-9’s system, then there is a lot you should reconsider. But for home use, Raid5 is not dead.

Sarcasm != auto-win

Except that you likely DON’T keep your data. You need to re-read what I wrote. When there’s a read failure during resilvering and you have ZERO REDUNDANCY, in many instances you now LOSE YOUR ENTIRE POOL. How do you “keep your data” when your data is now all gone?

I’m not making this up. I’ve seen it happen for real, over and over.

Of course, RAID is NOT a “backup”, so presumably you were following good practices and actually have a backup to lean on, in which case I suppose you do still have your data. RAID is for high-availability, NOT “backup”.

I’m sorry that this makes RAID more expensive. I understand that people would MUCH rather only have to buy 3 disks vs 6. However, spending the money on 3 disks that probably won’t help you when it comes time is not better than spending the money on 6 disks that actually will.

That’s just the new reality with drives >1TB being the norm. But as usual, when something needs to cost more money, people get up-in-arms defensive of the incorrect practices because the incorrect practices are cheaper.

But hey, waste your money on an expensive solution that will fail when you need it to save you if that’s what you consider fun. It’s your wasted money, not mine. I get plenty of “I told you so” opportunities at my day job with the fools who don’t listen and then lose all their data.

I’ve used Synology, Drobo and QNAP. I’m a fan of the QNAP, it wasnt very long ago where Synology was literally a clone of the QNAP, you could load their firmwares side by side, log into the GUI’s, cover the logo and not tell which was which. IIRC the QNAP itself is a linux kernal. Not sure if that’s still the case. I have friends who swear by their Drobo’s, but they never impressed me. I’m not saying Synology is bad by any means. FTR, and full disclosure, I’ve never used the QNAP Home/SOHO units, all the units I’ve deployed were SMB or Enterprise grade. We had the 2 disk configured for mirror and a USB enclosure plugged into that backing up the QNAP (I never can remember if that’s RAID 1 or 0 without looking it up) for smaller clients, then went to the 8-12 disk units. We’d run them as SMB targets for VEEAM backups and they were AMAZING we were backing entire clusters in hours.

it has 3 drive bays, the QNAP does not come with the disks, you’ll have to order those separate. I recommend going to QNAPs web-page and looking at their recommended drives and specs on capacity.