Question Regarding Outside-of-Woot Advertising

Hey, Shirt.Woot peoples!

Over the years, I’ve participated in a few derbies. I’ve never printed (despite making it into the fog once), and I’m still trying to better myself as an artist and graphic designer.

I’ve recently started a Booster.com campaign – I’m printing an original design at $16/ea. on a AA t-shirt – but it’s struggling to make even the minimum order. So, I have a few questions:

1: Would posting a link to my campaign on these forums be against any Shirt.Woot community rules? The last thing I want to do is tick anyone off.

2: Can anyone recommend other online forums/websites/communities that may be interested in contributing to a Booster.com campaign?

3: Besides Booster.com, has anyone had any luck with print-to-order t-shirt websites (like Zazzle)?

I suppose, after all these attempts at submitting a design, I’m just interested in seeing something of mine printed on a t-shirt. Thanks for your time, guys. -:]

We don’t like shilling, so linking to another site with your stuff for sale counts as that.

Hopefully some artists can help with other resources, though.

I see, I see. Is there, by any chance, a list of forum rules posted somewhere on the site? I was trying to locate one, but I didn’t have much luck. -:] Oh! For future reference – that’s all! Not for the sake of argument, I promise. -:]

I completely understand and will, of course, respect the rules! However, I do have to say that I’m not sure that “shilling” would be the most appropriate word to use in this instance. I could understand if you had said, “We don’t allow advertising or self-promotion”. Shilling usually refers to something inherently dishonest; it’s a bit harsh. -;] People who shill also tend not to ask for permission before doing so.

Thank you for your prompt reply!

The short answer is no not really, we kinda just decide what we do or do not want in the community, and usually directly linking to your sales and actively trying to point people in the direction to buy or support you in some way is not allowed and we do consider it shilling. If you want to, like many other artists, put a non-invasive link/image in your signature leading to your website/product page/whatever, that is fine, but if it’s overly large or you clearly just start commenting with no real purpose other than to get your post & signature seen, we reserve the right to change or remove your signature/posts.

Here’s the places you can read through our general policy: in our FAQ, and also in our terms & conditions.

FAQ:
What is not allowed in the community?
First, the usual disclaimer – we’re not responsible for the content of any user- submitted post in our community. In practice, we’ll try to enforce some simple guidelines below. We want good and bad feedback and will not defend ourselves by means of censorship.
Do not post personal information such as addresses, phone numbers, etc.
Do not post any advertising to which you are related or stand to profit from the referral. (This means any reference to another site must be on topic, such as a lower price found, a product review, articles of particular interest to Wooters, etc.)
Do not post fake reviews (good or bad) of a product you have not physically used or seen used firsthand. Feel free to post what you’ve heard, just try to be clear and upfront about it.
Do not post anything that isn’t safe for work, or safe for kids. Again, think PG-13. We’re sure you’re aware that there are plenty of forums on the web that would love to have your smut. This is not one of them, and we’ll enforce it. Complain about it too much and we’ll tell your grandma what a sicko you are.
Do not include any graphics in your signature that are larger than 5K in filesize, or in any other way obnoxious.
We know spamming and forum vandalism when we see it. We will enjoy ruthlessly destroying it. So bring it, chumps! Bring it!

T&C:
REVIEWS, COMMENTS, COMMUNICATIONS, AND OTHER CONTENT

Visitors may post reviews, comments, photos, and other content; send e-cards and other communications; and submit suggestions, ideas, comments, questions, or other information, so long as the content is not illegal, obscene, threatening, defamatory, invasive of privacy, infringing of intellectual property rights, or otherwise injurious to third parties or objectionable and does not consist of or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings, or any form of “spam.” You may not use a false e-mail address, impersonate any person or entity, or otherwise mislead as to the origin of a card or other content. Woot reserves the right (but not the obligation) to remove or edit such content, but does not regularly review posted content.

Thank you for the clarification. I still can’t agree with your use of the word, but I understand. -:] I had seen users in the past post a link to their TeeFury design selling on a particular day, so I was testing the waters. That’s all.

Thanks again for your response!

woot used to allow posting links to other sites selling shirt designs made by derby artists other than the person posting the link but i don’t know if they frown upon that now.

O~h, thanks for linking to that thread. Interesting. It’s been almost a year since anyone posted in it, though. Booster.com is more of a crowd-funding campaign, too (despite the fact that I’m really just using it as a means of seeing something of mine printed), so I’m not sure whether I would really want to self-promote in that thread. Plus, I wouldn’t want to upset any current forum rules, so I’ll probably still refrain.

I’m just musing out loud, though. I appreciate your pointing it out. -:]

I stopped posting in that thread because the diminishing traffic yielded little to no return to the artists.

Yeah, I noticed that the thread fizzled out pretty hard. Oh, well. To everything, turn, turn, turn … and all that related babble. -;[ Seems like traffic has diminished all across the site/forums; I can’t believe one of my first designs ever got over 600 votes when first place is now printing at under 200. It’s a different atmosphere. (Sorry to get off-topic, though.)

Thanks for replying, by the way!