R. Merlo Trinity County Pinot Noir (4)

Sorry to be a little late to the party - a bottle of this arrived yesterday and I wasn’t expecting it to be up so soon.

PnP: Magenta color, lighter around the edges. Thin, slow-forming legs. Nose of cherry, oak, wet leaves, spice and a little heat. Cherry tart, mushroom, white pepper and prominent oak on the medium-bodied palate. This has a nice silky mouthfeel and isn’t as thin as many PNs. Lots of oak and soft tannins on the longish finish.

After an hour in the glass there is more spice, earthiness and a little more fruit. The oak, though still prominent, has knitted together nicely with the tannins.

I agree with rj that there is a lot going on with this wine although on the initial PnP the oak sort of overwhelmed the many nuances underneath (at least for me). After some air time and integration between the oak and tannins, this is really enjoyable.

I would suggest giving this wine an hour in the decanter or at least a run through the Vinturi before drinking. With the oak treatment this wine received (12 months/French/New) it should hold up nicely for another 3-5 years, minimum.

I’m up for a split if North316 or anyone in NE OH is interested.

ajrod27,

Do you want an order? We could all split the shipping.

This may nudge some of you over the fence:

Speed to first woot: 4m 25.668s
First sucker:suzgarrett
Last wooter to woot:rpm
Last purchase:7 minutes ago

How could I not? I’ve never had a wine from Trinity County before! And, it’s good numbers Pinot. Worth a try.

Daylight: now I understand murky in the morning.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mxTx39mkJLI/UbOdsB8sFCI/AAAAAAAAAnQ/8yrqtWL3S7g/s576/P1050670.JPG

Ok. Picked up two orders. We can work out the trade deets at the gathering.

As did I just now. Klez, you wanting two of these?

I’ll take two if Klez does not.

Yeah, I’ll take two. If you want to get rid of a third I’ll think about it :slight_smile: Our ledger is getting long…

Notes holding true to this morning. Touches of methanol when it gets too warm, ~72F. The oak/tannins are still right there with plenty of, but not, excessive acid for structure with the fruit. Seems like this easily has a few years left for most, perhaps a few extra for me as I don’t require the heavy, in general, fruit forward profile of many CA wines.

Pretty much agree with chipgreen, but I’m not getting as much cherry or pepper as it seems he is. This is not a light PN, so if you are looking for light, thin or fruity, this one likely isn’t for you.

In for two earlier.

Just keep track and send me a list before our next gathering.

Any fruit? I prefer RRV and Carneros pinots (though not overly fruit forward) over Oregon, and since Klez claimed his lot, on the fence on this…thanks!

I’ve moved on to a Barolo tonight, but yes, absolutely there is fruit, but perhaps not as much as you would like. I’ll bring a third bottle up next weekend, if WCC gets them out, and/or the remains of this bottle otherwise. It’ll keep with the Ar no problem. At least if this comes up again in a woot-off you’ll know what to expect.

OTOH, it looks like Klez would take a bottle off your hands if not to your liking. I could be game as well.