Raffaele Garbarino Red Blend (2)

Here is more for you:

Technical Notes
Harvest Dates: October 15 to October 25th
Alcohol: 13.8
Total Acidity: 5.8 g/L
pH: 3.55
Residual Sugar: 1.5 g/L

This wine is as noble and generous as the man from who it is named for. Coming from the Cinque Terre vineyard with its’ dense planting, vertical shoot position, deficit irrigation, and hand manipulation, it is inspired by some of the greatest vineyards in Bordeaux. The fruit was hand pick at a point where it was mature and balanced so as to produce a wine that is complex and not overpowered by any one component. The grapes were crushed and cold soaked for fuller extraction. Fermentation was conducted in stainless steel vessels and with yeast that are indigenous to the Bordelais region. The wine was pressed and rack into French oak barrels and aged 30 months. The wine was then blended and put back to barrel to allow the various components to integrate. From there the components of the wine were allowed to integrate together and evolve into the tincture that can be enjoyed today.

Our tasting notes:

This wine’s quality is evident by its deep garnet to brick red color coupled with its richly aromatic characters of fresh earth, cigar tobacco, cedar, leather, slight tones of eucalyptus, coffee, and cocoa. The rich flavors of blueberry, blackberry, and spices carry over from the aromas along with dried fruit, dried mushroom, and slight toasted oak. The well-developed tannin structure is an excellent representation of a wine that will be able to stand the test of time. This is wine to pairs well with Chateaubriand or grilled rib eye steak. While the wine craves to be paired with beef, it would also do well with pork tenderloin in a cherry reduction sauce, grilled pork chop on the bone with a garlic butter sauce, or leg of lamb with a rosemary garlic cream sauce.

Everyone gets to have an opinion, however, only you can know if the wine is for you after you taste it–someone else may think it foul, and you think it wonderful-see this EVERYDAY in the tasting room.

sent a PM with information, thanks for the offer.

This bottle is easy to open…corkscrew goes right through the wax and pop out the cork like any other bottle…you do not have to chip away at it…lol :slight_smile:

Thanks I always try to give an honest review, If people trust my taste, I certinaly don’t want to mislead someone, although I didn’t get a “Quality Post” for this one lol

This is wine is composed of Bordeaux varietals but our owner really made this wine as an ode to his grandfather. He is a 5th generation winemaker and from soil to bottle this wine was made old school style-by hand. It is a statement to his family history. Here are his comments:

Raffaele Garbarino immigrated to California in 1908 from Chiavari, Italy (near Genova), and was the patriarch of the Garbarino family that evolved in Northern California
It was Raffaele who brought the Italian tradition of Food and Wine to our family
It was Raffaele who would bring grapes from the Sierra Foothills to make wine in his cellar for the family.
As the eldest of the great grandchildren, my great grandfather, Raffaele, was an integral part of my memory and introduction to wine as daily part of our life
Making the best quality wine ever produced in Lodi, is a tribute to the tradition and life style that Raffaele brought to his American family, from Italy

Thanks for the additional info here, appreciate the effort.

Is/was this somewhat a one-off effort? Looking on your linked website I don’t see any additional offers, and CT only lists the '08 and perhaps '09 vintages.

Here many do tend to ignore points and TN’s from unknown persons, but many of us have also grown to know and trust the palates of of frequent posters. I’ve not seen Jennings here, but he does post prolifically, and with that single note and the one from Fred, we don’t have much to go on for a higher end bottle today.

Nice to see the mix of both new and used oak, and not see comments regarding heavily oaked.

Any chance you know the blending percentages?

Again, thanks for your participation and notes; that goes a long way here to helping out, and the ability to grab a cab crafted in a more traditional manner.

I have found that that the Teflon coated screws have trouble with wax caps. As in the Teflon coating is no longer effective after punching through a wax top.

The wine is estate grown and limited production. It is not available in stores and 2008 was the first vintage we put in the tasting room. It was made previously -but for the family to drink! Our owner has been on the business for 5 generations and 30 years-he was “pushed” by many friends in the industry to include sommeliers, to sell this wine.

The 2008 has the following
Composition:

35% Cabernet Sauvignon
28% Tannat
22% Cabernet Franc
15% Petite Verdot

We have had other wine offers here on Woot and we get many positive comments an reorders for the wine-this is our high end wine and there are not many reviews in the market place because it is not in the market. If you do not like it, you just let me know and I will make it right! We are very passionate about our wines, especially this one :slight_smile: Here is more on the story of the wine:
http://rgarbarinowine.com/

Tannat is not a traditional BDX grape, what did you feel it added to the blend?

Our winemaker has weighed in on the wax issue and says the wax " extends the life of the wine as it slows the aging process and preserves the fruit in the wine longer." :slight_smile:

balance is my opinion, here is our winemakers comment:

“Tannat adds Tannin structure. The variety is not a traditional Bordeaux blend variety,but it does come from Jurancon region of France which is just south of the Bordeaux region.”

It is worthy…be bold, like the wine, and try it :slight_smile:

So tannat is like Anakin Skywalker. Good deal.

lol!!!

I remember discussing wax caps early on with Clark Smith – maybe the first time he sold the Faux Chablis here? That one has the wax cap, which I’ve never had much luck removing with a corkscrew, despite what both he and today’s winery rep maintain. And that wine had especially crumbly corks (though every bottle of it I’ve opened has been fine – very fine.) But I don’t remember if the conversation got to your exact questions, concerning permeability and aging.

Here is some information about how we tend to the vines-with loving care:

Inspired by the great vineyards of Bordeaux and Europe:
Densely planted vines (1,800 per acre versus the standard California vineyard of 700 vines per acre)
Vertical trellising – highly disciplined and manicured canopy – controlling and managing sun exposure
Rows set at 45 degree angle, running east-west to maximize and manage sun exposure and ripening
All vineyard work is completed by the hand of my wife and I
Deficit irrigation is used to limit yields and maximize the intensity of the fruit
Practices to drive QUALITY: shoot thinning, leave pulling, and removal of fruit – all to increase the intensity fruit and complexity in the grapes

Our winemaker has weighed in on the wax issue and says the wax " extends the life of the wine as it slows the aging process and preserves the fruit in the wine longer."

and it looks cool!

Yes, I feel like I read that somewhere before…