Rain Dance

Why, eHalcyon - how utterly wise you are this evening (or morning or whatever)! Either that or I happen to agree with you completely and that leads one to think that you are wise.

Naaah… this is a gorgeous design.

awesome design, and glad it topped out. got one, going to convince a friend to get one as well.

I can’t see myself wearing this shirt, but it is a very gorgeous design, superbly done! I would like it as a poster or something that I’m not wearing though.

Most polytheistic societies had some kind of rain dance…and fertility dance all kinds of dances…dances to purify the world etc. The idea was to appease the Gods/Goddesses. Often times the dances would be under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs.

Also… the culture of “Ancient Egypt” is only about 5000 years old so the Native Americans would have been performing their rain dances concurrently. There have been people in North America for 20,000 years :wink:

BTW this is an awesome shirt. In for one.

Congrats. I like this one a lot. In for one, but I wish I had it for dress-down day at work tomorrow. Er…today.

Good quality. They fit snug so you might up the size one level.

I think I’d like this better if the background were the shirt color - either dark gray or black. I’ve found that with larger prints, they can get more uncomfortable and not move as freely - like with large iron-ons - as smaller or more spaced-out prints, so by having the background the same as the t-shirt would prevent that, plus allow the design to last for more washings/wearings. Just a thought and humble opinion.

In for one.

Really beautiful design. Grats on the print! :slight_smile:

W.t.h. I thought Darth Dance Revolution would win for sure… I DIDNT EVEN SEE THIS SHIRT

this belongs on a canvas in a exhibit :smiley:

Absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on the print, loop! In for one.

Seriously? This shirt was in the fog from the first day. Darth Dance Revolution was only in it for about 2 minutes.

Only if you are Robby the Robot from “Forbidden Planet”. When asked about oxygen, he said something to the effect “I rarely use it myself, sir, it promotes rust.”

But I suppose that isn’t what you mean.

On the other hand, although I don’t actually pay any real attention to it, t-shirt armpits quite definitely show that people have an extremely wide variation in body chemistry. Oh yes, I know you’ll say something about their personal hygiene and that kind of jazz, but really that isn’t a sufficient reason for what you sometimes see. After all, if you shove some type “A” blood into a person who has type “B” blood (well, it is actually how the antigens and a bunch of other stuff works), you are quite likely to kill the recipient. There are people who can taste a given chemical in a certain plant and others who cannot.

The question here, however, is whether or not the “asphalt dye” is of any peculiar chemical composition. If it is a weak dye to begin with, then nearly anything can change it - perhaps even to a rust color. On the other hand, if it is a particularly fast dye, a truly resistant one, then not much of anything will have any effect.

I am reminded of the red hand/work cloths that are often used in automobile work. I don’t know what the dye is in them, but I’ve never seen ANYTHING continue to bleed (gee whiz, red cloth bleeding. what a thought!) washing after washing… and you NEVER dare put much of anything in a washer load with them unless you like, for example, pink t-shirts or socks or the like.

On the other hand, exactly what was your question really aimed at?

Congrats on the win, but I’m holding out for Do The Robot and/or Salsa Dancing.

Oh, as far as questions of quality - woot! shirts are my favorite shirts in my closet, both for the designs and the quality of the material. It’s a lighter-weight fabic but the three I’ve bought have held up perfectly. I’m a skinny guy(5’8", 130lb) so the smaller fit of the American Apparel shirts is PERFECT for me. I wear a medium and I love the way they fit. However, if you’re bigger person, you might want to order a bigger size than you normally do.

American Apparel makes a decent shirt, but if you’re deciding between two sizes I would recommend going for the bigger one.

This design is gorgeous and I fully intend to to make one of these shirts into a pillow for my couch.

I like the Garbage reference :smiley:

Let us simply ignore copyright law for a moment.

To begin with, I wonder if any given design is the same size on all size shirts. I cannot imagine it varying. However, if a big shirt had a big copy of the design, you would prefer to buy one of those. If the design is the same size on all then it is irrelevant and you ought to buy one that you (or someone you wish to give it to) could wear it.

In any case, if you have a truly primo camera or have access to a friend who has one (and it is going to have to have RAW output available), you certainly could, with careful work, obtain an excellent and true-color electronic representation of the design

At this point, you have two (or possibly more) routes to take. You could merely depend on Really Good resampling algorithm and print it on decent acid-free glossy stock, frame it & there you go.

The alternative would be to import it into Photoshop or GIMP or whatever you like: in this case it has to be something that handles line drawings particularly well and represent the lines mathematically so that scaling is direct and exact. There is a format that works to this standard that Wikipedia prefers. The point being that when you make an enlargement, it ends up being about as perfect a copy as you can obtain. Then, once again you go through whatever printing process you happen to like or have available.

Then you’d have the art you could hand in the halls of a museum. Of course, you would have STOLEN the design, in effect, but at least you’d have it in the format you want and not as a T-shirt.

For what it is worth, that is why I always save off the “detail” copy of the graphics. I realize that they are generally too small to be used in the first method to speak of, but one might be able to deal with the second if the detail was not onerously complex.

In any case, I’ve got a 13x19 inch printer (and you should see how much the paper costs and how fast it slurps through ink!) Nonetheless, I have been able to take some better-than-average photographs - one of my favorites is the seed-empty head of a giant sunflower plant once all of the seeds have been picked out by the birds and the remain portions are a nearly continuous “pointy” field of structures that had previously held the seeds. One person might see it as an ugly dead plant, but I consider it to be not unlike some of the more modern, abstract and radially symmetrically pieces of art. Blown up to a fair portion of the big sheet of paper, (about5x enlargement from the original), it ends up being fairly impressive, particularly with dust in the air and a bright sun just off to the side behind it.

So… if you like a t-shirt design a lot, perhaps you can contact the artist and get a print made for some reasonable fee. Or else, you can go through the rather arcane process I’ve outlined above. If the artist found that enough people wanted prints made (and supposing that shirt.woot! doesn’t hold some sort of exclusivity clause), then perhaps they could make a tidy profit performing this service - the topic seems to come up often enough here in the community, so there HAS to be some kind of outlet for that kind of energy.

I really liked this shirt when I voted for it. While I do not regret my vote, because it is a beautiful design… now that I see it up and available for purchase, something just doesn’t seem right about it.

I believe I agree with a previous post - I would much rather have it as a poster, than a shirt.

It just doesn’t look like it belongs on a shirt. Like, if you imagine the Mona Lisa… a beautiful painting, but if you take a picture of that painting and slap it on a brown tshirt, it’s just… kind of there. The Mona Lisa belongs framed, on a wall.

That is how I feel about this thing. If the artist somehow could make a painting of this, I would probably pay a good amoung of money… then have it framed… and then PROUDLY mount it on my wall.

No offense at all to the artist. As I said, I don’t regret my vote, one bit. It’s just being injusticed by being slapped on a shirt. Art this graceful belongs on a more… (searches for word)… deserving(?) medium.

congrats loop!
beautiful design

ckf