Rain Republic triple-single-origin Guatemalan Chocolate Ten - Pack

I don’t know there website has chocolate growing in trees?

100 percent natural means anything can be in it…hmmm

Here is some random history that I remember hearing. Aside from growing great coffee beans Guatemala grows some of the best cocoa beans in the world. This is due to the fact that the ancient Mayans (edit: and other societies in the region) had a variety of uses for the cocoa bean from obviously enjoying its great taste in foods but apparently some medicinal uses as well. The bean was so highly prized that it was used as a form of currency. Most of the “commoners” couldn’t really enjoy chocolate on a regular basis, however, as its high value made it highly sought by the nobles and other wealthy people in their society. The point is the bean dates back so far in this region that they have developed tons of different techniques for cooking it and using it, and they’ve really had a huge amount of time to perfect their recipes for chocolate. That being said I bet this is some great chocolate so I will most likely be in for one.

your paraphrasing skills are awesome.

The price per bar comes to $2.499_ before shipping or $2.999_ including shipping which seems steep but as far as I can tell is actually not that bad of a deal for a shipped premium bar of chocolate.

Just one example compare to Lindt, a very well known and regarded brand, which is $3.50 - $8.00 per bar.

ty!

Yea but you know Lindt is smoking good!

Actually I had to study South American culture during Spanish courses in college (needed four semesters to graduate). During my fourth semester, in order to keep people interested in a subject they were otherwise just grinding to get through, we had a two weeks where we studied South America culminating in a paper assigned about South American culture. I chose to write something about Mayan society. I found the information on chocolate and found it particularly interesting to show how they bartered goods. I did major in Sociology and Economics, and since I was very interested in sociology I decided to write the paper like a sociological study. So yeah, I am paraphrasing, but I did the research almost two years ago so I don’t remember any of my sources. If you can find some feel free to post them. Four years of college definitely taught me you have to back claims up with information so I did feel a bit uncomfortable posting that, then again this is a forum and it is random stuff I happen to remember so I just posted it up.

So that being said, since I knew that about chocolate in the region but never had the opportunity to try any I find this offering from W.W to be very tempting. I’ve been buying too much extra stuff lately though so I need to decide if I should really spend the money on ten chocolate bars.

EDIT: I meant Central and South America. Everything that wasn’t present day Mexico. Honest oversight, hell it’s only a subcontinent at best. :wink:

Two ounces is a little more than half of the size of an ‘average’ chocolate bar, so the price is very high. However, money is no object to the true chocoholic.

Except… Guatemala is not in South America. Neither were the Mayans (although some of them were in Guatemala). Just sayin’.

You’re right, I should have said Central and South. I was referring to everything South of Mexico, and since they did overlap both areas it was an acceptable topic. Central America is quite small in comparison to South America and since it has a large concentration of Spanish speaking countries it was grouped together in the study of the entire region. Mexico was an entirely different unit though; Anything that was just in present day Mexico wasn’t an acceptable topic for the paper. We even had to memorize the present day capital cities of every Spanish speaking country in North and South America which sucked, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to know. Was a lot to memorize the night before the exam though, especially since there was maybe two questions total where that had to be known to answer correctly.

(Yeah, I did pretty bad in the course, but it was Spanish and I put minimal effort into it. I’m not great at learning different languages.)

You are correct-- they are Meso-americans…

Aren’t Lindt bars a lot bigger too? Perhaps we can compare by saying these bars here are $1.25 per oz (shipping not incl.) and the lindt bars range from $0.79 - $1.00 per oz

Prepare your wallets. In 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1…we have WOOT LAUNCH.

You had me at chocolate.

FYI: Where does chocolate come from?

Honestly where the beans are grown is not nearly as important as which variety they are.

Lindt and 90% of the other chocolate bars on the market use the cheaper, higher yield and lower quality Forastero beans, Only the best chocolates use Criolo and Trinitario beans.

This seems like it will be better than lindt (Which is saying almost nothing… they are the bottom rung of the high end chocolate ladder) And I’d pay 3$ to try it, but 30$ is a steep price of admission to try something when you aren’t sure if its decent quality or not. Soy letchin makes me assume it isn’t if we don’t know the bean type

Also what the heck is this “Triple Single Origin” buisness, first time hearing the buzzword.

The Criollo bean genotype is indigenous to Guatemala-- and is also the highest quality cacao variety…

LOL I’d rep you if I could!

I’ve heard “single origin” batted about for chocolate before. Chocolatiers like to compare it to single malt scotch… instead of blending a lot of different places, years, kinds, whatever, you’re trying a specific place at a specific time.

When I went on a tour of Theo, a Seattle “bean to bar” chocolatier, they said that soy lecithin is used by “lesser” (from their perspective) chocolate makers as a replacement for some (or all!) of the cocoa butter. Soy lecithin is cheaper, and it makes the chocolate ship better.

Theo Chocolate costs a lot more than this, though. Tons of “high end” popular chocolate manufacturers use soy lecithin… aforementioned Lindt etc. If you enjoy Lindt and similar chocolates, this will probably taste good.

It is kind of weird that they’re trumpeting triple single origin, which is a total chocolate snob thing to do, and then they’re using soy lecithin… which is something chocolate snobs like to get their snob on about.