Rainwater Harvesting System

This is for the 1%. The other 99% are smart enough not to throw $175 down the “drain”.
And if you don’t find that constructive advice you are free to lose your $175.

Epic Fail only one sold in 15 minutes. This has to be a Woot record for something under $200

I,m a mosquito farmer and these things work great!

Burn gas and pollute the environment to use free water? No way! We built a rain collection system 4 years ago from 3 large garbage cans hooked together with PVC pipes. It takes more time, but we use this water to fill our watering can and hand-water plants, trees, and shrubs.

I’m wondering how you can make rainwater illegal. You know, since it falls from the sky, is natural, and no one owns it. Seems kinda fishy to me. I am aware there are dry seasons out there, but if one barrel of water is going to make or break your climate, you might have bigger problems.

I wish it was shaped like a barrel… or maybe a rock… :slight_smile:

I don’t see anything listed or in pics that would prevent mosquitoes or debris from getting in this. You should be able to keep both out with a screen with VERY small holes over where the water enters, but I’m not willing to buy this without knowing what kind of preventative measures are included. Checked Google, and I still can’t find a pic of this from a top-down view that might tell me.

Also, really? Illegal to harvest rainwater in places? How the heck do they justify that when trying to pass the law?

You can also use Mosquito Dunks, which is a BTI bacteria that only affects mosquito larva. It’s certified for Organic gardening. Cheapest I’ve seen is Amazon:

http://amzn.com/B0002568YA

Doubt it.

I believe I recall anti-water harvesting laws generally relate to draught prone areas where what little rainfall they get needs to enter the ecosystem, and not sit in people’s barrels. Although i’m not really sure of the science behind that.

Unless this thing has some revolutionary way of getting the tar/asphalt/pine needles/leaves/seeds and whatever else out of the water that junk will ruin any pressure washer in a heartbeat. But s far as watering your garden goes you can hook a trickle irrigation hose up to one of these and just let it gradually water your garden, which works nicely. I wouldn’t pay $175 for this though. If you really want a water collection system you can find a 55 gallon plastic drum and a $30 “rain barrel kit” and make one of these for under $100. Or just buy one for $92 at home depot. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203079116/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

So if it’s illegal to harvest rain water, do cops arrest buckets for loitering as well?

Older article from a biased site, but it’s true.

Apparently, if everyone were to harvest their own rainwater, the amount of water that eventually gets to the municipal source is diminished to the point of not being able to reliably supply potable water.

Some information on Rainwater Harvesting in Colorado. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06702.html

Summary: Its illegal because the water quality is crap due to bird crap on most surfaces. Sounds like a bunch of crap!

Dang…Water is expensive where you live. I get a slightly evil stare from the wife for making our summer water bill jump to $150…and thats for 3 Months!

I have the rainreserve system it is a 100% closed system, no skeeters here

It’s true.

Water rights are a big deal in the western states.

I live in CO, and I’ve learned you have no right to stop the “natural” flow of water, including rainfall.
And water rights are separate from land rights, so when you buy a house or a ranch, the water rights don’t come with it automatically.

So it’s not that you may not use the rainwater, per se, it’s just that you may not retain it.
If you can figure out a way to use it without retaining it, then you’re golden, I guess.

Okay, so I don’t have a yard yet but I have always wondered whether these really are that helpful. It doesn’t seem like it would collect enough water to last for very long…

On the mosquito front, thanks for the oil tip, I hadn’t heard that one before, but would a couple of drops of dish soap work as well? I sometimes use soapy water to spritz bugs off of my plants.

Sorry, dude.
I agree that’s crap, but that’s not why it’s illegal to collect rainwater in CO.

It’s because of water rights.