Ramazzotti 2009 Frizzante Blanc de Blanc Sparkling Wine Marini Vineyard - 3 Pack

Popped open this bottle for friends at dinner tonight. I actually ended up using some of this bubbly in the steamed clams I made for diner.

Everyone said that this sparkling wine was the easiest bubbly do drink. They commented that this bubbly want as effervescent as compared to other sparkling wines. They were actually able to taste it and not have to fight through getting a mouth full of bubbles.

This wine paired well with the sweetness of the clams. Definitely one of the better sparkling wines I’ve had.

Wish this was up a couple weeks ago, I’ve been looking for a decent bubbly for college graduation but I think I’ll probably have to buy one locally now.

Oh well gives me a reason to splurge on a french champagne.

Just for the sake of clarity (since labels can be confusing), having secondary fermentation in bottle does not necessarily mean Champenoise. The transfer method also features secondary in the bottle - often denoted on labels as “fermented in bottle,” as opposed to “fermented in THIS bottle,” which would characterize Champenoise.

Not saying you aren’t aware of this - just putting it out there, as a lot of guests read the forums as well.

Really wish I could be in for this, but since I’m trying to get rid of my wine before I move cross country, I guess I’m out. So sad… unless anybody in the bay area is willing to part with 1 bottle. :slight_smile:

I guess I should buy some and hold onto it for your eventual visit to Buffalo.

I’ve been waiting on more Iron Horse. I can’t wait to buy more. I can’t finish what I have for fear of not having some on hand.

Hahaha. Possibly but not sure when I’ll be able to make the trip. And you might be tempted to drink it before I do. :slight_smile:

I shouldn’t have read all the messages praising Iron Horse… as it’s now Auto-Buy for me as soon as it pops up on here!

Perhaps the winemaker could clarify. The audio clip does say methode champenoise, but his post said in the bottle.

I must say it is unusual to have a methode champenoise marketed so young. Assuming it first went into the bottles in December 2009 for secondary fermentation, it appears to have had little more than a year in the (this?) bottle before riddling, disgorgement, and bottling.

Many here know my taste runs to champagnes and California sparklers with substantially more age than that (I love late disgorged Iron Horse, among others).

I’m very curious about why this didn’t spend at least a couple of years on the yeasts in secondary fermentation.

Thanks for clarification. Labels can be tricky and I am not familiar enough with wine production.

Good point. The youngest vintage Champagnes on wine shop shelves are 2004, while the 2002’s are still showing a big presence. I’m not as familiar with the current releases for vintage domestic bubbly, but if made similarly with quality fruit, should be similar… or could that could be too much of an assumption.

At one point I had over a case of IH. I had plans to give some of it away as a gift to a friend. That was over 6 months ago. I can’t give it up. I’m a crappy friend.

So glad you enjoyed it and you’ve given us a great idea with the clams - thanks!

I’m in agreement with rpm and lassow, these appear to be a little young for vintage sparkling. A quick look at Iron Horse and Schramsberg turned up nothing younger than 2007. Even Gruet from New Mexico has no vintage sparkling younger than 2007. Maybe this is more like a traditional NV sparkler. And maybe it they’ve figured out a way to accelerate the aging process. This will be hard to assess without actually tasting. Oh well, I already have more sparkling than I need.

LOL! You’re not a crappy friend, you’re a devoted oenophile.

Not an assumption - It is made with high quality Chardonnay grapes grown in the Dry Creek Valley. We pick the fruit more ripe and at a higher sugar level - 21.5% which in turn reduces the acid levels and allows for a shorter fermentation. This has resulted in a lovely bubbly with low acidity and a softness on the back palate. The proof is in the drinking - cheers!

If you’re a fan of IH you would be doing yourself a disservice by not taking advantage of this offer - you are going to be a very happy sipper and will congratulate yourself with another glass of Ramazzotti Frizzante!

The grapes were picked at higher sugar levels to reduce the acid levels. After crafting the still wine and barrel fermentation in oak, the wine was transported to Rack and Riddle where it was bottled with Joe’s choice of yeast added. The resulting secondary fermentation took six months in the bottle. After riddling, the lees (yeast and sediment) accumulated in the neck of each bottle until ready for disgorging. Each bottle’s neck was frozen and the lees removed. Joe and Bob prepared the ‘dosage’ - a closely kept Ramazzotti secret - an topped off to give it an old-school character. 1.5% sugar was added to make a Brut which is dry to very dry, but never austere. 12.8% alcohol, Brut (1.5% residual sugar).

Buy one of these 3 packs - it will make the parting of some of the other a little easier!

Thread hijack…

I just got my 1st “big girl” wine cooler!!! It’ a 100 bottle cooler!!! (got to love craigslist!) Yea me!!! My hubby was thinking that I would give up my 50 bottle one… NOT!!! We just brought it home… I will let it sit for a couple of days… then, …let the filling begin!!!

back to your regular thread…