Razer Lycosa Backlit Gaming Keyboard

I have not looked, but most post-2007-08 keyboards are USB. PS/2 went out long ago. Moreover, since Night Ghost said this has a USB port built in that means it has to be a USB connection to the PC.

Now watch me log on to the front page and see that this is PS/2. :slight_smile:

USB

tim711 says:

“I just purchased this keyboard and I am also running Linux Ubuntu Jaunty. I love the keyboard; backlit, lightweight, sleek look. My only issue so far when using this on linux is that the super key doesn’t seem to function at all. Have you noticed this? Is there a way to resolve this? I installed the drivers using wine.”

link - tim’s post is the second response.

It plugs into 2 USB ports, and the keyboard has 1 USB port.

Does anybody know if this will have full functionality through a KVM switch? I am assuming the programability of keys will be lost, but will the backlight still function properly?

JohnC89 says "Not compatible with KVM:

link - John’s review is the 5th one down.

johnnyc15417 confirms here - 4th review down.

So it won’t work with KVM, and may even self-destruct if your name is John.

A little old, but it still is a review. I wrote this review a while ago and when Woot previously had this board, most people found it useful.

This is a plain $20 keyboard with a backlight, the same ones you find at best buy. Get educated about keyboards and know exactly what you’re paying for:

Google “filco majestouch” for a decent keyboard instead of gimmicky cheap keyboards like this.

careful… punkbuster inst compatible with the program used for the macro keys :frowning: but you can turn it off and still use the keyboard

You failed to mention that the filco majestouch is $155.56 USD after tax/shipping for a keyboard that looks like it’s from 1981. I think a $20 USD keyboard for $39.99 is a much better deal, even if it’s lacking mechanical key switches.

“1000Hz Ultrapolling™ / 1ms response time”

Pure marketing BS. This is not a function of the keyboard, but a windows configuration. You can do this for any usb device.

my point was, if you buy this keyboard, most of the money is going towards the backlight. the keyboard itself is nothing special. if you’re willing to spend more money for something that looks cool but functions like any other cheap stuff, then more power to you… a lot of apple users do it.

checkout apple’s slim aluminum wireless keyboard.

I’d rather spend an extra $40 and get the apple keyboard instead of this one… at least it’s new and looks waay cooler. (works for pc too)

Specifically? The texture and macro abilities…and the fact that it’s Razer really.

The keys and wrist-rest have a grip to them, just enough to feel cool but not stick your fingers to the keys. It’s kind of the equivalent of having keys that are rounded inward, even though this board has that too.

Macro abilities are always nice and the Razer part is all quality. You won’t see the coating on the keys rubbing off anytime soon with this keyboard like you do on many other backlighted boards.

Ooh also audio and usb ports on the sides, can’t forget those. It’s a high quality keyboard, nothing more to it.

You should not make assumptions about us, you presumptuous, highfalutin sn_ob.

Having bought keyboards since 1984 I know exactly what I am buying. In fact, I have taken apart many a keyboard to make repairs.

Yeah, high quality mechanical keyboards are OK, but those are for people still using fax machines and pagers or for people who type for a living such as writers or secretaries.

What you call a gimmick keyboard is actually for gamers and others who need a lighted keyboard because they type in total darkness.

The good quality $40 to $80 keyboards are fine nowadays and that’s what most people use and are used to. (In fact mechanical keys to most people feel odd, not better. That’s because people have been brought up on non-mechanical keyboards.)

Even if this was not lighted, I’m fine with the $40 keyboard because they last about two to three years after which I simply throw them away or donate them with my old PCs to charity.

Understand now. Not everyone wants your outdated $100++ mechanical keyboard.

I’ve been told that razer makes products that look great but perform terribly
Though I am irritated that this is cheaper than what I paid for my saitek, though not really since mine is a quality piece

woot please offer a backlit keyboard with WHITE lights, for the wootoff. thanks.

I have one and am using it right now as a matter of fact. As an owner there are just a few issues that I have found that I think are worth noting.

1. The texture of the keys holds dust and grit very well, which if not wiped off regularly makes the keys feel gritty and dirty. Does wipe off just fine.
  2. Looks dusty quite rapidly. It could be due to my cats love of my desk, but this is the only keyboard I have had that looks dirty so soon after cleaning it. Again, cleans just fine, but the texture of the keys HOLDS DUST AND DIRT.
  3. In certain lighting the backlighting can be hard to see. With the backlight off the letters and numbers are all but impossible to see in any lighting. Looks best in a dimly lit room. Not bright, not dark, but dim makes it look best.
  4. As stated, it does want 2 USB ports, but I pluged my mouse into the keyboard so no issues there. (Even though I still have several ports left unused on my tower…)

Those are the only caveats I feel I can offer about this keyboard. I have no problems with the key motions or size or anything. As far as that goes it is a very nice unit.

Key texture and backlight brightness are the biggest two problems with this keyboard. Brightness is not adjustable other than on or off. And the texture of the keys can be troublesome for those who slide their fingers along the keys due to the grainy feel (if a “dirty” feel bothers you).

Summary - 3 out of 5 stars. If I was to buy another keyboard at this price level I would probably try a different one before buying a second of this model.

These things suck.
Mine broke a week after I got it. I went round and round with tech support. They kept telling me do this and that, then after I did every test and scenario to prove it was a keyboard failure they quite responding to my emails.

Bought two last time from Woot. Wife absolutely loves her’s. No complaints at all from her (about her Razer keyboard at least). She likes the soft feel & of course the backlighting.

Personally I can’t type on the flat keyboards with recessed keys. Actually I can’t type on most any of the fancy shmancy backlit macro gaming keyboards for one reason or another. The problem is I can’t type.

What I need is a basic keyboard with nice normal sized protruded keys, all in their proper places. Nice cheap garbage picked dell keyboards for me!

It’s nice that keyboards are cheap now days. Back in ummm 1994? I was playing DOOM on my brothers 486 machine & pressed a bit hard trying to kill something & SNAP goes the keyboard. Cost be nearly $100 to replace it back then! For me, cheap is good, cuz I can break the best.

have fun dealing with the keys randomly stopping. right in the middle of a game you may not be able to move left or right up or down, ohh even better is when they stick for no reason so you only move left right up or down. only way i found to fix it is unplug the thing wait a few seconds and plug it back in. SUPER!!!

yea, about 1 a month on average for me. I have to unplug n restart. But other then that, FANTASTIC Keyboard!!! support from razar is awesome too.