RCA RT2390 500-Watt 5.1 Home Theater System

Somebody help me out…what does (rox0rz!) mean?

Ranges from $127.00 - $130.00 on dealtime.com
Shopping Online at Shopping.com | Price Comparison Site
not a bad woot at all for those who need it

I have one of these - Bought it from the store that Sam built…

Subwoofer has multiple settings… from mild to vibrate the floor…
I live in an apartment & it’s a nice fit for the size room. I never have to go more than halfway on the volume, so the distortion isn’t really an issue.

Retail was $129 - ARRRRWOOOOOooooooooo good woot!

Having purchased various RCA audio stuff as father’s day presents and christmas gifts, I have to say that YES the stuff obviously works but it is FAR from top of the line. Else, Radio Shack wouldn’t have this on sale every other holiday.

And refurb? I know its father’s day soon, but I’ll skip on this Woot, thanks.

i’m in the market to buy a home theater system but this looks really crappy. i think i’m going to get the onkyo ht-s790 instead

/me cracks his knuckles

glad I bought me that there Monster Gaming system for $50 instead of this here RCA thingy ma jigger. both of them are 5.1 surround sound…*(&^$kinda^&… and my Monster’s are in two tone color just like these… but I got um 20 bucks cheaper!

Nightly Haiku:

Very glad am I,
For woot to give me good deals!
But Lo! Not this time

Read reviews at Epinions.com

One excerpt:
Pros: Very easy set up. I liked the color coded speaker wires.
Cons: RCA claims 500 watts, but I had more power in a 100 watt system.

When I saw that the system was 500 watts, I thought that it would be more than I needed but that I would not have to use all of that power. When I connected my DVD player directly to the RT2390, even at max power, I could listen comfortably even through the loud parts of the movie. When I connected back to my switch that connects everything to the TV and then chose the TV setting on the RT2390, then I could set it at 25 (half-power) which is plenty high enough for the FM radio, if I turned the TV up all the way, it could definitely blow my socks off. I guess the old saying is still correct. “You get what you pay for.” It is still a very nice system if you do not run your DVD, VCR, etc. through it.

well, after having watched the products here on woot for about a week, i finally made my first buy. i got trigger happy and just clicked buy. seems i’m saving conveniently 50 bucks or therebouts. Ah, not too bad considering this’ll make a good Christmas present. Can’t wait to experience my first woot-off though, as one can imagine, i’m pretty stoked. =)

If you really need a cheap sorround sound this would be the one to get but for a little more you could get a better one, and this one is refurbished its not what its all cracked up to be

on second thought, if you have a small space that you want to supercharge, this system would be plenty. I have a yamaha with only 400 watts in an 13 by 11 room! Its way loud enough… especially when the THX advertisment comes on at the beginning of the movie. Who can pass up all these speakers and DVD player for 79? You cant get JACK for that much anywhere.

My roomate has the ONKYO, and his subwoofer kicks out some SERIOUSe sound. Go with your intuition mate, but you can’t steer wrong with the ht-s790

I have a GOOD system in my living room.

The kids room has NOTHING… this will do fine for that room…

If it gets loud enough to distort, it’s probably too loud anyways…

I may have been either #1 or #2 to purchase this one. The $80 price didn’t even make me blink. I’m upset that I forgot to buy 3 of them, and then it wouldn’t let me go back and buy two more with the same card.

This is so upsetting everytime I’m interested in buying a woot. It ends up being refurbished! Darn me and my personal vendetta against refurbished stuff!

I’d buy this but I got the last RCA 5.1 200 watt one. That one isn’t too bad either. Here’s some other images from newegg of the RCA RT2390:

http://www.toddmorrison.com/img/RCA_RT2390_1.jpg

http://www.toddmorrison.com/img/RCA_RT2390_2.jpg

http://www.toddmorrison.com/img/RCA_RT2390_3.jpg

Target has a 20 dollar mail in rebate for these on their website–don’t know what the price is there or if you could use it with the w00t refurb, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

http://target.com/target/promotions/rebates/B0002ARLAK.pdf

hows the quality of the speakers?

Note: This post contains pricing information for future reference because it is generally not available elsewhere once the next Woot has been offered.

RCA RT2390 500-Watt 5.1 Home Theater System
$79.99 + $5 shipping
condition: Refurbished
product(s): 1 RCA RT2390 500-Watt 5.1 Home Theater System

The facts that it is branded RCA (the venerable name purchased by a French company to slap on its line of schlock) and that it is refurbished are two reasons to say “no” to this offering.

Better Woots ahead…there always are.

I post this not to attack the woot tonight, (err this morning) only as a simple reference for everyone.

When a product says ‘500’ watts in big shiny letters…that means Watts peak. Not watts RMS. So, if the planets align properly, lightening strikes your home, and you crank this baby up…you may max out at 500 watts for 4 or 5 ms, after which this thing would probably explode into tiny bits. Another key point to remember is that there is a little measure called a THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) and as the power goes up, this number rises as well…so for that split second of 500 Watts of RCA goodness…30 % of that sound will be distorted due to the amplifier.

Again…just a small aid I thought I would give to those who see big numbers and go, “oooooh”

the target coupon MIR is not for the refurbished system IIRC.

this is a good woot on a crappy system. if you want it for your kid’s room, go ahead, but be sure to not invite your own friends to hear it.