Recipe Exchange IV - Beef

Hey, I just got home from work. Ok, I will post them before football picks if we all agree I don’t lose man points…ok?

You have man points? And here I thought you were a '90s kind of guy.

I don’t get that one, but I did just read one of d’name’s posts, so I may be impaired for a bit.

Never mind, you may be too young. sigh

Young at heart (and obviously mind at times) made in 1962.

You’re older than I thought. Please, not an insult.

Beef Stroganoff

2 lb round steak, 1/4 inch
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup sherry
Salt & Pepper
1 pint sour cream

Cut steak into strips, 1/4 inch by 1 inch long. Brown meat in oil. Push to one side and add onions and mushrooms, sauté until soft. Mix with meat. Stir in tomato. Sprinkle flower over all and blend well. Add sherry & stir until a gravy is formed. Season to taste. Cover and cook until meat is tender. Blend in sour cream. Serve over noodles.

Hmmm . . . sounds good. I’ve never seen sherry in a stroganof recipe before.

Hmm, does sound good. Thanks.

No insult taken. None of us can pick our age.

I thought there was a nation-wide recall on that year’s models?!?!?

Please don’t take this the wrong way but I thought he was in his 50’s. Funny how we read into things differently online.

Thank you for posting the recipe. I know we’ve never used sherry in our stoganoff but I’m willing to give it a try. Thanks again!

Bul Gogi (broiled beef) – Korean Beef in my lingo

(Authentic Korean recipe from a really nice lady named Chon (and a family favorite))

1 lb. Beef – fillet or prime roast
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oil (sesame or peanut oil)
3 tablespoons sugar (brown or regular) (I think brown is better)
2 tablespoons prepared sesame seeds
3 green onions
2 cloves garlic
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Cut meat across grain about 3 inches long and paper (less than 1/4 in.) thin.

Chop garlic and green onions very small.

Mix together onion, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, oil, pepper and sesame seeds. Marinate the meat in this mixture for at least an hour or overnight in the refrigerator (edit, overnight is best).

Cook on grill (charcoal or gas) (yes, you can broil in an oven too) on grate until tender. Flip during cooking (I like it to get a little well done, just me).

Eat while hot with rice and vegetables or salad. 5 servings.

Final note: The grilling part can be tricky and it helps to have two people, it cooks fast.

probably should have been, I didn’t get the notice.

Tricky because it gets done fast?

What are prepared sesame seeds?

Do you have a fine-mesh grill that you use when doing this?

tricky - they do cook fast. by the time you lay the strips out, you go back and start flipping, by the time you have done your flipping the first ones need to come off. ( of course thickness and the grill may change this). I use tongs and a helper is always welcome.

Prepared - humm - I typed in the recipe from Chon pretty much verbatim, I am sure we just use sesame seeds from McCormick. I can ask the wife. In Chon’s world there may have been a plant attached to the seeds. Sorry.

Just the standard one, putting the strips horizontally of course. If they are too short you can have an issue. Nothing worse than dropping one through…

Do you cook as soon as the coals are cherry-red with no flames or let them ash over a bit?