Recipe Exchange V - Vegetables

ROASTED VEGETABLES

1 tbls. chopped fresh thyme
2 tbls. chopped fresh rosemary
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbls. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

Mix and toss with any vegetables you like. If they’re really hard (ex. carrots), I’ll parboil first. I use potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, squash, carrots, onions, peppers.

Roast at 475 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

Can be made a day ahead and reheated.

pretty much what i do too but i add eggplant and whole garlic cloves! for people that don’t like eggplant this makes it less bitter.

veggies, huh?

vitamin goodness!

I would think you’d really be able to contribute here.

Easy, and everyone does this I’m sure, but slice up potatoes, add chopped onion and green peppers. Put in a bunch of butter and seasoned salt.
Did I mention this goes in a foil bag or packet?
Throw it on the grill for about 30 minutes or thereabouts.
Yum.

I have the basic corn casserole recipe as well, the one that calls for sour cream and Jiffy corn muffin mix. That is Yum as well.

This is what I made for dinner. It was tasty!

Roasted Red Pepper & Eggplant Soup

2 eggplants (about 2 1/2 pounds total), halved

4 red bell peppers (about 22 ounces)

1/4 cup olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium shallots chopped
1 medium leek, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise (white and pale green parts only; about 2 cups)
6 large garlic cloves, minced
8 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Parmesan cheese shavings

Preheat oven to 450°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Pierce eggplants all over with fork. Transfer, cut side down, to baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly. Remove peel and discard. Cut eggplants into large pieces. Rinse eggplant pieces under running water. Drain well. Set aside.

Char bell peppers over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag 10 minutes. Peel, seed and coarsely chop peppers.

Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and leek and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in eggplant, peppers, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in basil and thyme. Cool slightly.

Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. (Or just use an immersion blender, I do) Season with salt and pepper. Add butter and lemon juice; stir over low heat until soup is heated through, about 5 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Transfer to large bowl; garnish with Parmesan.

Broccoli Salad

4 cups chopped broccoli
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons red bell pepper, chopped
3 strips of crispy fried bacon, crumbled
5 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar

Blanche broccoli by putting in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain in a colander.

Combine broccoli with the next 4 ingredients. Mix mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar and pour over salad. Toss lightly.

Beracho beans
1 lb rinsed and sorted dry pinto beans
1 sm vidalia or 1015 onion, chopped
1/2 lb chopped bacon
4 oz fresh cilantro leaves.
12-24 oz of regular beer.
1 can whole tomatos, chopped

Rinse and sort the pinto beans to remove dirt and rocks. place pintos in a large bowl and cover with water. Let the beans soak overnight (about 10 hours).

The next day, in a large pot, cook chopped bacon and onions over high heat until onions are tender.
Drain off excess grease, leaving about 3 tablespoons worth in the pot.
Drain beans and add to the pot with enough fresh water to cover. Add salt to taste.
Cook on high until beans come to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high and simmer for 1 hour. Do not let water boil out! Keep adding water to cover the beans!
Add beer, tomatoes, and 1/2 the cilantro leaves. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until skins on the beans begin to split, and beans are tender. Check and make sure beans have plenty of liquid, either beer or water.

You may eat it the first day, but beans are best re-heated the second or third day.
Add a few plain tortilla chips and serve in a bowl as a soup or in a cup as a veggie. Also really good with a dollop of sour cream. You may also add meat if desired.

Takes time but well worth the effort. After the first boil you can transfer the beans to a crock pot and cook on high until done.