Regarding the animated gif thumbnails:

I wanted to ask the Woot staff (and my fellow artists) about this-- I saw a few of these gifs in the last couple of weeks, and I am a bit puzzled why they are being allowed.
For some of them, it’s a good/logical idea: like the Trick/Treat shirts in the Halloween derby, it shows detail and variety, especially if you are entering a his/hers or a dynamic-difference pair. But if you are not (e.g., the “Hell No Kitty”, [also from the Halloween derby] one single shirt that is easily visible in the thumbnail), it seems like false advertising. The shirt doesn’t look like that, at least not all the frames of the gif.
I saw a comment to that effect on a shirt (I don’t remember which) last week, and it got me thinking. The still image seems a lot less… distracting from the work itself.
Also, I am of the opinion (rightly or wrongly so, no offense meant to anyone whose work I mentioned!) that it can be an unfair advantage to grab someone’s attention with movement. I say let your art speak for itself! I’ve seen SPECTACULAR work out of many of the artists here, and none of them need motion to make me laugh aloud, gasp in awe, or press that button while grinning madly. I just wanted to discuss this with you guys and see what comes of it.
Thanks for looking.

1 Like

@Lady5tark is allowing it, but said if it “gets out of hand” she might ban it. I think that is how it was worded. I think the discussion was in the FB group, started by @acraigl
I am not sure how far they are willing to let it go, I am not sure if a bunch of people are trying it because it is allowed, or if it is a few designers with a bunch of designs.

But if the derby continues to look like the strip in Vegas, I can’t see it going on forever. I imagine that it will be allowed for a time, to see if it moderates on its own, or if it continues to grow.

1 Like

Ah! No FB. Sorry! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree 100%. They give me a headache and I am too lazy to figure out how to make them anyway.

1 Like

I hate 'em and won’t vote for one…

1 Like

Woot shirts will soon be printed with e-ink.

1 Like
  • batteries not included.
3 Likes

3 Likes