Regional Outdoor Cooking Terminology Flowchart

1 Like

Next step is the type of sauce or rub. Very regional, sometimes splitting states.

Blockquote

This was a design I have been revising for almost two years, and this themed derby was the motivation I needed to finally complete it.

I live squarely in the blue zone, and had no idea about the complexities of barbecue until a southern-transplant co-worker became upset after being invited to a “barbecue” only to be served burgers and dogs. She felt she had been lied to, and explained what barbecue meant to her. This set off my compulsive need-to-know and hours of reading, questioning, and polling of friends and family around the country. I also started a couple of more-serious-than-I-would-have-expected arguments between said friends and family.

In the last couple of years, I have collected quite a bit of information on regional sauces, rubs, and places where either would be considered an offense to the meat, but attempting to add that information to a national level flow chart would be far too complex to follow. Even this much-simplified meat-focused design was difficult to get the lines laid out in a way that would be easy read. I think a dedicated flowchart tool might be needed for anything more than this!

A state-level flowchart design could capture the sauce/rub/meat information in a pretty accurate way, but even within states they can be divided into 1-4 regions (highest in the sauce-loving states). I’m also afraid I might offend some barbecue-loving states that don’t really have their own “barbecue identity” instead borrowing the best from their neighboring states (I’m looking at you Louisiana).

This was a fun project (some of my research was very hands-on), and is likely the shirt design that has taken more time and effort than any other I have done. Glad to have completed it even if it doesn’t seem like it will make the cut in this derby!

1 Like

I love your design-- and so does my mom, who is majorly into flow-charts (Math-geek/math teacher). Thanks for putting in the effort to make it accurate!