Reininger's Helix Pomatia 4 - Pack

Cheekily, Cesare, I’ve found you missed two of your own links, to the June 09 offering, and to Yelp so here they are, with my brief comments:

Reininger on Yelp
Mmmmm, I love these reviews “all about earthy, smoky, mushroomy goodness” . EDIT I’ve actually included this also in my post with reviews below, as it’s a useful link, rather than split the info!

Previous Offers:
6/29/2009: Blog and Forum
although this latter link is for the white Aspersa, you included it last time as a previous link

:smiley:

I fell for the anecdotes too and had to click the stupidly large button. I did show restraint however by only ordering 1 four pack :slight_smile:

First you look smart for ordering, and then go and spoil it by admitting you only got one?

Last year’s was fantastic, in for 2!

Reininger’s Helix Pomatia 4 - Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 24.000s
Last wooter to woot: jkdaaa

OK, I lied. I didn’t sleep on it. In for just one, sadly, since money’s a bit tight. Le sigh.

You guys are terrible for me!

Just a mini background. I’m not a wine drinker, never have been. As a big Woot fan, I decided to get a family friend some wine for the holidays.

I started reading the forums to figure out a good wine to buy him. I got DEEPLY hooked - on the community, on the geekery, and the direct relationships with all the wineries.

Before I knew it, I was buying wine!! I have purchased 7 woots for myself so far… and I can’t even drink it yet! (being 9 months pregnant)

So all of you convinced me to buy Monday’s offer - and now you’re seriously tempting me with today’s!! GAH!

I had better like wine. :smiley:

Yum. Although I was confused as to quite how this wine would assist diagnosis of breast cancer.

Reviews below. I’ll read the previous years at my leisure, but I like going to see what’s out there anyway. May or may not have be some of these buried in previous forum threads.

Reininger on Yelp
Mmmmm, I love these reviews, eg: “all about earthy, smoky, mushroomy goodness”

Blog Review of 05 from a chap called O’Neill says “I got a mouthful of currant and plum, with nice hints of cocoa and earth. Nice tannins, Heavy bodied, would cost 4x as much if it were labeled Napa” (do see the rest of his review: seems a knowledgeable and well-thought-through review.)

Not quite so keen is the one reviewer on Snooth on the 06: " Modest berry and earth flavors. Only trouble was it finished a tad raisiny."

This guy called Eric commenting on Cork’d likes the 04, giving an 87: “A lovely red blend with softer tannins and a spicy finish. Vanilla, blackberry, and cassis morph into white pepper and mint finish.”

03s:
Blog Review on the 03 from Steve Sloan, presumably not an LAPD homicide detective: “very mellow and pleasant wine wine with soft and rich mouth feel” and long finish.

Ken likes the 03 but seems to think it’s an easy drink: “… opens with a bouquet the expresses a touch of cedar and some clove aromas. On the palate, the wine is juicy and full of flavor… round and very easy to drink. You could really quaff this. The finish is pleasant, a touch dry, but relatively short…”

[bold]EDIT RE the 03[/bold]
I suspect later years including 06 are heavier and longer, from what all the other reviews seem to say. Indeed Corrado in this thread says the 03 was 50% Cab, unlike later years, which will account for its being different. So I’ve pushed these down to the bottom.

On a completely different note, I’ve found a video! Helix Pomatia in sexy embrace

Be sure your boss doesn’t catch you watching this filth.

If the winery pops in, I got a question. Last year’s blend was 53% CS, 31% Merlot, 8% CF, & 8% Syrah. This year the CS % is down while the Syrah and CF are up (especially the Syrah - now 25%). What was the thinking behind this year’s blend percentages? Are you trying to have a consistent taste profile from year to year, or are you just taking what the grape gods are dictating to you?

Not to steal the winemakers thunder, but here’s what they said last July about the '05 Pomatia

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3301932

Seems like a good deal! The winery website lists this vintage at over $20 per bottle, so quite a savings to get four for only $55…Washington wines are usually a great value so I’m giving it a try!

I dunno, I loved most of the Reininger stuff, but was not a big fan of the '04 Pomatia. I’m hesitant to order this based on that.

DOH. No shipping to Vermont and I was ready to buy, buy, buy!

[How good is this deal?](http://bit.ly/aNS4Ir" title="How good is this deal?)

Mmmm … Pomatia! Seriously tempting a suspension of the SIWBM. And the discount on this one is almost as good as I remember the last bottles of this tasting!

Click the link above for full discount details, CT links, and more.

My notes are not as positive, suggesting an over-extracted citrus in the wine, together with a flabby mouth feel. If there were rats for wed offerings, I’d be willing to listen…

Wow tried to order this and found out Wisconsin is on the no ship list. Can anyone give me any info why. I’ve ordered this wine and all the others before with no problem. Wisconsin has ALWAYS been a shippable state. Thanks

Depends on the license for the winery. I’m in for one, well the gf is in for one…

In for 2. I loved the 3 pack plus one last year. I loved it so much that I had ordered some of the 05 online.

I’m drooling already.

Unfortunately, not ALWAYS. I know I’ve seen at least one other offer that didn’t allow Wisconsin. Unless liquor laws here have changed since I looked into it then, the deal is basically that the specific winery must have purchased a permit to ship here. I’m pretty sure this winery has a distributor in the state because I think I’ve noticed Helix (though not sure if it was the Pomatia) at Woodman’s here in Madison, so it may not have been worth it to them to have a direct shipping permit as well. I’m also pretty sure Wisconsin law before some time in 2008 was some kind of reciprocal thing, so it could also be that this winery was ok under the old law but not the new one despite the fact that it’s generally more permissive.

Gah. I’m seriously torn. I’m pretty new to this wine wooting, and I’ve been in on the last two offerings. Now this comes along and everyone seems to be going crazy over it, which makes me think I should perhaps go for this one as well. As a poor starving grad student, I’m not sure if I should give into this temptation. Damn you, woot!