Research

The more you censor or argue with people the more entrenched they become. Plus, they want the attention. Casual shaming does work and that’s why I made the shirt.

3 Likes

last word

7 Likes

I think that’s a bit of a stretch comparison…

3 Likes

I don’t complain about vaccines, but also I can’t do common core math…why’d they have to change it? What was wrong with old math?!?

5 Likes

False, if it’s funny, clever and appeals to at least some of the Woot audience there’s no reason for it to be disqualified. I mean we don’t need just “Ant-vaxx” on a shirt…you can get those on Amazon… but I dunno mash it up, make it clever…would consider it.

3 Likes

wouldn’t the skull be buried underground tho? or is a skeleton visiting the grave and its head fell off and landed perfectly next to the tombstone?

6 Likes

@davejlives responded so now you know this is is thing.

7 Likes

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE DESIGN OF THIS SHIRT, THE SKULL IS CONFUSING TO ME. WHERE IS THE MANAGER

12 Likes

In case anyone was wondering what my political stance is, I have excellent 5g.

8 Likes

ALSO I AM INCENSED ABOUT SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IS THIS WHERE I CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT IT?

10 Likes

It is probably a shallow grave in Louisiana.

6 Likes

is it me?

4 Likes

FIRST OF ALL, WHY CAN’T PEOPLE REPLACE THEIR GROCERY CARTS. WHAT’S WRONG WITH A LITTLE EXTRA EFFORT

10 Likes

Well, at least they put up a big damn disclaimer at the top acknowledging that a large number of people will find this insulting.

But yeah, imagine telling Edison to not do his own research. Or van Leeuwenhoek. Mendel. Rutherford.

When you say “don’t do your own research”, what you’re really saying is “don’t trust single-information sources without considering the validity of other sources that make opposing claims”, which is actually good advice. Unless you’re saying “trust these guys but not those guys”, which is just as suspect as when somebody else says “trust those guys but not these guys”.

“Trust the experts” seems to be popular, but 1) experts are not always impartial, and are in fact frequently beholden to whoever’s funding them, 2) on certain topics there are usually experts saying the opposite thing if you go looking, not everything is as “settled science” as the claims would have you believe, and 3) science has a long history of the prevailing expert beliefs being proven wrong by subsequent real-world data.

Science actually has a huge foundation of findings being double checked by others attempting to replicate the results, i.e. their “own research”. Even in physics, sometimes things turn out to be anomalies created by the equipment used, and not actual discoveries. Consistency in fields were experiments cannot be perfectly controlled, e.g. anything medical, health, or psychological, are even more subject to duplicate studies reaching different conclusions.

5 Likes

@Williamdavi It’s pillowtalk time.

5 Likes

ALSO WHAT THE HELL WITH MERGING INTO TRAFFIC. YOU’RE NOT GONNA GET THERE ANY FASTER BY GETTING AHEAD BY ONE CAR.

6 Likes

Um, aren’t you the manager?

3 Likes

They’ve been “changing” math teaching long before Common Core. Here’s the great Tom Lehrer’s take on “New Math” from 1965.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is this design is totally up to your own interpretation and could be referring to many scenarios where people do their own research?

6 Likes

CAN YOU PLEASE HAVE YOUR COFFEE ORDER READY WHEN YOU GET TO THE SPEAKER BOX. YOU’VE HAD LOTS OF TIME TO THINK ABOUT IT ALREADY

5 Likes