RetroConsole w/ 600 Games, 2 Controllers

Going to flag this message. Dirty word “ergonomic.” Just doesn’t rhyme with Made in China.

Hey guys, this is NOT a Nintendo system… it’s an off brand gaming system. No need to get your second-hand plumber overalls in a bunch.

5 Likes

I particularly enjoy the product listing name.

1 Like

This is so bad it’s laughable! DMMI ports!

Woot is selling illegal rip off products now? Nice.

4 Likes

Nope.

It’s listed as

Totally Legal Non-Nintendo Off-Brand Retro Gaming System That May or May Not Be Worth The Hassle (600 Games and Two Controllers, come on!)”. :laughing:

3 Likes

Agree with all of the other comments. I purchased this and it was in the garbage the same day.

2 Likes

@jordnta

You have something to add about the name? :wink:

1 Like

So honestly I’m like many of you. I bought the legit OG NES Classic when it first came out. Super fun. I also bought the SNES legit too, and the PS version for better or for worse, and I have an indiegogo for the Atari VCS. So my gut reaction to this knockoff is visceral.

But then I reminisce about my childhood. I grew up somewhat less “of means”, single teacher mother with 4 kids and all that. All my friends had the C64, the Amiga, the NES, SNES, the N64. My mother couldn’t afford such extravagance if we were to eat and stuff. So she bought the cheap knockoff Game&Watches, the cheap game consoles, etc. We knew it wasn’t legit. She did too. But she could try and inject a little fun into our pre-pubescent, wannabe gamer lives. Yeah these things are not as good as the OG, and for many Woot customers who can afford the real thing they are an affront. But they sell well even though we pretty much lambast it in our description to make it painfully clear that this is in no way comparable to the legit version. We let y’all say whatever in these forums about it as well so customers can do this informed. I’d like to think at least some of the folks buying are like my mother, just trying to get something fun enough that’s affordable.

12 Likes

I’ve bought a few things like this for my kids, but the truth is unless it’s Minecraft or youtube videos about Minecraft they have zero interest.

Might want to scroll through shirt.woot.com :wink:

1 Like

:open_mouth: Woot employees feel emotions?

4 Likes

Some of them do. Just not me. I’m a CTO. Emotions are not logical.

But if you’re looking for a cuddle party, @manlapig is your guy. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I guess disgust is an emotion.

2 Likes

But @gottaturnupthesound is the one who drew a penguin for me.

1 Like

He’s a sucker for the under-penguin.

1 Like

I’ll take any support I can get.

No $#!+. That’s why this is illegal. It’s a blatant overflowing steaming pile of trademark violation, both in hardware design and the games.

No one is pretending they think this is Nintendo-official/branded, and we know they aren’t flat-out pirated ROMs. But it’s still 100% trademark violation, which is also against the law and will get Woot in big trouble. And rightfully so.

I cannot believe you guys are so blasé and cavalier about this stuff. Is your legal dept just bored or something?

You’re open to reporting this to Nintendo I suppose.

The link can be found in the thread from November 2018:

There was also somebody who wanted to make some calls to Japan to get a Cease & Desist order issued, though I don’t think anything came of that.

Which is a shame, honestly, as I was looking to be entertained with a legal issue.

4 Likes

Hard Yikes…

2 Likes