Ricoh Aficio SP C220N Color Laser Printer

I dont care what anyone says:
this is a steal! Ive seen crappy inkjet printers go up to this price… and this is by far the cheapest Ive found!
in for one!
PS: Ricoh is a good brand… I like their products =)

Well you’re fine if all you print is rainbows and color gradients. Who would want to print anything else, really.

Hello.

Some things you should know about this printer…

First, it is a host-based (a.k.a. GDI) printer. Host-based printers do not contain internal hardware print controllers to assemble page output content and instead use your computer to do the processing. This is the reason these types of printers require a compatible operating system to run the printer software to assemble the pages and then send the rendered output to the printer.

The main problem with host-based printers is that printer performance is heavily dependent upon the speed of the host computer. Printing with a host-based printer slows down a computer since the printer compilation software consumes CPU resources to assemble print jobs.

For those of whom remember Winmodems, the concept for host-based printers is identical.

[Click here to view the data sheet on this printer showing its controller to be GDI (host-based] at the bottom of page four](http://www.ricoh-usa.com/products/brochures/spc222dn.pdf).

Click here to learn more about GDI printer technology.

Second, this printer ships with reduced-capacity toner cartridges. Always remember to read the fine print. Here’s what the fine print says about this printer:

“The SP C220N, SP C221N and SP C222DN ship with starter All-in-One
Cartridges that yield 1,000 pages. All other consumables ship at full yield.
All-in-One Cartridge yields based on 5% coverage and 24 pages per job.”

Click here to view the data sheet on this printer showing the above fine print on page four at the end of the specifications.

Needless to say, I’m taking a pass on this Woot!.

Thank you for reading.

Lisa

I just need something to pring black and white for my business. Is this too much printer for that? Should I just stick with something cheaper and less complex?

Good information, but strange conclusion … we’re talking $179 for a color laser from a well-known imaging machine company … so I have to wait for my PC to process the job and send it to the printer … and I’m only getting about $150 worth of toner cartrdiges (50% of new prices mentioned elsewhere above) with my $179 printer … that doesn’t really break my heart …

In fact, I’m having trouble seeing the down side of buying two and getting a spare printer for $29 (after subtracting out the value of the starter cartridges) … can anybody tell me where my math error is?

Woot’s product description doesn’t match Ricoh’s specs for this printer! The images and text are a much closer match with the C222DN type printer listed at Amazon… I feel so conflicted.

Unfortunately, unless somebody clarifies, i’m going to go by the model number listed, the C220N. It doesn’t actually support PostScript so I’ll be avoiding this one.

Can someone confirm that the ink won’t evaporate with a laser printer like it does with the ink jet printers?

I’ve only owned ink jets in the past and we rarely use it, but occasionally my kids will need something printed in color for school. And every time they have to print something I have to buy cartridges because it’s been 6 or 8 months since the last time anything was printed and all the ink is evaporated!

So, can I let a laser jet sit for months between printings and expect that there will still be ink available?

Ricoh’s site says this printer does not support PostScript, yet the description for this one does? Ricoh says the printer is DDST, or am I misunderstanding something?

Correct me if I am wrong anybody but laser toner is actually a powder inside the cartridge so it shouldn’t dry up like ink jets seem to. I have the same problem with my brother all in one. So to answer your question no it shouldn’t…but I would print something off every once in a while anyways don’t want to find out something is mucked up while you are trying to print the discounted tickets you bought online for the water park but the printer won’t work so you have to go to kinko’s and then you accidentally print them in color so you pay 2 dollars per sheet which wipes out half the online discount. lol…that was a bad day

First, this printer uses toner cartridges not ink. Although, when it is time for some new toner cartridges it can feel like the money in your wallet is evaporating. I can assure you that the toner in this printer will not evaporate unless the principles of Physics changed since my last Physics class. For those of you that do not know, solids do not evaporate. Just throwing that out there…

Haha yeah. Ricoh’s only a 12 Billion dollar company.

Yes, this is actually why I bought a B&W laser printer several years ago. I’ve yet to buy new toner, so it was more cost effective than having to buy new ink every few months b/c it dried up. I think I’ll be getting this one; it will take years before I print 1000 pages.

actually some do (although the correct term is “sublimation” when a solid transforms directly to a gas), but I doubt that color toner is one of them … I have to buy a new cartridge for my B&W laser about every 5 years … I still have an inkjet for the occasional color print, but this unit is a real inkjet killer … if they could always sell these at this price, it would be inkjet printers, not just the ink, that would be evaporating from the face of the earth … if only my wife had not banned me from wooting while we’re re-landscaping the yard …

You are right, it does not support Postscript, it uses dynamic data stream technology.

To cancel orders, you can email service@woot.com

I apologize for the confusion

Seems like a good deal, so I just picked up three for use at work. My workplace has probably a hundred Ricoh Aficio Multifunction copiers and they are extremely reliable. For $180 each if these printers are just one quarter as reliable as my Aficio 3025 this will be a positive purchase.

RICOH SUAVE’

Well, I bought one - almost bought two. Mainly I needed a new small laser for one of my systems, and I was also looking for a color laser at some point - this was cheaper than either from anywhere else.

1. No post script is a drag, but okay - we’ll see how the image looks. Not a deal breaker at this price (honestly, you expect PS for 179???)

2. I don’t care that it’s host controlled - it’s being used with a 8-core Mac Pro, so there is enough speed to run this printer, plus play a 3D shoot em up, render video in the BG, run two instances of Windoze as virtual machines and STILL do the dishes.

3. I don’t care about the reduced yield cartridges - I refil using bulk toner anyway.

4. Pretty good Woot if you ask me.

What happened to having cheap crap? Why the expensive crap?

I’ve been looking for a cheap laserjet for use at home - word processing with office spreadsheets and such. This looks to fit my bill, with the frequency that I use a printer, this will work fine. I can get toner refills from work (black will be the most frequent refill anyway). If it works well, I may take it into work to replace my ailing HP laserjet 6l, lol.

I purchased one for the house, thinking I would just network it from a windows box, but some digging around indicates that it is indeed compatible with the latest Mac OS X, 10.5 as there are drivers for such on Ricoh’s website, just thought I’d pass that along for any Apple users on the fence.

http://www.ricoh-usa.com/downloads/downloads.asp?tsn=Ricoh-USA&path=http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/dr_ut_e/rc2/model/spc220/spc220en.htm