Ring Solar Panel (White)

Ring Solar Panel (White)

I ordered one of these almost a month ago along with a stick up cam,

and when it came I thought I had messed up because the box said for spotlight cam only, so I don’t know if I got the wrong item, or if it just says that but you can use it for the stick up cam.

1 Like

If you review some of the previous forums on this, it’s good for both.

3 Likes

I got 3 of these last time Woot! offered them, all 3 are up and fully operational. Wish I had not paid full price for the first one I bought, as these all work every bit as well.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear all this. I just ordered the panel and stick up battery cam. Between my front doorbell and back spotlight, I’m covered when I put this on the side of the house.

1 Like

Seems like it will not work with the spotlight cam for sale today, says it’s hardwired to an outlet box

[MOD: correct. We are not selling the spotlight cam today.]

aww man. bought this on amazon renewed for $35ish. works great with the stick up cam battery i got last round. charges my cam to 100% great deal.

Morning folks. Per Ring, this works with the Stick Up Cam Battery.

2 Likes

Does this work with the Ring doorbell?

It’s not listed as supported on the Ring site.

1 Like

What’s the output plug on this? Is it something standard like micro-usb B? If so, what’s the output (assuming full sun)?

What I’m really asking is if this is useful for anything else beyond just a Ring camera. I’d like to think this has some useful application that will outlast the camera. That is, that this isn’t a single purpose item.

Here’s the Ring page. It’s got more info on it.

1 Like

I figured that might be the case

1 Like

This is what the plug looks like on mine.

3 Likes

The Ring Doorbell has its own solar charger due to the size. It fits around the doorbell.

The rating is 2W at 5V which (calculated at 400ma) would put it close to a typical USB peripheral port (500ma) depending on directness and coverage of the sunlight. I found an adapter cable from an amazon seller to convert it to micro-USB and am using it with my older stick-up cam (not an officially supported solution, just to be clear).

1 Like

Anyone use one of these (with previous mentioned micro USB adapter) with a eufy cam? They are about 1/3 of what the eufy panels are currently selling for…

1 Like

I also want to know about the USB adapter and eufy cam. The power ratings are correct, just wonder about the adapter

This solar panel works on both Stickup Cam and Spotlight Cam, the difference is Spotlight Cam intends you to use the version of the plug that has tabs on the sides and screws that hold it securely. This panel just has a round plug that snaps in. I’m not sure why a snap in plug is ok for stickup cam but not Spotlight Cam, but they want you to use the plug with tabs that secure for spotlight cam. In any case, this panel will connect to both products and works well, perhaps in extreme weather conditions the seal is not sufficient? For my location, my battery on Spotlight cam is always 100% with this panel, receiving direct sunlight about 5 hours a day and indirect light all day. They do have the larger panel to charge with less light or in winter conditions. Spotlight Cam does use more power.

1 Like

Ok, so I went ahead and purchased the ring panel to test with my eufycam 2 pro.

I wasn’t able to find one adapter that did the conversion on the mothership (that didn’t ship from overseas) so I went ahead and purchased 2 seperate adapters till I could get the one (cheaper) from eBay.

The adapter needed is a 3.5mm x 1.35mm barrel type to microusb. As mentioned, I could only find a 5.5mm x 2.1mm to microusb on the mother ship, so I had to bridge that using 3.5mm x 1.35mm to 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel adapter. They are all listed under “DC power adapter”. Putting them together looks a little wonky, but I was able to at least test the setup.

[Maybe I suck at googling, but for some reason the exact sizes were difficult for me to find, and that alone made me want to post the results for future reference.]

Initial setup suggests it works, however, my camera is currently fully charged so it doesn’t need to do much. I will report back later this week to see if it putting out enough power to be useful.

As a side note, it seems like it has been raining forever, and we finally have a few sunny days. I have a eufy panel on a regular eufycam 2 and it has drained down to 67% from 100% over the rainy period. It still indicates it is charging, but we will see how long (and if) it takes to get back to full power. I guess it really doesn’t matter as long as it at least stays at current levels, but it would be nice to know (that either panel) can put out enough juice to make up for lost battery during the rainy seasons.