Ring Video Doorbell 2

Ring Video Doorbell 2

1 Like

I bought one of these last time they came around and I am really happy with it. When I opened the box the doorbell was in brand new looking Ring Packaging and everything inside looked brand new. My biggest problem is that the motion detection is kind of spotty.

5 Likes

Sort of in for 1 but not sure if I can pull the trigger. Perhaps I’ll research some and if I miss it BF is around the corner.

2 Likes

Does this model have motion detection? the specs comparison doesn’t have a check mark.

1 Like

It does have motion detection. The check mark is for “advanced motion detection”, which is what the Ring Pro, and Ring Elite doorbells have. The motion detection on these units is ok, it’s all about placement.

2 Likes

My experience was just like yours. The UPS guy runs so fast that sometimes my Ring doesn’t notice him.

I chose the 2 over the Pro because I read that the Pro has a non-replaceable battery. I thought I might have to buy a spare battery for the 2 but the battery charge has shown “full” since day 1. I have it hooked up to the old transformer and chime and all works well.

1 Like

Yep yep. Got one too. And my guy/gal, it delivers! Threw in a few chyme’s too. I’d get on this for family/friends but I’m a stingy prick!
That being said, I wish the battery lasted a bit longer. As you can see, I’m in critical. But then again, I love checking out the cute bodacious new neighbor next door on the Live View.
But 5 Stars though.

And don’t tell my wife :confused:

1 Like

These are good so far since I got em last time around.
Fantastic even if coupled with the subscription(v. Affordable imo).
Go for it, though bf likely got better deals.

Anyone have one of these? How long is the battery lasting?

So I don’t own a smartphone. Is one required or can you access this through desktop/laptop?

Beware! I bought one a few months ago from Woot and the doorbell died. Even thought I signed up with Ring for their doorbell recording plan to cover three units and extend warranties they would NOT cover any doorbell purchased through Woot since they are not an authorized dealer. Lesson learned. The $49.99 Ring Doorbell ended up costing me $100. At least Ring gave me a $50 coupon to buy one from their website direct. Lesson learned. :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Very strange that woot isn’t an authorized seller.

Amazon owns Ring and woot.

Might be a reason not to purchase used.

2 Likes

do you have to subscribe to the monthly fee to actually use the Ring door bell?

I think it is dependent on how many alerts you get and how often you use the Live View. I am going on six weeks now for my first charge since buying and installing the doorbell. I still have plenty of juice left, but bought a spare battery for a quick swap when the first one is low.

I am happy with the Ring Doorbell 2 I purchased for this price about two months ago. It was fairly easy to install and works well. My only problem, as others have mentioned, is with setting up the zones for detecting motion. It is difficult to set them so you can detect motion of people walking to your door while stopping the alerts for every vehicle which drives by your house and setting off an alert.

I was not as happy with the Ring Chimes which I also bought - sometimes they simply don’t work or the volume is allover the place.

1 Like

I set mine up to work with my smartphone, but also my iPad, laptop and Echo Show. Of course the more devices you add, the more alerts you will have going off when there is a doorbell ring or motion alert. But, no, you don’t have to have a smartphone to use the Ring app. Not sure about desktop though - maybe it depends on if the desktop is on the same wifi network as the doorbell? Just guessing on that.

1 Like

I got one year free subscription, but then purchased a subscription that will kick in when my one year is up. I am not sure what you get free with this purchase - mine was from the Amazon Warehouse sale several months ago.

That’s a shame. I was not aware amazon didn’t cover woot, despite it o so obnoxiously calling itself an amazon company.
Nothing to report on mine so far, but now I’m keeping a closer eye.
Thanks.

Maybe you can catch that guy that keeps leaving out of date electronics on your front porch?

If you do not subscribe, it will not save any videos for you. You will only have live view. So yes, I would say a subscription is a must.