Ring Video Doorbells

Ring Video Doorbells

1 Like

“Secret Agreement Required Police to Promote Amazon’s Ring Doorbell Cameras”

5 Likes

“Doorbell cams raise privacy fears and concerns about bias.” “Critics also say Ring, a subsidiary of Amazon, appears to be marketing its cameras by stirring up fear of crime at a time when it’s decreasing.” “But as more police agencies join with the company known as Ring, the partnerships are raising privacy concerns. Critics complain that the systems turn neighborhoods into places of constant surveillance and create suspicion that falls heavier on minorities.”

4 Likes

Does anyone know if these will be able to be under warranty from Ring? Amazon.com is listed by Ring as an online seller. But does Woot fall under that? Also, these are described as straight up “used”.

Seems pretty iffy to me that these would be covered by anything other than the 90 day Woot warranty.

Since the doorbell is an Amazon product (Ring is an Amazon company), Woot is part of Amazon, and Woot says it comes with a limited 90 day warranty, I would suspect the warranty is limited to 90-days only.

Erma gurd der sky is furling. There have many documented instances where this tech has been used to help apprehend criminals. 0 instances that I know of about someone being falsely imprisoned because of “bias” as a result of this tech. Amazon prompted the proliferation of the porch pirate, this is one of the few things to act as a deterrent. Generically crime may be down, theft of packages are up.

15 Likes

I don’t know why people focus so much about whether or not it helps crime. I buy these because I’m lazy and hate solicitors, so I can just quickly see whether or not I should ignore the doorbell.

14 Likes

the neighborhood association close to me has a lot of these and they have been used to catch some young adult who were getting into cars at night.

do these require a subscription service or just an app download?

2 Likes

Just to clarify, I was wondering if the warranty from Ring that you would get if you carried a subscription would apply. Here is the link to Ring’s warranty info, but it’s not clear to me if these would be allowed - https://shop.ring.com/pages/warranty

Does the Ring VD 2 come with the extra rechargeable battery?

Morning. These come with a 90-day woot warranty only.

“suspicion that falls heavier on minorities” is absolute nonsense with zero evidence.

9 Likes

It says these are weather resistant to extreme temperatures. But the obvious question is are they water-proof? I would assume yes…just wish it said so.

Thanks for your quick reply. Can you pls tell me if they are returnable? For any reason? Obviously not used and within the 14 day time frame…if I were to decide I did not like the way it looked? Since it’s used I don’t mind a Knick here or there but if it’s more then acceptable may I return with no issues?? TIA

Apparently not that “secret”.

1 Like

A subscription is not required to use the device, just the app. However, if you want cloud storage to record videos from the doorbell, then you have to opt into a plan:

https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans

The basic plan is $3/month or $30 a year, and it allows you access to up to 60 days of videos recorded from the device. Any you find that you want to keep, you can download to your phone.

1 Like

Hi. Here’s our return policy:

https://www.woot.com/faq?ref=w_ft_bs_rp#what-is-woots-return-policy

A question about video:
I have cameras on both doors now that I can log in to at any time and view, can I do the same with the ring doorbell or do I have to wait until it is activated in some way (motion or touch)?

Being classified as one of those minorities, I will say it is NOT the device it is the person who owns the ring. Ring doesn’t do anything but show a video of who was at the door. If the person has any bias against minorities, then that is where there is a problem. I am getting one of these and I am going to use it to see who is at the door. I will most likely like the fact that I can see if I get any porch pirates. That is it. No matter who is doing it.

15 Likes

With as many problems that the factory new units have and are returned, one can see why so many are on Woot used.

Nope
Pass