Ring Video Doorbells

“This warranty is not transferable and applies only to the original consumer purchaser.”

These are used items, so no, Ring would not warranty them.

I used to own these and they were trash, and the customer support was garbage. Mine stopped working right in like 9 months, and even being purportedly under warranty it took me two weeks to get them to accept a return, and another 5 to actually get my refund.

I would not recommend these.

1 Like

I see videos of porch pirates weekly on my local Nextdoor app. Like others have said, Ring gave a discount to our local neighborhood association. I don’t have one but I appreciate the concept.
(I have a couple cheap IP cameras off Amazon and I have recorded 1 porch pirate (arrested) and 1 instance (2 guys) rifling through cars. Couple years ago our local law enforcement was blown away by the video quality compared to the “usual grainy gas station video” they’re used to. Now it’s less novel as everything is 1080p these days.
If you live in a city, it’s worth having something passive watching your stuff.
That said, I don’t trust these to watch inside my house. Alexa listening is one thing. A camera routed through someone’s servers is another.

1 Like

If you’re not doing anything wrong you shouldn’t worry so much, citizen.

2 Likes

I have one of these and yes, you can log into it and view your camera at any time.

Not so much doing something wrong as much as something like going for kid #2.

1 Like

My experience when I purchased mine last year was pretty positive. I had issues getting it connected to my wifi but it turned out that my router/modem was chugging at an abysmal speed and would not allow the device to function. I called my IP and got a new router/modem, changed out some bad cables and sped up my Internet. That was all diagnosed by Ring over the phone (2 calls about an hour each). Once my internal was functioning well, the doorbell has been great. I can even tell Alexa to show video to my FireTV and watch from the comfort of my recliner!

I hope no one else experiences what you did. I can definitely understand your frustration.

2 Likes

I just bought one of these RVD2’s based on my experience with my Prime Day Blink X2 camera pack. The Blinks are dead-drop easy to set up and use. I hope Ring has ironed out any firmware issues.

Do you like your blink? I want something to watch my backyard but I don’t have any good window to set a camera in nor do I wish to run wires.

I do. I bought the Blink X2 cameras. Nice, clear video. I’ve been playing around with them in different locations. Just now I was waiting for some packages and had one out front. I was using the live video feed and noticed the yard guy going by on his mower. He did blink out and reappear once. But not too terribly bad.

It is unfortunate that one can’t record and watch the live feed at the same time…but at the low price point I figured for my use they’ll be fine. I live in a quiet condo complex but I’d like to be able to see what’s going on outside when I hear unfamiliar noises.

They’re powered by 2 AA Energizer Lithium batteries (included) and you need the one base unit plugged in. Right now I have the base unit in my office and the cameras spread about with no issues.

One other little quirk is that it won’t scroll through the camera feeds automatically. Well, it might but I haven’t found that option on the app yet.

As long as your camera can get your wifi signal you should be good to go.

If I wire it into an existing doorbell, I assume the external power keeps the battery charged up and I never have to take it down for recharging?

Can it be wired in parallel with an existing doorbell (non-electronic, just a solenoid & chimes) so that they both work?

On your front porch? FUN!

1 Like

My question also. I’ve got two little wires coming out my front door. Is that enough to power it?

If you DON’T have an existing doorbell, is your smartphone the only way you hear someone ring? E.g., my wife doesn’t have (nor wants) a smartphone, so if I’m gone, is it useless to her?

It has a pretty loud chime built in & uses the door itself to radiat the sound. not sure how it will sound mounted to an exterior wall. You can also buy an external chime to plug it to any room in the house (although mine stop working after time)

Does anyone who lives in a cold winter climate have one of these? Specs said good to -5° F. Where I live, the temps drop lower than that on occasion. Does it render it completely unusable if it’s exposed to those temps, or just temporarily not ring, not video, not sense motion? What?

Tap your ‘Home’ site on top in the app. It’ll give you an option to ‘Save all XT2 Live Views’

1 Like

To brad and resney.

Yes the house doorbell wires will work. There is a transformer that feeds the doorbell. Those wires will charge the ring and also operate the doorbell once the ring is connected.

2 Likes

If a camera catches someone unauthorized on your porch or at your car messing with stuff, so be it. That’s how it works. Why bring that in?

Oh, hey, lookie there! Thanks Steve (b944)!

1 Like