Rio Carbon 5GB MP3 Player w/Zcyber i3 Portable Speakers

Boo on the MP3 player. Already have one. But I loved the wootcast about the Wine site. :slight_smile:

Although this player might look like nothing special, it is great because you can rip out the 5GB Microdrive (which is worth more than the player itself) and use it with most CF devices that support microdrives (Cameras, PDA’s etc.)

Here are the instructions: http://www.greghughes.net/rant/PermaLink,guid,e9bdfa3f-da94-4c6e-a2f9-5ff3260040f1.aspx

THIS IS AMAZING SO CHEAP FOR 5GB

I’m sorry but those speakers are pitiful. What’s the out put power?
A mere 2 watts. I’m pretty sure the speaker out of a McDonalds toy has more power than that.

5GB…

Have to say I wouldn’t want anything that small. I am amazed at how much music I can find that I want to listen to.

Plus, the bigger ones are great for sneaking lots files out of the office. If I ever got canned, every bit of key data would go with me.

Scary Personals

WOW! Look at that frequency response!

No bass whatsoever!!

I bought those speakers during the last wootoff and I love them.

They are compatible w/ iPod. They just plug into the headphone jack.

Would like to woot but 5GB is not enough.

I have to agree. Got them during a woot-off for $5 a set, and they did not disappoint. I love them, Ma loves them, and Mrs. Apeman loves them. Very handy, and easier than carrying a boombox or similar item. Yes they work with an iPod, work with ANY mp3 player with a headphone jack. Not so sure on the Rio though.

i bought one of these at the last wootoff (minus the speakers, of course), refurb and all. i would have to say overall that i am happy with this product. the transfer of music is very smooth, the software easy to navigate, the player easy to figure out, and best of all, the earbuds are kickass. i threw away my other earbuds after receiving this item. the battery also lasts forEVER, which is very nice. i would very much recommend this item. the only problem i’ve had is that occasionally it will restart itself in the middle of a playlist (which for me is just shuffle mode), so aside from that, good product. oh, the case is useless, unless you modify it like i did (cut a hole in the front for the screen, and in the bottom for the controls).

I bought this during the last woot off. It is a great player, but the battery only lasts for two hours max. Just charged it for 12 hrs and the battery was dead in an hour and a half. Too bad because I love it otherwise. I just want my supposed 20 hour playback time. Beware of the refurb!!

I have both these items and love them! I have the “pearl” rio carbon and it works great with these speakers. Its almost like they were made for each other they fit so well! Pretty good price too.

I have a carbon and I’m impressed with it overall. My only complaint is that it doesn’t get as loud as I would like. I don’t remember it being this way when it was new over a year ago, but now I have to turn it up to like 25 out of 30 to drown out conversations on the airplane. Going from 25 to 30 doesn’t really make any difference.

Otherwise it’s a great player with nice controls and easy-to-use menus. The batteries last a good long time as well. THis is a nice price on a nice unit.

I have the Z-cyber i3 speakers, I think they were on the last woot off. People said they sucked horribly but they aren’t too bad with my ipod. I’ll put it in the bathroom when I shower or in my room when I don’t feel like plugging it into my computer speakers.

Don’t have any clue about the Rio Carbon 5gb mp3 player.

>refurb

for many products, refurb stuff is usually more reliable than new.

most equipment doesn’t go thru a quality control check before it’s shipped: when something gets refurbed, it typically will be completely checked out to make sure everything’s working.

I think the 5 gig mp3 player is included with the 1 watt speakers.

I think everyone should quote Yankee’s spam post so that it’ s repeated 150 times on woot.

Also wootcast is about wine.woot.com and smelly boots and stuff

mmmhhhh… honestly… is this really worth it? seriously?? anybody?? tnx…

The writeup for this woot is fantastic. Good job!

Rios are fantastic players; I loved my Karma. And I love my cheapass i3 speakers from Woot. They were totally worth the $7 or whatever I paid for them.

Nice observation. They are battery powered tiny portable speakers. What were you expecting? A spoiler, fender, other car rattling bass powerhouse?

If I did not have a few MP3 players, I might be tempted, but refurb puts me off, and one hundred dollars buys all kinds of other things, remember? There are two guys I work with who should be buying this, but not me.