Road rage!

From my conversations in the radar detector thread, I realized that other drivers piss off everyone else here as much as they do I. Thus, the idea for a topic about the above subject as a way to vent our frustration came to me.

Well, that’s it. Get to venting!

Guess nobody wants to vent. Sorry herrsmith.

I’ll join the fun. I’m a pretty pokey driver, leave early, do the speed limit, listen to NPR. I can’t stand to be tailgated, it’s the worst form of bullying, I always imagine that those are the folks who picked on the little kids in the schoolyard and kick their pets. And what really amazes me is the risks they’ll take to get around me, passing where they can’t see around a curve or on a hill. Then I get to the next traffic light and there they are, waiting for me! I have learned some new sign language through the rear view mirror; I get a kick out of seeing the veins sticking out on their forehead.

I think every time you get your license renewed you ought to be instructed about what that little stick is for that’s on the side of the steering column. I can’t figure out why it seems to be so taxing that people can’t shove it up to turn right and shove it down to turn left. They’ve even made them so you don’t have to put them back in place. But noooooooooo, can’t do that. Although there are some people that do it halfway through their turn. I think that makes them half as*ed.

What’s that thing called again?

Amen to that! I’ve been making the joke that the cars are so expensive nowadays they’re making turn signals optional and people aren’t ordering them. What am I a freakin’ mind reader? I’m also seeing more and more people running red lights; not caution lights, red lights, seconds after they’ve turned red. They obviously didn’t learn to drive with Coach Bomar. He’d have stomped on the brake pedal he had over on the passenger side in a flash. And we didn’t have seat belts back then, try to run a and you risked bashing your nose on the steering wheel when he hit that brake pedal.

hah, if you try to use a blinker in the Atl to indicate a lane change, people will actually speed up so you can’t get over. you have to just go for it…

[quote user=“cazzers”]

hah, if you try to use a blinker in the Atl to indicate a lane change, people will actually speed up so you can’t get over. you have to just go for it…[/quote]

I believe that, I had to spent 3 days in Roswell for some training. It was a nightmare finding the training venue from the hotel. After that harrowing experience every day I found a restaurant on the same side of the street within walking distance of my hotel and ate there 3 times just to avoid driving. And that’s a suburb, I’ve driven through Atlanta on the way to Florida, it’s just a matter of keeping up with the flow and getting through. I end up with sore hands from gripping the steering wheel in fear!

There are SO many… but a few annoyances of mine:

• Don’t friggin use left turn lanes as merging lanes. If it’s that bad, turn right.

• Along with that, you don’t absolutely have to turn left. It’s usually possible to turn right and go around the block to a light or something. But when turning left, don’t block the right side of the exit and don’t pull up so far that someone turning right can’t see the traffic.

• Merge onto the highway at highway speeds and watch the traffic. While most people are polite and will, the highway traffic does not have to move to let you in.

• Turn signals, as mentioned. It’s not tough.

• Be courteous when pulling out on a road. If you’re a slower driver, don’t pull out 200ft. in front of someone when there’s no one for a mile behind them.

• Along what the above, don’t tailgate. Especially when there’s a long line of vehicles. I don’t care how important you think I am… I don’t have the power to control the cars in front of me.

• Passing lanes do not change the speed limit. If you were going 55mph before, don’t speed up to 70 thus preventing anyone from passing you during the passing lane section then slowing back down to 55mph reforming the long line that was trying to get around you. I drive on a lot of two lane roads with rare passing lane sections, so this is a frequent experience for me.

and the worst for me:

• It happens all too often that I catch up to a car then try to pass it and it speeds up and then is tailgating me when I move back over… usually eventually passing me. I’m sorry, but if I have cruise on and catch up to you, you were not driving faster than me.

Unfortunately road rage venting doesn’t help much since I’ll just encounter something else annoying in about 30 minutes when I head to lunch. To end on a good note though, I was in one of those “why isn’t there a cop around when you need one” situations this morning… some idiot was weaving back and worth between lanes being impatient. Well to my pleasant surprise not long after he went by me, a state cop car flies by and pulls him over.

Just returned from a short jaunt to the grocery store. I have two words to add to this thread

CELL PHONES

Sorry, two words won’t cut it. Our brains just aren’t wired to do two things at a time, we can drive or we can have a conversation on the phone. An in-vehicle conversation isn’t quite as bad, you can say “hold it a minute, gotta merge” and the occupants are willing to be quiet as their life is on the line also. The person on the other end of the cell phone doesn’t have a stake in it so carries on the conversation and we’re just obliged to keep talking. A person on a cell phone is more dangerous than a drunk driver. I’d rather have a moderately drunk person or some stoner smoking a big ol’ fatty on the road than someone on a cell phone. At least the loaded ones are usually paranoid and more cautious.

Think you can do two things at once and do them both well? Try this: while typing a post lift your right leg once and then your left leg twice, keep doing that until you’re through typing. I’l guaran-damn-tee you that at some point you’ll either mess up the leg thing or the post will be illegible.

Cars should not start if there’s a cell phone turned on and if it’s turned on while the car is running there should be a 30 second warning and then it will gradually come to a stop.

Where’s that rant smiley when you need it?

edit: thanks to cruzer:

[quote user=“cruzer”]

[/quote]

why thank you darlin’

[quote user=“holmesdog”]

I believe that, I had to spent 3 days in Roswell for some training. It was a nightmare finding the training venue from the hotel. After that harrowing experience every day I found a restaurant on the same side of the street within walking distance of my hotel and ate there 3 times just to avoid driving. And that’s a suburb, I’ve driven through Atlanta on the way to Florida, it’s just a matter of keeping up with the flow and getting through. I end up with sore hands from gripping the steering wheel in fear![/quote]

Boston is the place I never want to be behind the wheel again.

I dom’t feel like going into detail just now, but the jerk in the 7-series BMW did seem to get my message and back off, after I waved my car-rental agreement at him. One thing’s for sure after that, every time I rent a car in a city I’ve never been to before, I pay for the collision coverage at least that first time.

[quote user=“cazzers”]

hah, if you try to use a blinker in the Atl to indicate a lane change, people will actually speed up so you can’t get over. you have to just go for it…[/quote]

Not at all… I’ll always signal - but as soon as I see you speed up THAT’S when I cutover. At least then I know you saw me and my cutting in wasn’t a total surprise.

Also - This vent is to people who get “concerned” over road rage and like to slow down in the left lane when they’re being tailgated - here’s a bottom line tip above all others. If you are in the left lane and someone is going faster than you, GET OVER. Period. There is no discussion. There is no commentary to the contrary that extends beyond ego. Ever. There is no “I’m going the speed limit and you shouldn’t tailgate” or any other blah blah blah. Nada. Zip. ad infinitum, ad nauseum. I don’t care what your excuse is. So what if there are other open lanes. Passing on the right is unsafe, so don’t encourage the behavior. “But he’s tailgating me”, news flash - I don’t care. Move over. “You’re going faster than the speed limit”, again, don’t care - you’re not a cop and if you are and I’m dumb enough to ride your tail and haul buns past you, I deserve what I get.

Bottom line is move over and keep to the right if you want to be slower than anyone else trying to pass you. It’s not rocket science. Lose the ego. Stop being so freakin self-righteous. At least in Texas it’s the law - if you go slower than other traffic trying to pass - move over to the right. This really is one of those black-and-white issues with so little grey area as to be hardly worth a footnote.

It’s really the ONE MAJOR peeve I have. To anyone going slow in the left lane that got crunched - oh, so sad. You get no sympathy from me. The law may be on your side, but I really don’t care if you’re crippled now or your family of chinchillas or guniea pigs you just bought at the pet store in the backseat were turned into pate’ or burst into flame. IMHO you were the one with the ego trying to “force” a situation under your control and lost the gamble. It’s just like when I travel to LA every now and again for busness - yeah, I know the pedestrian has the right of way, but when I’m walking across the street I’m not one to jump on my justified high horse and argue the point with a 2500 pound piece of metal. I might win in theory, but I’d still be a hood ornament. My desire to martyr the cause for nonsensical self-righteousness doesn’t exist. I’ll leave that to the “I’ll Show You” pokers in the left lane that cause accidents…

:slight_smile:

Ahh… Wow - that feels MUCH better!

[quote user=“spiritgreywolf”]

Also - This vent is to people who get “concerned” over road rage and like to slow down in the left lane when they’re being tailgated - here’s a bottom line tip above all others.

Ahh… Wow - that feels MUCH better![/quote]

Dang. That was a nice vent! Course, I agree with you. What I don’t like is when you’re on a four lane, in the process of passing someone when you get tailgated by someone coming up at approximately mach 10. Those persons need to back the hell off and let you complete your perfectly legal passing maneuver.

[quote user=“Binaural”]

What I don’t like is when you’re on a four lane, in the process of passing someone when you get tailgated by someone coming up at approximately mach 10. Those persons need to back the hell off and let you complete your perfectly legal passing maneuver.[/quote]

I can see your point especially if you’re on hilly terrain and one moment you see in your left mirror everything is clear, then the next moment “CLING!” and he’s right right on your tail and larger than life in your rearview. Those people aren’t doing what I would call “driving safe speed for conditions” and rightfully should back off.

Now, as long as the guy passing is making an effort to get around the slower vehicle, and not going neck-and-neck in a 55MPH speed-limit race, groovy. The ones that should be churned in pig excrement and left to suffer in a wide open field are those that pull out and hang tight just to slow YOU down. (Please refer to my earlier rant) :wink:

I have another one, as long as we’re venting. People that pull out of a side street or driveway into the center lane. For God’s sake, when you get into the center lane, stop. Then go when you have a clear spot. Don’t keep traveling like it’s your own little lane. A, I might want to get in that lane to turn. B, I don’t have any idea if you’re going to wait or you’re going to pull out in front of me. Thank you.

Bump

Hi Pooflady - if I understand what Obob was trying to tell us, instead of going through a long involved explanation of why I posted here to bring it back to the top I just type “Bump” in any thread that I want to come back to the top. I understand the logic but somehow I’m compelled to add an explanation if I’m doing it for someone who’s not as “forum savvy” as we’ve become.

There’s no magic in “Bump”, you can either type only that one word or explain why you’ve moved it up.

Howya doing?

[quote user=“holmesdog”]Hi Pooflady - if I understand what Obob was trying to tell us, instead of going through a long involved explanation of why I posted here to bring it back to the top I just type “Bump” in any thread that I want to come back to the top. I understand the logic but somehow I’m compelled to add an explanation if I’m doing it for someone who’s not as “forum savvy” as we’ve become.

There’s no magic in “Bump”, you can either type only that one word or explain why you’ve moved it up.

Howya doing?[/quote]

Thank you. Just copied and printed this, too. Going to have a whole file of instructions pretty soon.