Roaring Brook Dairy Mozzarella Cheesemaking Kit

I would assume, though I haven’t found nor can I seem to find what type of rennet is included that since it does not specify whether it is animal or vegetable derived, I would assume for now its animal derived. Usually (though not in all cases of course) if it is a vegetable derived rennet it specifies it as such, and non-specified is animal derived. I’ve been wrong before and I wouldn’t mind being proven wrong if it clears the mystery. As I stated however, I have not and can not find an answer period short of contacting the company at normal human hours and asking them directly.

It’s not homogenization you need to worry about, it’s pasteurization. Most drinking milk is ultra-pasteurized and won’t make cheese. Single pasteurized works for 30 minute mozzarella and other fresh cheeses. I use an organic whole milk from Whole Foods (expensive, but good) and make 30 minute mozz every month or so. I got my stuff from cheesemaking.com. It’s fun. It’s tasty. This looks like a good starter kit. You’ll still need a good stainless 6 qt. pot and a 4 qt. microwavable bowl and a good sturdy strainer spoon. I picked those up at Ikea cheap.

Winefarm didn’t labrat this?

Oh, I suppose I should add for any confused people wondering what rennet is or why people care what it’s derived from, the simple answer is vegetarians need to check the rennet source in their cheese because not all cheese is vegetarian.

• Rennet (play /ˈrɛnɪt/) is a complex of enzymes produced in any mammalian stomach to digest the mother’s milk, and is often used in the production of cheese. Rennet contains many enzymes, including a proteolytic enzyme (protease) that coagulates the milk, causing it to separate into solids (curds) and liquid (whey). The active enzyme in rennet is called chymosin or rennin (EC 3.4.23.4) but there are also other important enzymes in it, e.g., pepsin and lipase. There are non-animal sources for rennet that are suitable for vegetarian consumption.
    (Stolen from Wikipedia)
1 Like

From cheesemaking.com (or on Amazon) you can get a kit that makes not 4 but 40 pounds of mozzarella for $24.49, or less than double this one.

Their kit contains a Dairy Thermometer, Butter Muslin, Citric Acid, Vegetable Rennet Tablets, Cheese Salt, and a Recipe Booklet

They have lots of other great cheese making supplies, as well, and an informative newsletter.

They sell both veg and calf rennet.

Sorry, wine.woot – not this time.

There’s always free super-saver shipping on orders over $25 if you’re not a Prime subscriber. It’s not a big jump between $18 to $25 – you can buy something small (a DVD perhaps?) and save the shipping.

Also, if you have a .edu email address, you can get Prime for free. You don’t get the free streaming videos included with that kind of Prime account, but it is good for free two-day shipping.

Someone has to say it. It might as well be me.

“Blessed are the cheese makers!”

Provel is actually a combination of cheddar, provolone, and swiss. STL representin’ here too. Even though I’m a New Orleans transplant.

I don’t think most drinking milk is ultra-pasteurized. That type of milk usually as a date that is 2 to 3 months in advance, if it’s the fresh stuff in the cold section, or a year or more, if it’s in the unrefrigerated aile. Most milk you find has a best by/expiration date within 2 weeks of the purchase date.

Also, if you have a .edu email address, you can get Prime for free. You don’t get the free streaming videos included with that kind of Prime account, but it is good for free two-day shipping.
[/quote]

How do you sign up for free with a .edu email?

Sure, but then you’re spending at least an extra $5.01 (if you find something that happens to land you right on $25), to “save” $1.49 over the Woot price, which really isn’t saving you anything, because you’re spending more.

Say, how do you get prime with a .edu address? My wife has one and I could use free shipping!

This item is available for Subscribe and Save, which not only gives you free shipping, but also lowers the price further.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XLWTIO/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

$15.73 shipped on Amazon, with or without Prime… in before they raise their prices to make Woot look better!

Just FYI, This available on Amazon for $18.50 + Free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime.

Granted it’s still a great deal it seems like. =)

loo late

Umm… you are aware that MILK (used to make cheese) comes from an ANIMAL, right? The trivial amount of “enzymes” in rennet are nothing compared to the bulk of cheese’s composition: milk from cows. Rennet isn’t MEAT, which is what vegetarians generally don’t eat.

Perhaps you’re thinking of vegans, who don’t eat anything derived from animal sources, in which case cheese would be off limits anyway.

Either way, I’ve never heard of a vegetarian avoiding cheese due to the rennet content. If you’re concerned with rennet, you should be far more concerned with cow’s milk.

Yes but rennet is gotten usually from the the stomach linings of dead animals while milk is not. Some vegetarians are vegetarian because they tend to dislike having animals die to feed them not just health reasons.

I’m stoked to see all my fellow St Louisans representing. Provel is such a highly polarizing cheese, but count me in as a lover. I’ll take it over mozz any day. Roped provel on a salad, melted on pizza, garlic bread, whatever. I keep some in my fridge at all times in case of a cheese emergency. Great write-up, Woot. The only thing you missed is that you failed to mention toasted ravs.

You thought the provel comment was blaphemy? Didn’t you make it to that line about becoming a Cubs fan? A Cubs fan!!! I can’t believe life has gotten that bad for the writing team! I’m 20-years removed from St. Louis, and I still pull for the Cards!

They should totally woot some Maull’s to make up for that.

So, what you’re saying is that vegetarians should just walk away from rennet? Sorry, I couldn’t resist!

And they took the item down at Amazon. Now only available from “Touch of Europe” for $30. That is really shady.

The reviews at least seem generally good over there- only 1 star was someone who received a damaged one.