Roaring Brook Dairy Mozzarella Cheesemaking Kit

I think they meant to put this on Kids.Woot…

This thing would be great if you want to, you know, make cheese.

Wow the uppper midwest looks quite cheesy…I’ll patiently wait for some killer Pinot please!

in for 1! i’ve always wanted to dabble in the lost arts of our forefathers

wow, who knew that mozzarella cheese would be such a hot button issue!!? It’s cheese people. Stop acting like you’ve never seen non-alcoholic stuph for sale on wine.woot. I didn’t hear any of you whine.wooters complaining when they had the scrumpdillyicious balsamic a few weeks ago. In for one, thanks woot!

You’d figure someone who’s lactose intolerant should be more familiar w/ the lactic fermentation process.

I bought it. I thought it was a lot harder and time consuming than the directions said. You do need a stainless steel pot which I didn’t have, so that might have made a difference. I like store bought cheese better considering all the work.

Definitely. I was going to tell them I make root beer floats with Breyers Carb Smart ice cream and diet A&W because sugar makes me sick.

These seem awesome, and I love cheese. However with the Amazon S&S price being so close, I’m not tempted to get it.

I don’t need a cheesemaking kit, but I appreciate the STL shout-out!

I LOVE cheese and make my own ricotta, so I’m in for two. I love the idea of being able to make it at home. I can’t drink milk, but cat eat cheese (yes, my body hates me).

I also can’t drink alcohol, so I love when wine.woot comes up with foodstuff!

If you’re already making ricotta, arent you like 1 step behind making mozzarrella?

My ricotta is just whole milk and buttermilk (1 gallon to 1 quart), and I really could use a thermometer that I can keep on the pot, instead of my instant-read that I have to stick in and take out. I figure this is enough to get the process down, then I’ll get the ingredients locally.

I see. Just curious.

I remember when I tried making mozzarella, I often had to settle for ricotta because I could never get it packed properly =(

Just an FYI, you can’t make ricotta from the whey if it’s acidified by citric acid- you have to culture it to acidify it.

I haven’t tried making it that way. I tried once and spent $20 on a kit, $8 on good milk and ended up with cheese that wasn’t as good as Bel Gioso from Costco (which was twice as much cheese for ~$12 as I made with $8 of milk).

Kudos to the STL native who wrote that description. As a former denizen (Tower Grove), it had me giggling insanely.

Low lactose isn’t zero lactose though. Most mozzarella is low. I avoid it generally, as it’s not consistent, sometimes I’m fine, sometimes not. Other people may be luckier than I am.

Thanks for the heads up, Cocontom. It hadn’t occurred to me (yet) to make ricotta with the whey from making mozzarella. It probably would have later.

Being single without a full-sized freezer, I gave up the Costco membership after my divorce. It just wasn’t worth the annual membership for TP. We did just get a Trader Joe’s in town, and they have some great prices on alot of cheeses, compared to other stores nearby.

Just wanted to add my $0.02

Fresh mozzarella is a lot better than ‘fresh’ mozzarella that you buy at costco, trader joes or even the fancy cheese rotunda at your local grocery store.

That’s because a true “Fresh” mozzarella will lose it’s great taste after the first refrigeration.** Anybody that has made mozzarella will concur with me. It’s decline in quality it similar to that of a fresh-out-of-the-over cinnamon roll or donut - once cooled down it will never be as good as when it came out of the over the first time.

Lastly - don’t skimp on the milk you purchase. Go straight to the whole foods market and buy the raw milk. If you can’t get raw(unpasturized) milk, then get Vitamin D Whole milk that is the freshest you can get. Trust me on this.

Happy cheese making!

**Same thing with shrimp - shrimp that is caught and cooked (similar to lobster) will always taste better than the “fresh”(raw) stuff that has ben frozen and/or refrigerated at the grocery store.

Any reason why this hasn’t shipped yet?

I was going to ask the same thing. Today makes 9 business days.