Robot Dance

So, you see, there’s this character in the series named Zaphod. And he nicknamed him Marvin, the Paranoid Android. So, as pithy and astute as your marvellous observation is, that is nonetheless what he is called. Douglas Adams (only the author of the books, I know, but I’m going to reach a bit and grant that this qualifies him somewhat) referred to him in that fashion.

So, about that thing you said,… That’s nice, but perhaps you might yourself read the series. If you can time travel back 33ish years, you might be able to to read it as much as I have.

By the same logic, Ripley wearing the loader suit in Aliens is also a cyborg. Daleks live inside their battlesuits, not as an incorporated organic component of one.

Technically Robocop isn’t a robot either, but honestly, are we going to split hairs over cyborgs and robots?

Daleks aren’t cyborgs either. A knight in armor is still a knight; not an armor that has a knight inside. If you get what i mean. Robocop was a more fused cybernetic organism, rather than an organism in a battle suit.

In the spirit of massivd overanalysis (because why not) did Data have any organic compounds? I thought he was totally artificial? Theoretically, wouldn’t we consider Data a robot?

I’m actually starting to love this discussion more than the shirt…proceed

Data is in the style of Schroeder. Seems like a “Spot” on reference to Schrödinger’s cat. Where all forms of AI are both considered simultaneously alive and not alive until they are opened and observed.

Daleks are 100% organic with a crunchy outer shell. Robocop is mostly machine, and it could be argued if he is still alive. Zaphod was arrogant and not all that intelligent. I wouldn’t trust his powers of observation. Two heads are not always better than one. He may have called the robot paranoid, but the robot was definitely bringing everyone down with his depressing attitude. Couldn’t help it. It was programmed that way.

And where is ROBBY THE ROBOT??? This shirt is tempting even with the inclusion of cyborgs.

Actually yes they are. Their organic components are grown in incubators until being permanently transplanted into the Dalek casing, where the nerve endings are bonded to the electronics, and the computer systems help control the Kaled’s memory (see: “Into the Dalek” - Capaldi). The Kaled cannot live without the support of its casing.

Daleks definitely are cyborgs.

So are Cybermen for that matter, obviously.

Can we put this discussion on a shirt? Classic…

Can someone please post a list of who is on this shirt? I know some of them but not all.

I know everyone is in love with American Apparel shirts, but I have hundreds of Woot shirts and I buy them as cheap as I can. I’m getting a little tired of Woot suddenly running out of the “standard” shirts at 7:30 in the morning so that I have to buy the more expensive ones… ok, rant over.

At the risk of showing my total geek, they are from bottom left, vaguely clockwise–

Data (with Spot) (Star Trek)
Baymax (Big Hero 6)
C3PO (Star Wars)
Dot Matrix (Spaceballs)
Dalek (not going into whether it’s a robot or not)
Robocop (ditto)
Bender (Futurama)
R2D2 (SW again)
Rosie!! (Jetsons)
Marvin (Hitchhiker’s Guide)
Astroboy
WALL-E

I’m also enjoying the discussion as much as the shirt!

>'Kat

I was expecting to see Tom Servo or Crow in here. I guess they’re busy on the satellite of love.

I miss Robbie and Robot from Lost in Space

Disappointed to see two from Star Wars and a non-robot (Dalek) but no Johnny 5 or Small Wonder.

Data is also the wrong color on the shirt. He was more of a greyish or yellowish color in the show/movies.

And yes I agree, they missed some.
Robbie, Terminator, any Transformer, and Johnny 5 just to name a few.

I would’ve preferred Robot, too. They could’ve had Dot play the bass, then put Robot where Dot is.

Of course, I also despised C3PO, even as a child first time seeing Star Wars.

Yeah, Robot flailing his arms would’ve been awesome here.

>'Kat

So good, congrats Wences!

No K-9?