Robots Save the World: Derby 191 Sponsored By Evangelion 2.22 and FUNimation Entertainment

Metallic Ink is optional, right?

I swear… No other show has ever made me want to ROOT for the creatures trying to wipe all life from the face of the planet. I didn’t think it was possible for there to be an anime where I hated EVERY character. >:|

Sorry for the rant there…

(Seriously though, if you want good robot action check out Gurren Lagann, Macross Frontier, Rahxephon, Vision of Escaflone. Gigantic Formula was pretty decent, Sousei no Aquarion STARTED out pretty good… got wonky during the end)

Looking forward to your sub though Kasey.

I also expect RGlee to submit a couple good designs.

Wish I could enter, as a giant anime nerd I’d really like to win the prize pack. Blu-Rays, Lithos, all that…

(Just got an idea… PM if you’d like to colab anyone)

ooooo, I wasn’t expecting this till later! I could definitely use a memorex 6’ hdmi cable, so I’ll be going for first place here. Good thing I’m amazing at drawing robots. wait, no, I’m not amazing at drawing robots. Hmmm, might just have to buy that cable myself.

What a cool challenge! The lead time is a great bonus, although in a way it makes it harder to pick an idea to go with. Especially as there are no restrictions. Usually the tight deadline forces your choice in the first couple of hours.

Hmm!

Yeah, what is the point of the sponser picking their favorite if it doesn’t print? All the loot sounds nice, but I’m sure most artists would trade it for having their design printed even if it didn’t sell very well.

It is a special event, maybe Woot prints the Funimation print on Monday like an EC or something.

Wow, really excited about this one! Here’s my initial sketch, but I really want the woot community’s take on it:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SeUpqJ-3OZo/TX-DdliXC4I/AAAAAAAAAFA/XcY2bXbMm9A/s320/photo.jpg

In case it doesn’t read so well in the sketch, the robot is holding Japan out of reach of the lizard-monster. I mean this as an allegory for the awesomeness of Japanese people and their technology and spirit in overcoming natural disaster, but I know that what I intend and what is received is different. Shirt Wooters, is this a questionable image? Do you think anyone would take offense? This would be the last thing I’d want!

And here I thought I’d be giving my robot another break this week …

FUNimation’s pick gets the prize pack of anime goodies but there are no plans for it to be printed.

Incidental text only (so no slogans, wordy text bubbles, etc.) We’ll be adding that to the rules today. However there are no other restrictions for this derby.

Aww, gee whiz. Even if it’s really really good?

Ok, have my old colab partner working on one of my idea.

Have one other idea I just drew up. Looking for a proper draw-er of things. :smiley:

Seriously… I curse my inability to draw.

Kevlar is right, Patrickspens has already printed a similar design. However, I think yours is different enough (with the animals around) to be okay, especially if you switch the plant in the hands to something else. Baby bird, perhaps.

That said, I LOVE your design so far - totally something I would wear.

Sounds fun. I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

I was bored and was doodling robots in class yesterday! This makes me so excited because I was coming up with some ideas I reeeally liked! Three bio exams this week aren’t standing in the way of me entering this derby, no sirree, too excited!!

While personally, I think it is a fine idea, I imagine people could think you are including Japan to generate “solidarity votes”.

So, in that trailer starting at 1:23, am I the only one who hears the chorus singing “b*tches and hoes” over and over again?

robots will be fun. I like LCD tvs and the spirit of a big competition.
i just hope THEY don’t like any design i come up with, because i reeeeaaallly don’t like anime.

althought the majority of voters may or may not be offended I think approaching whats going on Japan in this fashion may not be the best choice. What they are going through appears to be much graver than how you are approaching it. My advice would be possibly go with a more serious approach. How that looks I can’t recommentd but that’s my persective in the matter because I have seen some other designs using Godzilla which didn’t seem right to me, “right” in an awkward kind of way not moral or objective.

I think we’re going to see what you touched on here throughout this derby, seeing as how giant planet-saving robots are very synonymous with Japan. It’s just unfortunate timing that this derby is coinciding with such a huge disaster there, and I’d bet a lot of entries are going to hit on the notes of large scale damage of cities, just by the nature of the design theme. Hell, I’ve got an idea that doesn’t specifically reference Japan at all but might seem crass given what’s happened.

It is similar to Patrick’s in the sense that they both have a robot and a plant, but the concept, character, and plant are completely different.

I really want to keep the plant in there because the idea behind this is all about restoration. Not only does this hero save the world from complete destruction, but this hero also take the time to ensure that life is sustainable thereafter. Planting the plant is a great way to symbolize that.

I think since we have the extra time, I will create your baby bird as back-up incase it gets rejected. I think its a good alternative, but it won’t make the original concept as solid in my opinion.