Rock Hollow Merlot Six-Pack

Wallet rested this week, thanks(?), NH liquor commish. Or whomever.

I’m not a particularly well-educated wine-liker, but I’d sworn off merlot years before seeing the movie because in my experience it was the wine equivalent of having a coke: the variety made and sold to quietly not be interesting while people talked about other things. The quality of the average merlot was (and maybe still is) mild, bland, and not much else. Also note that French wines labeled by the variety are made for export without, really, anyone’s name or region attached to it on the assumption that someone who doesn’t know and doesn’t care is going to drink it.

Sure, there are probably a lot of good merlot-based wines, but you’ve got to try a lot of crap to get a decent one. You’d have better luck (here in NYC at least) just getting a bordeaux and taking your chances because you’re likely to get something more interesting (in my not-too-informed opinion).

-Peter

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 4.313s

Last wooter to woot: alfisti13

In for two, completing the trifecta! Great to have $7.08 a bottle wine around for daily drinker, for people who don’t know good wine, and to keep the cabinet close to capacity! I love you, woot wine!

Hey Everyone. I can’t believe the trashing Merlot has received since “The Movie” came out. Merlot was still the second largest variety of red grapes crushed for the 2007 harvest at just over 304,000 tons in California. What this tells me is that there are a lot of closet mMerlot drinkers out there.
This is a very straight forward Merlot with ripe cherry fruit, soft tannins and some acidity which helps carry the finish along. It also has a nice level of oak which adds another layer to the wine. Again, serve it at cellar temperature and everything should taste nice and balanced. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

One of the interesting points in the movie was that Miles coveted bottle of 1961 Chateau Cheval-Blanc was predominately a blend of Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Such is the irony.

Here’s a useless observation, (cause I’m good at that).
In the picture of the Cab 6-pak the bottles are arranged in a concave fashion.
The Chardonnay is in a diagonal from the front right to the back left.
And the Merlot is in a convex configuration.

Head over to the pub, if you are interested, where I have posted the order of finish for tomorrow’s Kentucky Derby.

In my youth in Sonoma County, there was almost no Merlot planted, and precious little in Napa – much of which was used by Louis Martini and John Daniel for blending (though if I recall correctly Daniel’s winemaker, Georges Deuer preferred cabernet franc for blending in the Inglenook cask cabs of the day). The BV cabs were 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. I think Bob Mondavi started blending in Merlot in the '60s.

In those days, the most widely planted red grape was Zinfandel, with Carignan (gag) probably a close second. There was bit of Petit Sirah and some Gamay Beaujelais, and some Alicante Bouschet left over from Prohibition. Everything else was pretty small acreage, even Pinot Noir. Things like Barbera, Sangiovese, etc were literally tiny, around 50 acres or so in the whole state.

My palate was developed beginning towards the end of the '50s and during the '60s, so the California reds I drank were mostly Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel, both of which remain favorites. In Bordeaux we drank pretty much only Medocs, and my grandfather was especially partial to Pauillac. As a result, my preferences are rather old-fashioned, I look less for forward fruit than sold structure and balance, with aging potential.

I think you’re right there are lots of people who drink Merlot (and it’s amusing that the bozo wine snob Miles’ treasure is probably around 1/2 Merlot)

OT-

Congrats to w00t (et al) for 22 million forum posts (almost a thousand of which are my fault)! Keep on chuggin’!

[edit] And a bracket officially makes me a Dumass! Back to your regularly scheduled forum…

I think you’ve miscounted by a zero…

Ok, so i’ve got time to kill at work today, and cilcked on your sig. Did you really purchase all those woot tshirts, or just posted pix of the ones you like???

I’m not in the closet at all - there is plenty of Merlot out there which I like. I’m not in on this Woot because I tend to get my everyday table wine more locally and don’t want to stock up on something I may or may not like. For me, at this price point, I like to try lots of different wines. If I find a red that I like, I’ll buy a bunch. The Mandolina quartet was a good example of that for me - luckily it showed up again in a woot off!

Interesting comment about how your palate was developed. When I first started drinking wine, I worked at a restaurant where I was able to drink quite a lot of St. Francis Merlot. In retrospect, I think that had a lot to do with the types of wines I gravitated towards in college and even thereafter!
Right now the corner grocery store has a St. Francis “red” or something which tastes like it has a lot of merlot and it kind of reminds me/takes me back to a time in my life when I was doing homework in the afternoon, waiting tables at night and drinking wine into the wee hours of the morning…

I would say that it was fairly widespread among serious California wine drinkers up until about 1975 (perhaps even later) to drink Zinfandel (or a generic that one knew to be mostly Zinfandel and was a particular bargain) as an ‘everyday’ red wine and Cabernet Sauvignon as a ‘good dinner’ or ‘special occasion’ red wine. California Pinot Noir was usually pretty thin stuff in those days.

Unfortunately, in my (admittedly limited) experience and modest price point, that seems to still be true today. Do you have any recommendation for a “sound commercial” pinot noir?

I cannot find anything about shirts in his links … where did you see it?

Go to his myspace, and then click on “pics”. They are in one of the albums.

I have found LaCrema to be pretty decent for the price (~20) recently.

You can’t get decent Burgundy village appellation wines for less than 20 anymore, and even simple Burgundy appellation can come in around that with the Euro being so strong. It works well with food I’d serve modest Burgundy with.

I think we’re going back to the time when PInot Noir/Burgundy is getting to be a special occasion wine, not something you can drink every day. The past 5-10 years, you could get quite decent Burgundies, even village wines, for under 20, the only reason to drink Cotes du Rhone Villages was for variety. If one could drink quite servicable commercial Burgundy for that price, why pay $30+ even for good California Pinot Noir.

For historical reasons:

Rock Hollow Merlot Six-Pack
$39.99 + $5 shipping
condition: Red
product: 6 2005 Rock Hollow Central Coast Merlot

:slight_smile:

RPM, I think you are right about Pinot Noir becoming a special occasion wine. It seems like the only ones I really like these days are some single vineyard PNs from Oregon and they usually are priced at $40 or higher.

Your comment about Cotes du Rhone Villages … these are wines I don’t associate with Pinot Noir/Burgundy at all. Are you saying they are comparable?

Merlot… while I would certainly agree that a lot of bad merlot was/is produced in California, it’s important to remember that in Pomerol, where a lot of great wines are produced, Merlot is the predominant grape. But according to the below linked article, that’s a result of the soil in Pomerol.

Note also that Petrus, one of the world’s great wines, is 100% merlot. Petrus actually was going to be Miles’ treasured bottle in Sideways, but “… Christian Moueix, the chateau’s owner, read the script and decided to pass. (Petrus doesn’t exactly need the publicity.) So, instead it was a bottle of 1961 Cheval Blanc—another venerable right-bank Bordeaux, but one from the St. Emilion appellation that is composed principally of cabernet franc…”

just saw the scene :slight_smile:

lol, that being said, i had to put the movie in…wine + woot + comedy… I love it :wink: